Re: Gate Camping Perpetuum endorsed sport

Gate camping is a dreadful game-destroying idea. Please let this thread sink to the bottom and die.

All combat will happen at the same three gates. Everyone will have the same fitting:

- Firearms for maximum short-range damage (no point in fitting lasers, EM, and certainly not missiles),
- The greatest number of sensor amps so they can claim the kill,
- light weight frames so they can run like *** when a larger group threatens to jump through.

So before you endorse this stupid idea, use your brain and think ahead.

Dev's have already said they going fix gate camping, So no worries

Mors Magne wrote:

Gate camping is a dreadful game-destroying idea. Please let this thread sink to the bottom and die.

All combat will happen at the same three gates. Everyone will have the same fitting:

- Firearms for maximum short-range damage (no point in fitting lasers, EM, and certainly not missiles),
- The greatest number of sensor amps so they can claim the kill,
- light weight frames so they can run like *** when a larger group threatens to jump through.

So before you endorse this stupid idea, use your brain and think ahead.

Umad?

->You just lost The Game<-

54 (edited by tRens 2011-01-01 01:03:34)

Yeah..

Gates

30 second invul
if you move it drops
if you turn on a module it drops
if you target someone it drops
if you breath it drops

30 second jump timer

You cannot be interacted with while you have an invul timer. You cannot complain about being locked while unable to act.

Ohh, and for the people out there that think invul timers should be longer. If you're on a slow internet connection so what some people don't even have electricity. If you're unable to purchase a computer that doesn't struggle loading, on low settings, before invul fades, so what [...]

*edit: Offensive. - DEV Zoom

Look at that I've given you sound advice, I care about you, really I do.

Secondly I really like Eclipse Phase and I am thinking of quiting Perpetuum for it. I mean cmon! it has freaking real consequences, no need to have four accounts, and absolutely no safe zones where we are forced to play, "super happy kitty fun quid pro quo kitty kitty fun fun polar adventures online, oh and I see what you're doing! 2"

/sincerity off

55 (edited by tRens 2011-01-01 01:42:34)

This reply was not strong enough and I was forced to remove it. I have standards and limited time.

56 (edited by Mors Magne 2011-01-01 04:06:22)

Neoxx wrote:
Mors Magne wrote:

Gate camping is a dreadful game-destroying idea. Please let this thread sink to the bottom and die...

Umad?

I'm saying that people should be careful what they wish for, because they might get it!
It seems people want Perpetuum to be more like Eve Online with respect to gate camps.
In Eve Online, gate camps are the 'poor man's PvP' - they exist to while away the time until a real battle happens.
The sad thing is that people might feel obliged to partake in a boring gate camp for 'the good of the team'.
In Eve Online, it's the less powerful corps that end up gate camping as a career.
Why devote time to a to a substitute battle when you could concentrate an the real deal?

Mors Magne wrote:
Neoxx wrote:
Mors Magne wrote:

Gate camping is a dreadful game-destroying idea. Please let this thread sink to the bottom and die...

Umad?

I'm saying that people should be careful what they wish for, because they might get it!
It seems people want Perpetuum to be more like Eve Online with respect to gate camps.
In Eve Online, gate camps are the 'poor man's PvP' - they exist to while away the time until a real battle happens.
The sad thing is that people might feel obliged to partake in a boring gate camp for 'the good of the team'.
In Eve Online, it's the less powerful corps that end up gate camping as a career.
Why devote time to a to a substitute battle when you could concentrate an the real deal?

Did you watch the video, just curious.

tRens wrote:
Mors Magne wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

Umad?

I'm saying that people should be careful what they wish for, because they might get it!..

Did you watch the video, just curious.

I've just seen it - I don't know if removing safe zones will make team wars more exciting.

I agree with an experimental change. After all, time developing graphics won't be wasted and neither will player time with regard to EP investment.

The devs may easily be able to adjust things if it doesn't quite work out.

It's not "your" island until you can own it.

Once you can own it then I can see being able to remove the invul and set it to a timer ala eve.

But, again, this isn't eve and shouldn't be forced to be eve in robots.

It's still "Gate Camping" as it is right now, you just never get to shoot anything...

So confused by what your saying Mors, because right now you sit there for hours, doing nothing anyway.  At least you'd bet to shoot something or be shot at if it was timer based.

I fully agree that this needs some changing, would love to see blue zones removed, and not completely persistent.

61 (edited by Socnys 2011-01-02 23:05:46)

This game has been reduced to interventions and gate camping as it is. I do not find fun watching Ewar robots gate camping for hours just to try get in and ither get themselfs blown up or try and get a termis. Respect has allowed MASSES of ewars and i feel other robots are becoming useless to a degree. the blue safe area as it is, needs to go sence we own all the stations at DOM i think we should have the ability to acces the individual gates each outpost owns/closest and be able to pick "what type of gate ould you like" from an available list.

