Topic: February List of Things!

Below I will list things of desire, necessity, and all around randomness that has come to my head recently! I would like these ideas to be further elaborated by the players who are roaming the forums.

#1 :

Packet Loss % shown next to the Ping at the bottom right! As many of you have learned recently you can have a beautiful ping and get booted from the server due to packet loss, but it doesn't show in your ping because its not latency it's straight loss of data!

#2 :

Terraforming Anchors! As it stands now, terraforming is supposed to not degrade around a gamma station in a certain range (when it works that way). But what about wanting to create a cool shape on the island? Well you are *** out of luck unless you carefully place stations to hold it up, which can be a problem as well as a waste of resources. Enter stage left, a terraforming anchor. Plug one of these puppys down and your terraforming wont degrade with in a 1,000m radius! Are they destructable? Of course! As long as you can make it past those turrets that guard them. Now this can take some tuning but I think would be viable, useful as a building tool, setting up perimiters and highways, or even making a pretty little bunker spot for the children to play. Heck can even make it have to be connected to a base or command relay to work so that it requires a little gas to maintain!

#3 :

Probes probes everywhere! Probes are awesome, everyone should have one, or ten. But their cost makes them prohibitive to use in quick temporary excursions (at least for the younger smaller groups.). Give the new guys a hand up, make 1 hour expiry probes that are tied to the player that drops them (max 5 per island at a time) and does not require skills to deploy! This can increase the amount of people venturing on to beta and heck even artifacters hitting gamma! And for those with a few extra bucks, we don't mind using the more permanent variety already in place for at home, so hand those kids some toys and send them off into the sand box to kick up dirt!

#4 :

Bacon!.... I mean Beacons. As it stands right now beacons are happily done in relative safety of Alpha, meaning there is no reason to really PvE on beta or gamma right? You are absolutely right! Alpha is a one stop shop! Well, lets mix this up a bit, what if we take those pesky Tier 4 and up mech and above (leave the smaller High Tech mobs up there so rookies can get a foot hold on their trees) and move them scaling to Beta and Gamma. This goes for beacons as well. Small beacons can be deployed on any island. 1 Stripe mech, on Alpha that's cool. 2 Striped mech, well that's HT Mechs that needs to be on Beta or Gamma, 3 striped Mechs, send those puppys to gamma too. Granted the issue of the cascading booms destroying loot is a problem, but this can be easily remedied. Beacon rats are immune to explody friends, and loot containers are immune to explodys too. This means that you can's one shot cascade a beacon wave like in the past, but at the same time beacons can be done in Beta and Gamma again properly! Now this doesn't mean you will be immune to explody things near you, far from it, if you beacon in pew pew land you need to be able to use some tactics to not die in a horrible fire! (Or do as long as I'm watching, I bought some more popcorn this week and need a reason to pop it.)

#5 :

Tool Tips! We all know tool tips are out dated, and many are not shown properly (Yes Zoom the shield question is what brought this to mind), I know the devs time is limited, hell MY time is limited! But there are a lot of players with time on their hands! Release the rest of the formulas to the Wiki, then allow players to submit via ticket (hell make a new category for it) their fixes to the tooltips rewritten to reflect the way things actually are.

#6 :

Hey, you know those tokens that just pile up everywhere? Yeah those ones in the "Liquid Beacons" folder in corp! How about we give them some use! I propose we put some ROTATING things up on the token market to make it more useful! How about a section of the market that (racially) choses at random some things to put on the market. Doesn't have to be fancy MK2 crap or anything, how about ohhhh maybe random (racially chosen by token) T4 gear, or some basic CT's etc. Heck you can even expand on this and have the Alpha shops CT choices go to Tier 2, Beta Tier 3, and PLAYER CONTROLLED BETA tier 4 CTs! (Granted 50P or less to make the mass builder still more profitable in the long run.) This gives yet more incentive to people venturing forth into the explody yonder lands, as well as giving a reason to log in each week to check the roulette wheel of prizes for all those hard earned tokens. Oh not to mention getting certain things into rookies hands that normally they would have to wait for 3-5 months to get their sticky fingers on so they can compete in the wild hills of yore!

