Topic: Lag Monster

Any reason why lag is so bad today (Sunday PDT) ???  Others in gen chat state lag id bad too, so it's not just me.  To be honest, I have never see it this bad.  So I'm wondering if there is a reason.

Re: Lag Monster

Maybe it's time for a server reset..... been over a month since the last one.

It's not the server. Which is unfortunate because we would be able solve that...

No lag for me at all.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Its every Sunday for me.  Every Sunday I get horrible lag\DC and have to vpn in from another virtual location.

I tend to experience the most lag when jumping between islands or undocking after sparking. Not sure if these issues are the same but may also be my end

According to Annihilator there is no more lag.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Phantomburn wrote:

According to Annihilator there is no more lag.

He is right, many players here have awful ISPs. No lag on my side. tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

I have heard a VPN solves 90% of the connection issues. Gonna try it this weekend.

The worst I have got over the last few days was some choppy jumping when I was fighting Inda.

I can macro 5 accounts no problem with my connection on wifi so its probably based on your ISP.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's not the server. Which is unfortunate because we would be able solve that...

Or you could write the code in a manner that requires less packets to be sent to the server and back?

Phantomburn wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Or you could write the code in a manner that requires less packets to be sent to the server and back?

I believe you have forfeit your right to ever discuss lag again.

I have terrible internet.  It's because I live on a small farm right outside the city.  So I'm stuck with DSL.  Slow DSL, upgrading is not an option as I only have one choice.  But we never had experienced this much lag years ago.

I think the problem is mainly 2 things.

The Client now have LOTS of trees to render & they are in very large groups. Back in the day this was not the case.

Bots move much faster now meaning more has to be rendered by the game engine (faster?).

I remember back in Closed BETA we had a lot of speed hackers & in a forum thread one of the DEVs said that the game engine starts to struggle when bots get close to 200km/h. Im guessing that might still be the case. But yet to test that again for my self.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

It's clearly not the server causing lag?  Why?  because there are only 4 people on the server at any given time.
It's clearly not the code causing lag.  Why?  because there are approx 4 lines of code.

It's the host.  So let's use a little brainpower:
http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/netflix/

Is AWS perfect?  Absolutely not. But *** netflix manages to deliver a decent fight scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer without rubber banding her sexy behind all over my television screen - while I'm hosting a minecraft server locally - while playing space engineers - while posting this very post.   And i think that deserves a little attention. Maybe even a drink in their honor.

God forbid we place our servers on an infrastructure that allows us to distribute to different data centers in different availability zones all over the world at essentially the click of a button.  Cloud is evil. Let's not do that.

Why am I saying we?  What am I doing here?

More beer!

Kayin Prime wrote:

It's clearly not the server causing lag?  Why?  because there are only 4 people on the server at any given time.
It's clearly not the code causing lag.  Why?  because there are approx 4 lines of code.

Is AWS perfect?  Absolutely not. But *** netflix manages to deliver a decent fight scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer without rubber banding her sexy behind all over my television screen - while I'm hosting a minecraft server locally - while playing space engineers - while posting this very post.   And i think that deserves a little attention. Maybe even a drink in their honor.

God forbid we place our servers on an infrastructure that allows us to distribute to different data centers in different availability zones all over the world at essentially the click of a button.  Cloud is evil. Let's not do that.

More beer!

all that babble about cloud servers... can you please tell me a f2p mmo that has a single-shard, non-instanced gameworld that is hosted on a cloud server. I would really like to try it out and ask the DEVs of that game how they solved the dynamic scaling to allow 1 to 1k player from all across the world beeing in the same region ingame, but beeing connected to the closest server to their real world location.

thanks

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Kayin Prime wrote:

More beer!

all that babble about cloud servers... can you please tell me a f2p mmo that has a single-shard, non-instanced gameworld that is hosted on a cloud server. I would really like to try it out and ask the DEVs of that game how they solved the dynamic scaling to allow 1 to 1k player from all across the world beeing in the same region ingame, but beeing connected to the closest server to their real world location.

thanks

This is going to be good.

Single instance games don't scale well. That's the definition of a single instance game really.    So how do you go global with them?  Pretty similar to how Eve does it:

Blood, sweat, tears, a badass team of admins,  a single game instance cluster that is proxied across trusted high bandwidth channels. The key being - trusted high bandwidth channels. The in/outlets to those proxy nodes are what can be opened across different availability regions.   It's not too far off from any other high availability network really,  just more latency tolerance you have to build into your application and more streamlining the channel for absolute fastest response.   I built something similar a while back for a global financial app - also using amazon.  Funny story actually about a guy making a purchase on the back of a camel in a desert from an iphone - he was literally on a *** camel ordering *** via iphone.   What I wouldn't give for a picture.

High bandwidth channels like that can be created on cloud infrastructures - as evident by netflix's use of Amazon and Microsoft's crazy performance metrics on Azure they like to brag about.     To do this though - again - requires a rock solid team of badasses and a good chunk of money.  Perp has neither.

But they're already single instanced in a global environment and they're already outsourcing hosting. Nothing I've suggested is new to their chosen solution. I'm simply recommending a host that has proven itself more than whatever the crap they keep hosting their *** on.

This post is far too coherant and not funny enough.  I'm going to go get a beer now.

so, in other words, you can't name even a single one

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

*gets moar popcorn*

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

so he really can't name even a single example and just start offend others as excuse.

We get it.  Your a drunk.  Now answer the question.

I am Perpetuum.

So I guess Zoom purged Kayin Prime's last post smile

I did (and didn't) answer,  then my post got deleted and I got banned.  I just remembered this account still exists.

Inb4 ban in 5...4....3..

-K

Nah..  You should be good for atleast a few days.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.