Re: Turrets vs NPCs

no comment hmm

27 (edited by Gizmah 2015-05-12 18:40:21)

I am very new to this game. Yet, building defense towers that does not defend is kind of pointless.

+1 Attack roaming bots

T3xasp3t3 wrote:

i understand your point jita, but you yourself have said gamma is near useless and the red spwans messing up the saftey of bases is screwing with any usefulness there was to begin with. Its something that is a simple and hopefully quick fix to let gamma keep what little usefulness it has.

Actually my point is gamma should be useful but only as a place to gather resources and produce. Thats why I think epriton should be on gamma and mineral spawns should be auto repositioned more than 1km away from a station when its built. Gamma should be lucrative and dangerous with pockets of controlled safety.

We dont have this now - the only thing on gamma thats worth anything - noralgis - can be planted under a guns. Beacons can also be done under guns. Changing red spawns really makes little difference to that dynamic apart from allowing yet more afk mining.

The whole point of the new gamma was to make gamma living better value than anywhere else considerably but roamable as to get that value you needed to be at risk. In that it has failed miserably and this change does not impact that in a good way imo. It's QOL for residents at best.

might be off topic but i'm experiencing some lag when i kill npc's around plants

+1 to your idea DevZ

Still I am not in favour of this, attackers can use npcs in their favour like what happened in alpha, also can't do beacons near your base.

RIP PERPETUUM

i think the red mobs respwaning is a good step forward and i think your base should defend you at the cost of no loot

This is bad. The r espawn rate needs to be slow because otherwise it would be a permanent siege by red industrial spawns. They would neut a base down in a day

if the indy spawns could get in range yea that could be an issue but i doubt they would get in nuet range

+100
this is simply necessary for the next step in your PvE revamp.

Gwyndor wrote:

This is bad. The r espawn rate needs to be slow because otherwise it would be a permanent siege by red industrial spawns. They would neut a base down in a day

red industrial spawns are a joke anyway... npc mining mechs, haulers and harvesters running circles. They should actually be a threat to your noralgis and mineral deposits, not your base...

one thing i see as an issue, is not the base defense that should have no issues with the typical npc spawn constellation,
but all those buildings outside the construction range of a base (mining tower, energy wells, highways, command nodes)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Zoom said they would attack towers not structures but it is a good issue to bring up Zoom would they attack other buildings besides towers or would it be towers alone

Yes, they wouldn't attack any building, just turrets. (which, as we know, are technically robots)

When the red mobs explode will they do aoe damage to structures and turrets?

Gwyndor wrote:

They already do.

What if red mobs shoot a turret. Or building while aiming at a player behind them?

Gwyndor wrote:

would it matter? the resists and hitpoints of turrets are so high, that exploding npc heavies hardly do any damage that is not repaired within 30 seconds by the repair node.

beside that, your gamma base is usually not even reach-able by anything but the assaults, unless you skipped the terraforming part.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Gwyndor wrote:

What if red mobs shoot a turret. Or building while aiming at a player behind them?

that does nothing to the building...

Look this is a all around good idea there isnt much wrong with this as long as its done rite

Make sure you turn the alarm off when NPCs attack turrets. big_smile

What happens when they teleport to a turret behind transformed hills? What happens when other turrets shoot themselves because npc heavies go to 50m from their target?

Gwyndor wrote:

What happens when they teleport to a turret behind transformed hills? What happens when other turrets shoot themselves because npc heavies go to 50m from their target?

question to you... have you ever seen a building getting damage from a blocked shot?

Gwyndor wrote:

What happens when they teleport to a turret behind transformed hills?

That's possible, but as Anni pointed out they would have to hold out for quite a while to be able to bring down that turret. Otherwise you go after them in assaults.

Gwyndor wrote:

What happens when other turrets shoot themselves because npc heavies go to 50m from their target?

I think you overestimate how combat works in this game smile What you say would be only possible in a free-aim combat system, nothing can shoot itself here.

48 (edited by Annihilator 2015-05-12 23:26:05)

DEV Zoom wrote:

I think you overestimate how combat works in this game smile What you say would be only possible in a free-aim combat system, nothing can shoot itself here.

bad phrased by Gwyndor.
when turret "A" shoots at NPC, that is stuck behind Turret "B" - then the LoS check for "indestructible obstacle" failed. In case of a slow flying missile, the missile could actually hit Turret "B", but won't do any damage, since "plants" are the only obstacles ingame that can be damaged/destroyed without beeing "locked" (for whatever reason)

edit:
and if an npc can not be destroyed by a base defense because he moved to close to a turret - then the defense layout is bad anyway

I see far more problems than solutions in this.
The last 4 month the major thread on gamma life was NPCs. You could as well remove wandering NPCs from gamma to have same result.

50 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2015-05-13 15:12:28)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

Zoom.  Why couldn't we allow the to drop loot?  But make beacons only deployable 1 at a time and at least 1500 to 2000 M away from any terminal.

It's not just because of beacons, any roaming spawn comes around and you just undock to pick up the free loot.

UM so what? its another little bonus Gamma islands have other the other types. if anything dont disallow loot drops just make what they drop be a lot less than normal. hell make them drop just the plasma.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue