1 (edited by Rodger Dodger 2011-01-01 04:58:15)

Topic: Restrict Certain Ore To Certain Beta Islands

As part of my ongoing quest to come up with ways to make beta islands more attractive I was listening to a conversation the other night about how alliances on other beta islands let anyone on to mine whatever whenever they like which prevents market cornering.

So I thought what if certain types of ore or plants could only be found on unique beta islands e.g. titan ore was only found on one beta island?

This would could be combined with introduction of new beta islands and generate land grabbing and fights over land that was actually worth more compaired to other islands, beta or alpha.

It would also generate actual alliance negotiations that go beyond "don't shoot our sequers and termis please" plus for those beta islands people don't want to visit then they have a choice, take a big risk for big profits or pay extortionate prices.

It might also make heavy industrial alliances that own beta outposts to rethink their attitude towards the current free for all approach they have if their unique claim on the market was under threat.

Thoughts?

Re: Restrict Certain Ore To Certain Beta Islands

I like this idea, but I think completely excluding the material from alphas/other islands is too strong. Materials that have more deposits, larger deposits, higher regrowth rate, on one island than others can make different markets interestingly different, without going all the way to complete all-or-nothing exclusion.

The devs may have already done this. I don't know whether the materials and plants are evenly distributed among the islands. The in-game markets don't show much difference, at least - which means that either the materials are fairly evenly distributed, or we have sufficient freighting to smooth out the differences. Certainly the different kinds of kernels are different goods, and the PVE is not evenly distributed at all. Assignment-reward ammo is another good that has uneven distribution.

Any other EVE players having Ferrogel flashbacks? roll

4 (edited by Triglav 2011-01-03 13:57:50)

EDIT:

reread your post.

I do not support the idea that certain types of ore should only be located on certain islands unless those ores are only needed to create tier 5 or 6 item and are otherwise unobtainable. Then you can distribute different tier 5/6 items to different islands.

Currently the game is in a state where a lack of any ore anywhere would result in perhaps too chaotic consequences.

Given 3 years? sure why not.

o/

This is the xxx spot.

The only reason alliances are set around one island and not several is that its tactically sound to do so and there is no need currently to go beyond that. If that changes then alliances will change and own several islands. This idea would actually encourage bigger blobs.

Not supported.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

More transparent attempts by Infestation to manipulate the game to play to their strength.

if they get rid of the stupid teleporter system that allows 1 arkhe to scout hostiles with no fear and risk  for something that allows for ninja mining then sure
till then its tricky enough having to collect our eripton unseen as it is
lets not scare new comers off or force them to join with the bloated masses that already control the islands just to build things

Arga wrote:

More transparent attempts by Infestation to manipulate the game to play to their strength.

Because putting certain materials only on islands we do not occupy is in our favor.

->You just lost The Game<-

if anything its against m2s as we'd have a reason to want to own Hokk

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Neoxx wrote:

Because putting certain materials only on islands we do not occupy is in our favor.

So your saying you don't think you can protect your Island? I thought that was Infestation's claim to fame.