#7 :

Hey you know that paint your bot thing you got sitting on the back burner? How about once you get this server thing worked out (and please to God move it from that horrid data center its in now) you can possibly make it usable! Oh schnap I know! How about we make it so BASIC colors can be purchased via tokens, and those really cool CUSTOM SHADED colors are purchasable via credits! (One of the most common rookie questions is what are credits useful for!) This can get a few extra bucks in your hands to help out your own cappuccino habits, and hell maybe keeping the server going in a better data center? I know if its priced right at least a dozen of my dudes would happily paint their bots AND RISK THEM ON THE BATTLE FIELD! I see disposable income coming in through this naughty pipe! Got it? Good, NEXT!

#8 :

Hey that Colixium stuff, yeah that junk in the ground of Gamma. It's useful for Scarab MK2's, buildings, and well... buildings! How about we do something with it! I know, how about we make up some T2+, T3-, and T4+ CT's that use it! We can even make them rare drops on officer beacons, and paired with the beacon idea above, will make them used more often and cause even more territorial warfare! Heck let's take this one step furthur, how about some fancy FACTION bot CT's in those there token markets? We can make them use some Collixium, and they can be a nice imbetween MK2 and MK1 bot (kind of like your shiny Vangaurd Mesmur that is out whack a moled by its MK2 cousin!). This give young pilots MORE REASONS TO MISSION! This gives older pilots REASONS TO SELL COLLIXUM. This gives beta and gamma crews REASONS TO OPEN TRADE AGREEMENTS! There ya go, new toys which can be naught but carbon copied, and tweaked a bit from something that already exists. New reason to mission. New reason to go to beta. New reason to go to gamma. New avenues for rookies to get in the game! Win-Win, oh and add that paint job thing with this, and we got more reason to BUY PAINT! Chaching!

#9 :

Volunteers. 99% of MMO's have em, you should too! You devs are cool and all, Zoom gettin in there and stirring the proverbial pot, CRM kickin' some data center sleeping tech's *** into gear, gargaj for.... well gargaj has some cool charts that I love to troll, would like to chatter him up a bit more though. This is cool and all, but hey lets face it, we need some volunteerism around these parts. If they have to sign some NDA's what ever, I've personally signed a few dozen of those things in the past and it was hella worth it even though I worked for free on a lot of those projects. I propose, that we get some people that are willing to do so to volunteer on some things like say, answer simple mechanics tickets! Or actively help (and moderate) the HELP channel in game! Or even, God help me, do some in game scheduled events! Lots of *** is doable here, and can spark some more interest, and not a dime would EVER have to come out of pocket.

#10 :

Last but not least in my forum rantage (mainly due to not being able to stay logged in at all), how about some PROPER access control mechanics for corporations. I have NEVER seen a corporation, real OR virtual use a single account EVER (at least not ones that are actual corps and not some idiot that filed SCorp because they thought it wise when they should have done an LLC). Break that *** up, doesn't need to be fancy, one general *** dumps into here wallet, one assignable wallet, and one 'savings' wallet with high access control. And on this note, I don't know any corporation that makes their employees take *** home to sell it online, so lets do a little bit of touching here so we can sell from our corp storage's! And finally on this rant, how about building? I don't expect those shiny new cabinets I ordered to be built in some employees garage, no I expect it to be done in the warehouse and shop of the corp I bought the damned things from! Why should that not be the same for corp jobs in game? If its corp materials, and corp CT, then it should be able to be done from, and delivered to the CORP STORAGE don't ya think?

This has been the Feature Discussion rant for February by yours truely, Amano/Ambe/Jade. Please feel free to go further into these ideas in discussion (AND THIS MEANS YOU TO MASTER DEVS!). These ideas are meant for the betterment of the Perpetuum project (granted once the servers stop wonking out). Keep it civil, and enjoy the irony I added to this months suggestion thread.

Peace,
Ambe

2 (edited by Inda 2015-02-04 11:33:35)

Re: February List of Things!

1: (pocket loss)
no need imho, it is specific situation now, didnt needed before I think (I am not an IT expert so can be wrong.)

