Re: Beta Island's change

Burial wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Sorry for the cynicism on my part, it's just that nowadays the idea seems to be floating around that everything we did so far has lead to the current state. While that may be true, I'm pretty sure that if we haven't done anything, we wouldn't have lasted a year. Not every change we do is right, but as the saying goes, only those don’t make mistakes who do nothing.

All I'm going to say is Perpetuum is a wargame. You can't hope to keep players farming with the dream alone that someday it'll all pay off. Get players to Betas, get players to Gammas.

If you read and comprehend anything read this, understand it and remove sparks.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I think we need to stop pretending that a) the current paradigm in any way works and b) one single issue will help. To make the game fun and full again is possible but its going to be painful for the devs (as you need to roll back a little content) and requires a few things to happen. Its been posted about a lot but I've stopped trying because the devs have stopped hearing

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Celebro wrote:

I remember back around 2011 with a huge mining nerf players started leaving in droves.

They said the amount of PVE grind necessary to do PVP was absurd.

Burial wrote:
Celebro wrote:

I remember back around 2011 with a huge mining nerf players started leaving in droves.

They said the amount of PVE grind necessary to do PVP was absurd.

It was more that doing industry on Beta became harder than on Alpha and as most people did Beta industry this was a pita.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita, you sound like a politician of the opposing force of the ruling force.
Because its not your idea, you are against it, and instead of constructively working together with the current course, you are trying to block it and revert it all the time, even if it throws your country back into the stone age. As long you're in the opposition, you have to oppose anything the ruling force does.

(i hope you are better in understanding metaphors then that other kid)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

Everything is working fine, but then people start to become bored and leave- story of Perpetuum apparently.

Of course people get bored and leave, you've made a game based on a pseudo-business model like EVE where making economical choices is a big part of the game, and in your game the most optimal economical choice is to NOT PLAY or COMPETE, because the things to compete over (Beta, Gamma) have no tangible or profitable net gain.

With no reason to fight over anything and create a drain on resources, the only choices left to the players are to keep stacking more zeroes behind more zeroes (because I really need that extra trillion NIC) or not play until a war breaks out and jabber gets pinged.

Not to mention your latest atrocious balancing that made all the players who specialized years of EP into EWar/EnWar/Pelistal be the red headed stepchild in the metagame. And we all know what happens to little red headed stepchildren.

I've been telling you the same thing about Beta since the VERY FIRST TIME you nerfed it when you decided moving titan ore completely off Beta was going to stimulate Alpha - Beta trading.

Continue not listening, you got a great track record there buddy!

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Well that attitude doesn't help but he's not very wrong. The whole games content promotes three months play. The skill tree, the missions that can be maxed in a week, the research that once complete never degrades and the beta dynamic which is ping pong uselessness and anti PvP.

Gamma is the real killer, it encourages you to put all your eggs in one basket and this tends to make a significant amount of people quit when it dies.

You really need to go back to the drawing board and think about the life cycle of the player and game and what you would be doing at each section of it

Annihilator wrote:

Jita, you sound like a politician of the opposing force of the ruling force.
Because its not your idea, you are against it, and instead of constructively working together with the current course, you are trying to block it and revert it all the time, even if it throws your country back into the stone age. As long you're in the opposition, you have to oppose anything the ruling force does.

(i hope you are better in understanding metaphors then that other kid)

I understand what your saying but I don't think that's right. There are plenty of good ideas in the game but some that have directly contributed to its failure. I have ideas about how to fix that but it doesn't make mine better than anyone else's. The original beta fix that caused a beta population explosion was a result of a roundtable and not just me. When we do this good content happens. People are engaged. It works.

34 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2015-06-24 13:15:09)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Everything is working fine, but then people start to become bored and leave- story of Perpetuum apparently.

QFT

Also...

The only thing to drive war in this game is ... epeen? there nothing in the game that would tempt players are try to expand a real empire to control recuses so they can make lots of $$$. I mean i know this isnt the single issue missing from the High level meta of this game but its a factor.

