Re: More HP for Proximity Probes

Celebro wrote:

Mark my words; there will be no meaningful content ever that will bring 100s of new players, stop deluding yourselves.

So enjoy what you have, if you still like the game.

100s of new players, I would be happy with 10s of new players wink

Celebro wrote:

Mark my words; there will be no meaningful content ever that will bring 100s of new players, stop deluding yourselves.

So enjoy what you have, if you still like the game.

Refer to my observations.  Content does not bring in people.  Steam sales bring in people.  Since a lack of content is what drives people off its logical to hypothesize that more content will keep them there.

The thing is though this content doesn't necessarily have to be PvE or developer driven, but that certainly helps.

-K

There is plenty on content, just no players. FTP is the only hope.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Still valid for the game and this affects everyone.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Make player built probes with more HP (so defending forces have a chance to respond), more AP (same as the last), and I agree that they can have time limits as well.  I also think there should be an explosion radius on them as well.  There is no reason why a free Arkhe should be able to go around and blow up million dollar probes with no consequence.  Which is why I also suggest that Arkhe's should also not be allowed to damage probes as well.  T1 probes 10K HP, 1000AP and a 1 day limit, T2 probes 20K HP, 2000 AP, and a 2 day limit, etc.

* Chameleon mk2  with 1 gun + masker + detector and runs at 150k over nearly all available terrain.

HAS

* Superior vision and speed to anything that can kill it. With the ability to login and logoff wherever it pleases  meaning you can't trap it.

This is not a problem since it can't kill anything or be a threat to a fleet right?

- Implying vision / field intelligence is less dangerous than a fleet of heavies.   INCORRECT.
- Tell me more about how they can't annoyingly destroy probes over and over with extremely low probability of ever being caught.

Balanced!

I must applaud these guys though.  I never had the willpower or desire to do it day in and day out simply to annoy the parent corp. I'm impressed.

Making probes more tanky would certainly add some actual risk to this, but I don't think it'd stop it from happening.

-K

Lesson on balancing:
* Every tactical option must either have a direct counter  OR  have room for counter play. 

Example:
* Rock paper scissors.  Every option has a direct counter. 
* A cavalry unit vs a spear unit.  Long range directly counters short range given all other variables are equal (damage, talent, etc)
* High damage high cool down  gives the lower damage defender opportunity to win.  This is counter play. 

There is no balance if there isn't a direct counter or counter play isn't equally available to both sides of the situation.

-K

Kayin Prime wrote:

* Chameleon mk2  with 1 gun + masker + detector and runs at 150k over nearly all available terrain.

HAS

* Superior vision and speed to anything that can kill it. With the ability to login and logoff wherever it pleases  meaning you can't trap it.

This is not a problem since it can't kill anything or be a threat to a fleet right?

- Implying vision / field intelligence is less dangerous than a fleet of heavies.   INCORRECT.
- Tell me more about how they can't annoyingly destroy probes over and over with extremely low probability of ever being caught.

Balanced!

I must applaud these guys though.  I never had the willpower or desire to do it day in and day out simply to annoy the parent corp. I'm impressed.

Making probes more tanky would certainly add some actual risk to this, but I don't think it'd stop it from happening.

-K

Its buried in three years of forum garbage and I can't search for it.  But the response from the Dev team was:  Probes are not meant to be permanently fixtured gate scouts.  Probes are per operation Base on the island.  The counter to those annoying cams was a detecting long range zenith tackle....so glad we balanced that out!

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Too bad long range zenith tackles don't exist anymore.

Good to know though.  Thank you for the update Dev Phantomburn.

Just call me Ville.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Kayin Prime wrote:

Lesson on balancing:
* Every tactical option must either have a direct counter  OR  have room for counter play. 
* Never be a green pilot

Example:
* Rock paper scissors.  Every option has a direct counter. 
* A cavalry unit vs a spear unit.  Long range directly counters short range given all other variables are equal (damage, talent, etc)
* High damage high cool down  gives the lower damage defender opportunity to win.  This is counter play. 

There is no balance if there isn't a direct counter or counter play isn't equally available to both sides of the situation.

-K

You forgot 1 point on balancing, but i fixed it for you

Keep It Simple!, make Arkhe's like EVE Online shuttle's, can't fit nothing.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

"Probes are not meant to be permanently fixtured gate scouts.  Probes are per operation Base on the island"

So a probe is being used like an extra fixed scout account.....that's a pretty good advantage to have, but counter to the stated purpose above.

The problem is they keep being blown up and not by arkes (that's dumb). The problem seems to be you cant catch the killer....well that's the game folks....set traps, send a real scout.....but to use them as extra scouts is a form of spying (seeing who is there) and enables force projection (by allowing you to fit up, position etc).

It also assist with a perfectly safe Beta and Gamma - that's not right either. There is the right risk reward there - a probe to safeguard the fleet of miners etc.....

Discuss

Problem I had with it was people would put a t1 plate on an arkhe, on their alt account go park it on a probe and wait for you to respond. This killed your probe to aoe and allowed then to safely decide if they wanted to engage you or not.

Bandaid fix arkhes cant target probes and have no aoe. Problem would still be they will annoy you till you kill them.
Better fix would be more armor and ability to remote detonate. I would pay 2 mill to blow up my probe and have the aoe kill a light.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

Probes are expendable.

Arkhes are free.

I'd rather have 10-20 miners churning and lose 60 probes an hour then lose 1 of those miners. A single field yields ~250 probes in value, and I can mine fields a lot faster with less effort then what it will take for alpha hobos to catch up to me.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Lobo wrote:

Problem I had with it was people would put a t1 plate on an arkhe, on their alt account go park it on a probe and wait for you to respond. This killed your probe to aoe and allowed then to safely decide if they wanted to engage you or not.

Bandaid fix arkhes cant target probes and have no aoe. Problem would still be they will annoy you till you kill them.
Better fix would be more armor and ability to remote detonate. I would pay 2 mill to blow up my probe and have the aoe kill a light.

I love this idea.  But how long is the time to detonate?  Is it like the current bombs which take forever to detonate or is it instant (does it give the enemy any indication).  Can you have multiple probes in near vicinity? etc.

This would be super funny to have though

I think current probes are fine. I'm not against adding a more expensive probe with the hit points of an armored teleport.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Lobo wrote:

+1, no AoE on an Arkhe and make Syntec guns unable to kill probes at all

Jita wrote:

I'm not against adding a more expensive probe with the hit points of an armored teleport.

+1

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:
Jita wrote:

I'm not against adding a more expensive probe with the hit points of an armored teleport.

+1

i'm not against a gamma building that is called "Radar station" that does what a proximity probe does, just in an much bigger radius

neither i am against beta islands with upgradable outposts that are a kind of hybrid between the two systems. (similar to no-base building RTS games, where you capture landmarks and reinforce them with variable structures in pre-defined locations)

we need more beta islands anyway.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Probes shouldn't be allowed within X meters of teleporters.

Burial wrote:

Probes shouldn't be allowed within X meters of teleporters.

or under NPC beta stations

sounds about right. you cant deploy mobile teleports near stationary teleports and terminals. so would sound reasonable that probes also need some distance.
whatever the right distance would be...

imho, probe placement under teleports is a population/limited inter-island connection issue.
Since neither can be solved by DEVs in a reasonable timeframe, a minimum placement distance of X meters sounds about right.

(X = allow unmasked light ewar to use the teleport without beeing seen before moving -> because masking modules cannot be activated)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Just remove probes, implement island chat.

RIP PERPETUUM