Topic: Expanded idea on AOE as per Dev blog

The ideas for exploding bots, and for mines are brilliant. I applaud you guys.

There was little detail on AoE weapons with the ability to project into targets, however.

I would like to suggest that each major weapon type be given a different form of AoE attack, making formation choices different depending on the types of bots you are using and the types you are fighting.Here are some examples.

Aoe missiles that explode on impact, dealing damage in a circle from the target hit.
Aoe lasers that strike all enemies in a line that passes between the target and the shooter.
Aoe magnetic guns that ricochet to nearby units a certain number of times.
Aoe firearms the fire a cone of shrapnel centered on the target and originating from the shooter.

These examples are based on the theme of the weapons, but also are related to the current strengths and weaknesses of the weapons.

2 (edited by Annihilator 2011-01-01 14:04:57)

Re: Expanded idea on AOE as per Dev blog

hmm thats almost a copy&paste of my suggestion in the other topic

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

pic or it didn't happen

Friendly fire needs to be added too else this would not solve the Blob problems, since you would blob vs blob with aoe weapons and instead of mass 15 min fight, you would get quick one 2 minutes long...

Annihilator wrote:

oops you're right, didnt see it earlier.

6 (edited by Blorturmur 2011-01-01 22:31:59)

Lyghtcrye wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

oops you're right, didnt see it earlier.

ive been posting this idea for the past couple days now!  hiya lyte
lol

also, this ideas are not new. I've discussed those during the beta with some DEVs, and one of the reasons for AoE not implemented yet, was that each explosion would need a LoS calculation.

So if you shoot into 50 robot-blob with a single AoE weapon, it would result in 50 range + LoS calculations in an instant. Take a Gropho with 6 AoE missile launchers, you get 300 LoS calculations in one salvo. And not only robots have to be calculated, also plants.

If they add in AoE weapons, then hopefully they are already "Heavy" weapons and you cant fit more then one or two on a heavy mech, without aux. Reactor / CPU

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear