Topic: Plant-related lag testing

We have deployed a fix for the plant-related lag issues (discussed in this topic, among others) to the test server.

If you have some time, please do some shooting around plants (where the plants get damaged or killed) and see if the situation is better.

Re: Plant-related lag testing

We need to see atleast 20 people on that thing for it to work.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

If I remember correctly, people experienced it with 2-3 participants too in the past. But due to the nature of how things work, it can depend on a lot of things, mostly your "natural" lag and the plant updates sent within a given time.

That's also the reason why not all people experienced it. If your natural lag was low enough, your client was able to cope with larger amounts of incoming data too. But if it was relatively high, the large amounts of plant data basically clogged up your client, it could not keep up with realtime updates, which delayed all the rest of the network data, and it all went downhill from there. (At least that's how I understood it as a non-network expert.)

i'm still waiting for that lawnmower Mr. Zoom.  i'll take a flame thrower or salt, still i'd prefer the salt since hopefully nothing will grow back.  Please, pretty please with cherry on top

Rowboat wrote:

i'm still waiting for that lawnmower Mr. Zoom.  i'll take a flame thrower or salt, still i'd prefer the salt since hopefully nothing will grow back.  Please, pretty please with cherry on top

Salt would be amazing. Something sold by npc to keep plants away. Oh wait. We have concrete oh wait it doesn't work and is insanely expensive

6 (edited by Annihilator 2015-05-06 23:09:04)

trolling aside - are there any indicators (visuals) coded into the PTS client?
edit:
ok, i see you are updating terrain now in a 2x2km square around the robot, with smaller tiles.
i cannot talk about plant-kill lag by weapons-fire as i am not affected at all by it - BUT

i can tell that terraforming with the maximum radius will cause huge lagspikes when you kill plants with it.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Just tried it on the test server. Excellent work!! It was a massive improvement, before I could induce lag up to the 1000's just on my own, but now there was no increase in latency at all. Ping stayed on normal at all times. Will get some more guys online later tomorrow and test again and let you know.