But if you doubt that is true just look at EVEs history full of wars fought over controlling R64s & Tech. moons... up untill a few years ago.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

thanks jita, at least you understand.
Agreed on Gamma
Agreed - PVP in this game is only driven by epeen ->
its even missing the most important factor a game needs: FUN for everyone participating.

Haven't seen a single suggestion yet that would lead new and old player to PvP-enabled zone because ist more "entertaining". All you are always talking about is risk vs. reward, with the reward beeing only, and really only virtual goods that you fear to lose.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Agreed on Gamma
its even missing the most important factor a game needs: FUN for everyone participating.

Haven't seen a single suggestion yet that would lead new and old player to PvP-enabled zone because ist more "entertaining". All you are always talking about is risk vs. reward, with the reward beeing only, and really only virtual goods that you fear to lose.

And thats half the issue, the biggest PvPers don't have to produce anything and so the scales get tipped. You get PvP for PvP's sake. Originally beta worked because the risk vs reward was right AND you needed to produce to keep up with the amount of PvP AND power projection meant that it took considerable time to move from one place to another and scout. This meant you spent 60% of time on your own island doing stuff, 20% on your own island defending it and 20% on others island stopping them doing stuff. Now its 100% of the time stopping someone else and nothing can grow in that level of heat.

Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Agreed on Gamma

And thats half the issue, the biggest PvPers don't have to produce anything and so the scales get tipped. You get PvP for PvP's sake. Originally beta worked because the risk vs reward was right AND you needed to produce to keep up with the amount of PvP AND power projection meant that it took considerable time to move from one place to another and scout. This meant you spent 60% of time on your own island doing stuff, 20% on your own island defending it and 20% on others island stopping them doing stuff. Now its 100% of the time stopping someone else and nothing can grow in that level of heat.

So server wipe?

Remember how everyone laughed and laughed....

I am Perpetuum.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

QFT

Also...

The only thing to drive war in this game is ... epeen? there nothing in the game that would tempt players are try to expand a real empire to control recuses so they can make lots of $$$. I mean i know this isnt the single issue missing from the High level meta of this game but its a factor.

But if you doubt that is true just look at EVEs history full of wars fought over controlling R64s & Tech. moons... up untill a few years ago.

This is a hugely simplified version of what actually happened.  I am guessing this is when you started playing, not at the start.  Its half true.

I am Perpetuum.

39 (edited by Ville 2015-06-25 18:30:35)

Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Agreed on Gamma

Spot on.

Edit:  Which is why we suggested T5 etc... to put the veteran corps back in the middle of farming/grinding producing to get the best equipment; however, when the mission patches go live on Betas and the syndicate shop gets put in, I think maybe we might see people there again.  But its really upto how bad people want an extra 2%.

40 (edited by Perpetuum 2015-06-25 19:52:33)

Ville wrote:
Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Agreed on Gamma

Spot on.

Edit:  Which is why we suggested T5 etc... to put the veteran corps back in the middle of farming/grinding producing to get the best equipment; however, when the mission patches go live on Betas and the syndicate shop gets put in, I think maybe we might see people there again.  But its really upto how bad people want an extra 2%.

Um, no.

That fixes nothing.

It will make the problem worse.

I am Perpetuum.

Jita wrote:

And thats half the issue, the biggest PvPers don't have to produce anything and so the scales get tipped.

Yup, problematic part is anyone looking to live on Beta has to overcome all the hoarding that's been going on for years. Game either needs a huge population boost so asset difference can be run-over with numbers or station locks have to go.

Burial wrote:
Jita wrote:

And thats half the issue, the biggest PvPers don't have to produce anything and so the scales get tipped.

Yup, problematic part is anyone looking to live on Beta has to overcome all the hoarding that's been going on for years. Game either needs a huge population boost so asset difference can be run-over with numbers or station locks have to go.

I fail to understand how the hoarding of vet players has anything to do with station locking.  Are you trying to push an agenda?

Altera wrote:
Burial wrote:
Jita wrote:

I fail to understand how the hoarding of vet players has anything to do with station locking.  Are you trying to push an agenda?

Because people can not live on beta and attack you constantly without need to get more stuff. If you live on beta you don't have that luxary.

44 (edited by Ville 2015-06-26 18:28:11)

Jita wrote:
Altera wrote:
Burial wrote:

Because people can not live on beta and attack you constantly without need to get more stuff. If you live on beta you don't have that luxary.

That doesn't make sense at all.

You can from Alpha:

A.  Grow noralgis.
B.  Go to Beta and mine and teleport out.
Edited: C.  Buy Epi from the market!
Unlocking Betas only discourages the use of Betas...  By putting people in terminals monitoring activity, docking and undocking games.  And putting shield tanked Detectors under stations to hinder the industrial activities on the game, and you know how easy it is to just undock an ERP tanked heavy to pop a scarab coming into the station?  What your asking for would hinder EVERY new entity from going to beta, because every enemy corp would move lithus into the station and just aggravate and ghank people.

Ville wrote:
Jita wrote:
Altera wrote:

That doesn't make sense at all.

You can from Alpha:

A.  Grow noralgis.
B.  Go to Beta and mine and teleport out.
Edited: C.  Buy Epi from the market!
Unlocking Betas only discourages the use of Betas...  By putting people in terminals monitoring activity, docking and undocking games.  And putting shield tanked Detectors under stations to hinder the industrial activities on the game, and you know how easy it is to just undock an ERP tanked heavy to pop a scarab coming into the station?  What your asking for would hinder EVERY new entity from going to beta, because every enemy corp would move lithus into the station and just aggravate and ghank people.

It wouldn't work without other changes.nothing will work on its own.

Alpha is only good for making corporations die of boredom. It's not a PVE game. Look at the population if you think I'm not telling the truth.

The recurring theme of yesteryear is coalition reaching critical mass, capturing all Beta stations and then leaving most unused and empty. Happened like three times now, right? Waste of a perfectly good content creation real-estate. Doesn't promote PVP and doesn't promote population growth.

New corporations need to feel they can achieve something on their own and have anything besides blue donut or a steady career on Alpha to look forward to, and veterans need PVP to continue with the same ol' PVE.

Not some agenda-pushing strat, I said the same thing when we held all the stations. ***'s broken.

Burial wrote:

Alpha is only good for making corporations die of boredom. It's not a PVE game. Look at the population if you think I'm not telling the truth.

The recurring theme of yesteryear is coalition reaching critical mass, capturing all Beta stations and then leaving most unused and empty. Happened like three times now, right? Waste of a perfectly good content creation real-estate. Doesn't promote PVP and doesn't promote population growth.

New corporations need to feel they can achieve something on their own and have anything besides blue donut or a steady career on Alpha to look forward to, and veterans need PVP to continue with the same ol' PVE.

Not some agenda-pushing strat, I said the same thing when we held all the stations. ***'s broken.

Then start moving out, pvp, destroy bots, capture stations and freaking do anything on betas and gammas. You do realise that no matter what the devs do, if you dont move your arse to beta, nothing is going to change?

Burial wrote:

I've been telling you whats wrong for years now:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/82866/#p82866

62nd did fine on it's own.

49 (edited by Burial 2015-06-26 20:01:16)

Illiathos wrote:

Then start moving out, pvp, destroy bots, capture stations and freaking do anything on betas and gammas. You do realise that no matter what the devs do, if you dont move your arse to beta, nothing is going to change?

Eating *** doesn't make it taste any better.

Ville wrote:

62nd did fine on it's own.

They did fine until their Beta was in danger, which forced their hand to joining up with you.

Saha wrote:

Since you've played quite a few MMOs with consiquence I'm sure you know what happens when something of extreeme value which can be taken away is added to the game. It encorages blobing to defend that value. Nature of human beeings I guess. I've seen it many times as I'm sure you've seen it as well. Do you think the game should go in that direction?

Gammas already encourage blobbing. Do we really need the same for Betas?

// Agreed with Sparks, they should just leave 1 for 1 Gamma terminal.

Jita wrote:
Altera wrote:
Burial wrote:

Because people can not live on beta and attack you constantly without need to get more stuff. If you live on beta you don't have that luxury.

You can stage out of the open terminals on the beta 1s.  I still think you are being lazy and want to just be able to harass at your leisure with almost zero actual on-line play time.