Topic: Thinking of coming back ... Is this game taking its last breath?

I see alot of hating atm on these forums...
Anyone positive about this game still?
Is it worth playing again?

TLDR on the last year of changes?

Re: Thinking of coming back ... Is this game taking its last breath?

Munchrock wrote:

ATM? Seriously? Really?

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

MoBIoS wrote:
Munchrock wrote:

ATM? Seriously? Really?

I have to wonder how much this guy actually played this game at ANY point in its history smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Munchrock, come and check this out, we have a failry stable playerbase so there is room for you and also to others!

Now the time to join Perpetuum!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Theres 20 dudes playing.

And that's a generous estimate.

Last patch was probably the last nail in the coffin, but who knows. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Honestly it depends what you want to do.  If you enjoying play by yourself in a mmo, then yes it is a great time to play.  If you want social interaction with people, then no.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

There seems to be enough activity to keep me busy. We need more players for sure, but it is ok.

8 (edited by JetNexus 2015-02-11 18:34:38)

Phantomburn wrote:

Honestly it depends what you want to do.  If you enjoying play by yourself in a mmo, then yes it is a great time to play.  If you want social interaction with people, then no.

Since when social interaction with people means playing videogames?

It's sick smile

Personally I'm not sure yet.  I've just returned to it after about a 2 year hiatus due to poor health, and am only 2 days into that return.

The new Prototyping Research seems better than the old system, if a little confusing at first.
I haven't seen the new Gamma personal stations and teraforming stuff yet.

So far there are two main things that disappoint me.  First, that there seems to be a big lack of newer players.  And second, in the past two years there have been no official in game events.

Having worked in the gaming industry in the past, I know how important events and holiday themed games can be to any MMO, sandbox or otherwise.  It's not about the game when it comes to these types of things, it's about the players, and a company's appreciation to those players.  They are normally silly and unimportant, but they are supposed to be.

Give Aways, competitions, holiday treats, Hosted PvP tournaments - all of these can help with the lifespan of a game.  One of the biggest driving forces behind Eve Online's growth was the annual PvP tournaments.  Not only hosted, but also podcasted with real player guests at the company offices.  It's something called a "cool factor."  When a game company does something a bit out of the ordinary that any gamer, even a diehard troll, will admit to that action being, well, cool.  When your only "event" is some sales on a product, that's just not cool.  It seems more about a company asking for money from gamers, albeit in a smaller amount per purchase sort of thing.

Both of these I think are a part of the same problem, that hundreds of other games have had as well.  That being player retention.  So again I'll restate, I'm not sure yet.

The lack of customer service on the front end of this game is overwhelming.

Phantomburn wrote:

Actually Elite Dangerous is a more fun single player alternative to this game.   You can't do much in this game by yourself.

My major problem is the vision for the game is terrible. The last balance patch showed a staggering lack of vision mixed with a complete lack of understanding of everything from combat to mining to PVE. I've lived with slow development for years but it was always going a way that made sense. Now I'm sure the DEVS really don't have what it takes and more importantly are unprepared to six what mistakes they have made.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

The second coming of William H Bonney was predicted in my book of perpetuum revelations (Strangerdanger 3:16) as one of the final signs of Armageddon.

THE END IS NEAR REPENT!

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
MoBIoS wrote:
Munchrock wrote:

ATM? Seriously? Really?

I have to wonder how much this guy actually played this game at ANY point in its history smile

Wonder away, I found your comment severely unhelpful... smile

15 (edited by JetNexus 2015-02-14 12:52:04)

There's a significant feature in this game which i value the most:

Time based progression.

I've played many interesting games, but i always forced myself to quit because it's a huge waste of time and energy, which is often can be disasterous for business and personal life...

So for the player who wants to play and progress in game, but don't want to be "connected" to it all the time, this game is still a good option, even with the current issues.

The alternatives are, well, EVE and some browser games maybe, such as Godville. Or Progress Quest lol Not so much...

its always a good time to come back to a game if you enjoy it.

Stranger Danger wrote:

The second coming of William H Bonney was predicted in my book of perpetuum revelations (Strangerdanger 3:16) as one of the final signs of Armageddon.

THE END IS NEAR REPENT!

I was at the bar and nearly died laughing after reading this.

Phantomburn wrote:
Stranger Danger wrote:

THE END IS NEAR REPENT!

I was at the bar and nearly died laughing after reading this.

must have been booring bar to read on a gameing forums while beeing there.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Perpetuum is pretty good atm.  I just came back after a few month reprieve.  Can say this is a great time to enjoy  Perp! Lots of things to do. And the up and coming update!  Looks pretty AWESOME!

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

20 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2015-02-16 11:23:20)

This about sums up now Perpetuum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I see lots of new people play the game!

TNA is growing, ND is amazing lately!

NSE, ETHOS!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Might be time for harvest soon. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Well, I'm back in school until mid June.  I came back simply because I can set up my scarabs to mine Liquizit with minimal real time participation.  There are plenty of buyers for the ores I mine, so in that regard, it seems like a good time to be here.

I found they did fix the mining nerf.  The rest of that nasty balancing patch still sucks, IMHO, in the form of all the new extensions you have to spend EP on just to have the same (or less) capability as you did prior to the patch.

The one glimmer of future hope is the randomized mission system.  I have three accounts, and one of my favorite activities was setting up all three bots to run assignments at the same time, <alt><tab>ing as needed.  Then I'd buy beacons and run those.  The randomized system could provide a lot of fun, um, if and when it is implemented...

I have not tried to stealth mine Epi, which would be a reasonable test of how many players are online and actively patrolling.  But with my schoolwork, I really don't have the time to do a lot of hands-on.

So, I just set up my scarabs to mine Liq and makes a couple million while I read texts and do the write ups.  If you are looking for the thrill of the hunt, I just saw players in gen chat "gf"ing after some PvP.

The new mission system is supposed to be soon(tm), I'm looking forward to giving it a test run to see if its halfway fun.

25 (edited by Celebro 2015-02-16 18:40:43)

Amano Terijima wrote:

The new mission system is supposed to be soon(tm), I'm looking forward to giving it a test run to see if its halfway fun.

I'm sure it will be a marked improvement, although nothing game changing, as all missions are still running around killing or collecting stuff. Just more of the same.

What they could improve (and development should continue on improving missions) is the poor AI and add whole instanced islands for combat missions.

RIP PERPETUUM