2: (terraform anchors)
not a bad idea

3: (cheep probes to everyone)
not a bad idea

4: (beacons, Beta, Gamma incentives)
yes need some work on it

5: (tool tips)
yes

6:  (tokens more use, T4 or CT)
not a bad idea

7: (paint)
yes

8: (Colixum to more use)
yes

9: (Volunteers, students in the boat)
yes

10: (corp management)
MOST NEEDED!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In priority order:
10: (corp management)  < really important
7: (paint)
8: (Colixum to more use)
2: (terraform anchors)
3: (cheep probes to everyone)
4: (beacons, Beta, Gamma incentives)
6: (tokens more use, T4 or CT)
9: (Volunteers, students in the boat)
5: (tool tips)
1: (pocket loss)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Requested everyone of those items 2 years ago.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

4 (edited by Blocker 2015-02-04 15:49:01)

Ok more or less agree with most of those suggestions, especially the corp management idea, I'd go even further and also suggest adding alliance management tools.

I have to somewhat disagree with the beacons/NPC spawn removal suggestion for the following reasons:

1. There are no tier 5 mech spawns on alpha

2. Removing the tier 4 mech spawns is just another nerf for alpha hobo's. One of the main reasons we can't keep people playing for longer than 6 months is the lack of content. I'm not convinced removing more content will be more incentive for people to stay.

3. Lets be honest here, not everyone prefers to pvp. There are people out there that prefer to PVE, and their money is just as good as anyone else's so putting systems/mechanics etc in place which, more or less, forces them onto beta is not going to wash with them. They will just leave and play something else. I would love to see 1000's of pve people running around alpha because a pve'er is just a player who hasn't yet realized how much fun pvp is, and the bigger the pool of pve'ers then the more chance of getting some of them to pvp!

As far as the colixum suggestion I will just say this, he who controls the spice, controls the universe. So any group of players, no matter who they be, either now or in the future that have dominance over gamma will naturally always ask for more uses for that product, it extends their power. This is more a population issue than anything else, as can be said for most of the issues at the moment.

ohh I forgot the probes point. What is it about these bloody probes that has you guys so infatuated ? From our point of view they should be removed from the game entirely. I mean, take a newbie who wants to do some ninja epri mining, he jumps onto beta and straight away his presence is announced! Where is the "ninja" in that ? From our point of view all the probes do is act as a deterrent to newer players to go to beta. There is no "stealth" available when there is a bloody probe up at every TP entry to the island.

my 2 cents as requested..

[edit to make it a bit more readable]

A lot of the things this game needs are complete reworks to fundamental and systemic problems, philosophies, and ultimately code architecture.  It pains me to say it.

Discussions on these forums remind me of such discussions at work like:
- We need to get off the mainframe from the 1980s
- Let's rewrite that legacy application
- This year, let's get every department's independent MS Access applications moved to proper software apps on SQL.
- We should refactor the multi-tenant ivory tower into a light modular package based system.
- Let's rework our network to use IP6 internally and get off IP4 completely
etc..

Most of us have fought those fights. We know what happens. Maybe this is me giving up.

-K

Kayin Prime wrote:

- Let's rework our network to use IP6 internally and get off IP4 completely
-K

Every IPv6 packet make a DNS Query, more stress load on the internal network with a lot of response delays if you no have proper configured the stub resolvers, caching servers, and authoritative servers.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

Blocker wrote:

Ok more or less agree with most of those suggestions, especially the corp management idea, I'd go even further and also suggest adding alliance management tools.

ohh I forgot the probes point. What is it about these bloody probes that has you guys so infatuated ? From our point of view they should be removed from the game entirely. I mean, take a newbie who wants to do some ninja epri mining, he jumps onto beta and straight away his presence is announced! Where is the "ninja" in that ? From our point of view all the probes do is act as a deterrent to newer players to go to beta. There is no "stealth" available when there is a bloody probe up at every TP entry to the island.

Was more thinking that they will probably not remove probes all together, so best of both worlds would be to give the rookies the same chance by making cheap mini probes that they can put out while they are mining and such. Would give them forewarning of incoming hostiles. Simple pop the perma probes, wait 10 minutes to see if the locals are awake, and if not put your own ninja probe down cheaply to ninja that epi and not get blind sided, since as most know a mil nic isn't as disposable to younger groups as it is to older and larger ones.

There are really good ideas that come up all the time from people but with two part time Devs it's just not going to happen. The only ideas that matter at this point are ones which make the Devs more money because without that the game will never progress

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Amano Terijima wrote:
Blocker wrote:

Was more thinking that they will probably not remove probes all together, so best of both worlds would be to give the rookies the same chance by making cheap mini probes that they can put out while they are mining and such. Would give them forewarning of incoming hostiles. Simple pop the perma probes, wait 10 minutes to see if the locals are awake, and if not put your own ninja probe down cheaply to ninja that epi and not get blind sided, since as most know a mil nic isn't as disposable to younger groups as it is to older and larger ones.

