Topic: Let's play a game!

Okay, so. Every day I see blobs on gates and miner ganking and, generally, a situation where PVP is primarily a game of manuever. Manuever your forces into a place where the other guy's forces are weak.

Okay. That's fine.

But it's not quite what I'm looking for. It's not quite a game.

So, how about we figure out some alternate uses of PVP, and find new ways to get bots blown up in an amusing fashion?

I suggest gladiatorial combat outside ICS-A, 3v3 maybe. Or maybe some kind of transportation challenge - stick a field can of HDT or something down, with two or more teams, and the winning team's the one that gets the most of the HDT from the starting can into their team's field can. (This would be on a beta somewhere, obviously, so a valid tactic is to blow up the other team's transporters and ransack their bodies for the HDT.)

Just, y'know. Something to get away from the blob routine.

Re: Let's play a game!

Go back to WoW.

Jasdemi wrote:

Go back to WoW.

Thank you for a concise and well-considered response.

Good idea! New, different, and challenging. I hope you get some participants.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

How about teleporting in middle of mech gang?

Sounds like fun big_smile

Interesting.

->You just lost The Game<-

Neoxx wrote:

Interesting.

Hmm. Did that ever get off the ground?

Fisher King wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

Interesting.

Hmm. Did that ever get off the ground?

Nah.  There wasnt a ton of interest, and shortly after I got pretty busy and couldnt dedicate time to it.

Feel free to contact him about it.  I dont mind if someone else picks it up.  If you or someone else wants to take that over be my guest.  And feel free to borrow stuff from it at will.

->You just lost The Game<-

Jasdemi wrote:

Go back to WoW.

Terrible response.

Reminds me of Red Vs Blue in EVE Online, they made 2 Corps, Red Federation and Blue Republic and they were always at war with eachother. This lead to some very good controlled fights without the ganking or smacktalk.

Hey,

Changes are in the works to combat the so called 'blob' warfare.

http://perpetuum-online.blogspot.com/

We have been Nominated for GAME OF THE YEAR on
http://www.mmorpg-center.com/mmorpg-cen … ice-awards

11 (edited by BigCountry 2011-01-03 19:02:39)

Players need something to fight over.

Defenders sit outside their stations and if the fight is not "fair" they just enter the station and sit there. Attackers do the same by sitting in protected gates. It's all blobs and Arkies and a lot of running back and forth all for nothing. Not a lot of sandbox PvP in that...lol
sad

Before you blog anything though, REMOVE Arkye respawn from Beta. The only way you should have an Arkye on Beta is if you bring it there from Alpha manually. Players are exploiting them as scout fodder. It's quite humorous, and both annoying. Your able to exploit intel, with no risk what so ever...patch it to where if you die in an Arkye and you have no ships on Beta in personal storage = you respawn at an Alpha terminal...this would actually help...a lot....
big_smile

12 (edited by Tiggus 2011-01-03 20:54:53)

Nothing wrong with getting creative with PvP, it's hard to find something that isn't hokey or forced though. 

Pretty sure the devs realize we need more daily objectives to fight over but this is where we need to remember what a lot of us said regarding "this mmo has a lot of potential and could be great down the road", it's going to require some patience on our part to stick it out while the objectives/content is a bit slim.

control points that give USEFULL rewards to the winner, not like darkfall where you win a point and get crap.

We're talking like AWESOME LOOT for fighting over cps in terrain. Make it go to the winning party.

I'd fight over that for fun.

14 (edited by Fisher King 2011-01-03 22:16:54)

I kind of like the control points idea - maybe a king of the hill type thing, like a power transmitter or whatever, that while it's held gives the players around it a few thousand NIC a minute if it's entirely uncontested?

The real trouble is, of course, that's going to encourage blobs... but if the dev journal about artillery's accurate, that's also going to encourage shooting at blobs. big_smile

Mara Kaid wrote:

control points that give USEFULL rewards to the winner, not like darkfall where you win a point and get crap.

We're talking like AWESOME LOOT for fighting over cps in terrain. Make it go to the winning party.

I'd fight over that for fun.

I like this.

-Multiple objectives many times a day in many different areas would lead to small gang fights more often.
-Our current system of having very rare and grand-scale objectives encourages large groups of people to log on for these 'special occasions' encouraging blob warfare.

-Daily,mini, territorial control objectives possibly? For smaller rewards? Away from player controlled outposts. In multiple places over each Beta island.

Jasdemi wrote:

Go back to WoW.

Back? I never left. ^^ (four 85's and an 80).

The OP makes some interesting points about PvP and some alternatives. Perhaps you have something to add to the conversation? Team based PvP might well be an interesting addition. It would be some what like conflict between the Houses in Mech Warrior.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.