Re: Servers moved (again) - 2015-04-10

I can confirm what Blocker has said. I noticed the lag issue at the same time the patch was introduced and server shift happened. Now it could be said to be either. However, the server has now shifted again an there looks to be less hops from where I am to the server, but the lag issues still occur. And only in relation to PVP with plants. We also had a fight a day or 2 before, where we were on the teleport station at Xianator and peeps were on the hill - no significant plant attacks, battle went on for a long time and NO LAG.  Yesterday fight, in the trees, N/A lag.  The dots connect quite strongly here. normal ping for me is between 300 - 450 ms.

I have definitely had similar issues in the same circumstances

question: why is plant-data sent via TCP, not UDP?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

No!!!!111. It can't be plants causing lag.....

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

LOL......ville ya sound like the DEV's......perhaps it "POTATO math" causing the lag.   If this happens with 5 -10 in pvp, god forbid we get 20 -50. I so what the game to grow - but really, come on, cut the crap and recognize the issues please.

For the record again...fight on Norhoop....killing Inda...no plants significantly hit and NO LAG.

Annihilator wrote:

question: why is plant-data sent via TCP, not UDP?

Because it is easier/simpler to code with TCP although UDP is much better for time critical data. Just laziness.

RIP PERPETUUM

33 (edited by Ville 2015-04-17 17:38:01)

Rynikwiz wrote:

LOL......ville ya sound like the DEV's......perhaps it "POTATO math" causing the lag.   If this happens with 5 -10 in pvp, god forbid we get 20 -50. I so what the game to grow - but really, come on, cut the crap and recognize the issues please.

But BUT BUT DEV ANNI said that plants aren't causing lag!!!!  You must be mistaken!

I've done some digging and I noticed this got buried without a response on the same page for me, unless I overlooked it.

Annihilator wrote:

Zoom - there are at least two different issues beeing talked about in this topic.

one is the "Lag" issue that doesn't even allow someone to log in, that affects everyone, even those living in proximity of the server,
and the one that is caused by terrain-updates.

the later one needs to be reworked even for non-lag related issues.

can't you rewrite the terrain code in a way that makes terrain data streamed via UDP instead of TCP, and in smaller chunks, and gradually update the whole island even if you don't move until you got the whole thing including tree's actual position?
Any1 would expect that high-tech living robots would have a radial scanner installed that would be able to scan a mere 10-20km radius terrain data...

I was in hardcore troll mode previously, but this is actually a good idea.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Terraforming that damages and kills plants causes some pretty hilarious lag. Get a handful of characters teraforming and see the lag quadruple. It doesn't normally reach N.A. but it is a consistent increase and easily replicated.

im having connection issues. i cant even play i keep getting booted every 2-3 mins.
what can i do? is this the right place to look for help?

Moreth cannab wrote:

im having connection issues. i cant even play i keep getting booted every 2-3 mins.

It helps to develop a drinking habit of the moderate to severe type.

Moreth cannab wrote:

This is how you can help us:

DEV Crm wrote:

When you got logged in - you are on the character select screen - bring the console down with the ` key and type openprofiler + enter. This brings up the profiler window. On the traceroute tab press the trace button. Wait until the it writes: Statistics sent. *** All done!. That's all you have to do, the rest is happening on server side. We collect the traceroute reports and forward the ciritcal ones to further examination to our ISP. They are then able to configure the routing and hopefully you'll get better connectivity.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Moreth cannab wrote:

This is how you can help us:

DEV Crm wrote:

When you got logged in - you are on the character select screen - bring the console down with the ` key and type openprofiler + enter. This brings up the profiler window. On the traceroute tab press the trace button. Wait until the it writes: Statistics sent. *** All done!. That's all you have to do, the rest is happening on server side. We collect the traceroute reports and forward the ciritcal ones to further examination to our ISP. They are then able to configure the routing and hopefully you'll get better connectivity.

Hurry and make that automatic because ninety percent of people think thats too much of abh as ssle

thanks for the suggestion Zoom. unfortunatly i wasnt able to get to the point of completing a trace before i would drop connection. had the guys from my isp come out to take a look at it. turns out my modem(also a router) was butting heads with my personal router.