I can understand what you are trying to say but without any limits it will end up like when walls first came out. People just went crazy walling off islands. If any man and his dog can get cheap probes I can see a situation where the islands become infested with the bloody things. Even if you put a short timer on them like an hour, people will just fill up their cargo with them and run around replacing them. Bots move fast now and probes take minimal cargo space.

I'm just concerned that if you ( and I don't mean you specifically, I'm talking generally) slowly remove different play styles like guerilla stealth tactics, just as an example, you are reducing the 'sandbox' and making it less open world. When you're a small corp (even if you are vets) there are not a lot of options when it comes to play styles.

We (OTHERS) believe that mechanics like probes actually remove/reduce the ability to have a diverse choice of play style and as such detract from what should be an open world MMO sandbox. We need content/mechanics that encourage diverse play styles and add to the 'open world' feel for corps of all size and we just don't see any evidence that probes contribute to this. Now, in the long run we may be proved wrong and we are fine with that. If you can show that they have contributed to a more diverse play style we are happy to admit being wrong and move on, but at this stage we just can't see it.

Jita wrote:

There are really good ideas that come up all the time from people but with two part time Devs it's just not going to happen. The only ideas that matter at this point are ones which make the Devs more money because without that the game will never progress

they should have sold the game & cashed out. Perpetuum has some great ideas but never had enough devs to fully & properly implement what was needed.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Amano Terijima wrote:

#3 :

Probes probes everywhere! Probes are awesome, everyone should have one, or ten. But their cost makes them prohibitive to use in quick temporary excursions (at least for the younger smaller groups.). Give the new guys a hand up, make 1 hour expiry probes that are tied to the player that drops them (max 5 per island at a time) and does not require skills to deploy! This can increase the amount of people venturing on to beta and heck even artifacters hitting gamma! And for those with a few extra bucks, we don't mind using the more permanent variety already in place for at home, so hand those kids some toys and send them off into the sand box to kick up dirt!

A million nic or 2 is well worth it if it prevents your mining fleet from
getting a ganking.

I might be wrong but I don't think probes were designed as a permanent tool that allows station
owners to sit on their fundament looking at porn/tv/whatever waiting for the
probe at a TP to go off and let  them know how many mk2's to send out to pvp the noobs.
The fact you are finding it more expensive than having real people guard the
gates is actually worth a chuckle.

If you really want to help the noobs, make the current probes limited to 2 hours. Plenty of time for them to protect their temporary fleet operation and it won't hang around broadcasting who was there.

DarkTerror wrote:
Amano Terijima wrote:

#3 :

A million nic or 2 is well worth it if it prevents your mining fleet from
getting a ganking.

I might be wrong but I don't think probes were designed as a permanent tool that allows station
owners to sit on their fundament looking at porn/tv/whatever waiting for the
probe at a TP to go off and let  them know how many mk2's to send out to pvp the noobs.
The fact you are finding it more expensive than having real people guard the
gates is actually worth a chuckle.

If you really want to help the noobs, make the current probes limited to 2 hours. Plenty of time for them to protect their temporary fleet operation and it won't hang around broadcasting who was there.

I never said we found it expensive, quite the opposite. We have little other use for NIC so have stocked up on probes and don't really care. I just remember the early days when we couldn't afford it and would have been a nice edge for us to have. AKA Thinking of the upcoming new guy, not ourselves. So before spouting off about how everything is aimed at my benifit in the list, you may want to think "do they really need this?" before posting.

DEVs don't seem to think there is a problem with the current probes, so the idea was aimed at the little guy being able to contend with those who can afford the bigger toy. I know at least 3 corps that wont use them and could have saved their miners had they done so, purely for the issue of cost. Remember, NIC isn't an issue in my neck of the woods, nor is stock of toys, so most of my ideas are going to be aimed at the new comer.

I JUST WANT NEW BOTS!!!!!!!!!!

Amano Terijima wrote:

... DEVs don't seem to think ...

Agreed.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

If there weren't probes half of you wouldn't have anything to do

+1

seeing as we are a fairly new corp and we are using probes fairly effectively..... id say they are working as intended...