Could be ither a toll for entry before getting to beta but beign forced not to shoot or be shot and only be in the island for X amount of time to trade and what not, if time expires bot its forced log out and moved back to Alpha station or something like this.

Other options more pvp concentrated ould be to simply eliminate the blue area and if u enter no invul, no nothing and can be poped right away.

Why just concentrate in a single option? why not have the personal preference of the CEO owning the outpost to pick w/e the F*** he wants in hes gates.

Before entering any gates you are warn of what setting it is.And thats it no more debating wich way to go, lets just go all of them and see what can we get out of it.

62 (edited by Rob Anybody 2011-01-03 02:42:16)

Well, something needs to change, but just taking away protection as it is now is a non-starter.

I mean, you are intentionally camping the teleporter because you know it is a severe choke.

Then, when people notice you are camping the teleporter, they refuse to engage, because they can see you are camping it.

And then you *** and moan saying that because they are trying to enter a beta island, you should get a free kill with zero risk, and how dare the devs not let you have that?

The fact that you are camping the gates in the first place means you are only trying to get quick kills, not looking for a fair fight.

(In other words, until you can show me a video where you are no where near the gate, and this is a problem, then it's mostly your fault for choosing to camp the gate, instead of trying to catch people off guard when they are actually USING the beta island, imo.)

I think one of the best ways would be to keep the teleporters close to the terminals, as they are now, but also allow some type of beach landing.  As in, you could go to a port on an alpha island and pick ANY spot on a beta island's beaches, and be teleported there.

I would like that much more than random placement, as it would be impossible to keep squads together otherwise.

Then you could talk about getting rid of teleporter protection, as teleports would still be available for speed if you knew the other side was clear, but anyone could get onto the island uncamped by making a beach landing.

Just my 2 cents, anyway.

Sir I am sorry to inform you of this point.

If they remove the Participatory INVULNERABILITY Candy Land area the defenders are at risk as well.

Yes I'm ignoring the fact that there will be scouts on both sides. You cannot fix the fact that people will scout 24/7.

We're at the gate because we have to defend what is ours.

If there were more islands that were 1 step removed from alpha. I mean you would have to go through Beta islands to get to (heh) Gamma islands.

Alpha > Beta

Leave the gates the same.

Beta > Gamma
(Eve like gates)

short invulnerability
short jump timer
if you perform any action your invulnerability timer drops immediately, but the jump timer (session timer) does not.

Gamma <> Gamma (and future islands)

Same as Beta to Gamma, but have people spawn further away from the Gate.

So, just as a poll.

If they create 1 gamma Island, who do you think will move there, be able to defend the gate 24/7, and still have enough man power to raid the Beta Islands?

Somehow the last couples of posts miss the point. If there is a safe zone/timer or not: Its still gate camping.

The only option to prevent gate camping is to remove the gates. If that is not possible, increase the amount of target destinations. If each telepoter could land you on one of 50 possible locations (and there are 3 teleporter to each island) no one will do gate camping anymore.
Only THEN you can expect to have intresting PvP all over the islands.

I like the timer idea and I think Gremrod is right too, about the possibility to jump back safly.
but do you really need 40s to realize you are not in the right place ?
I prefere a shorter timer and the idea of dropping the protection if you engage any modules or move.

Raiser wrote:

Somehow the last couples of posts miss the point. If there is a safe zone/timer or not: Its still gate camping.

The only option to prevent gate camping is to remove the gates. If that is not possible, increase the amount of target destinations. If each telepoter could land you on one of 50 possible locations (and there are 3 teleporter to each island) no one will do gate camping anymore.
Only THEN you can expect to have intresting PvP all over the islands.

I prefer this option because it sounds the most fun.

I think it has the added advantage of allowing more solo adventure.

This is becoming the number one problem Devs!!!

You must not underestimate how this is effecting players in PVP areas.

Please make this a priority - I am seriously worried people with begin leaving if this isnt fixed.

HECK YEAH.
NO PROTECTION ZONES.

OPERATION GATE CAMP GO!

The Game

Yup, slow loading times will kill you

Yay! they fixed them.. i don't like the 45 seconds.. but its a huge step in the right direction.

hurray, 45s... its a pitty if theres already a pvp party camping the teleport and boosting your loading time!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

/thread

->You just lost The Game<-

74 (edited by Snift 2011-01-16 09:18:09)

./reopen

Grats.  Now gate camping takes place on the Alpha islands instead. 

Fail.

Krupp wrote:

Yup, slow loading times will kill you

Nah, its not the slow load time that kills you... Its the squads camping the gate that kill you. Just like its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the end. ^^

As long as there are choke points, they will be camped. If the Dev's want more people to try the beta Islands, how about a gate that doesn't require a set entry point?  All it requires is level, unobstructed ground. Make it a one shot(one bot) projector type thing. Also make it fairly expensive(NIC and Extension wise),and have the same type of cool down as the normal TP.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.