Topic: Monthly Dev Blog

I think many members of the community, vets and new cats alike, have emphasized and demonstrated through precedents and your competitors how important Dev blogs are.  The ways in which they are effective at maintaining a strong player base, even with slow development cycles.  Because in those cases, the players at least know where on the roadmap you are, and can understand the progress being made in context.

I understand how it can be that things like this get shuffled to the bottom.  As a programmer, dealing with 'humans' can be silly and frustrating.  However in this case, your end-product is highly dependent on the participation and continued involvement of many users.  Also in that list is probably marketing.  In a way the Dev blog is a marketing tool to tell your users you are still around, still working, build hype, get feedback, and attention.  So think of this as getting 2 birds with 1 stone. 
However don't forget once you get a solid PvE, assignments, and other QoL features revamped, real marketing investments should not be overlooked.

A monthly blog was promised. 
Don't break promises.

Many thanks,
-A concerned citizen

Re: Monthly Dev Blog

Couldn't have put it better myself. This game needs more love, it looks like the Developers do care to make a decent game, I'm moving on to Eve waiting for 4th Dec update with the wasd controls and Thera, looks interesting. Sorry, I give up after nearly 4 years I am out, poor balancing is really poor, we all know why.

RIP PERPETUUM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/15/154475bd … 85bfcd.jpg

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

• There was a blog this month about a patch, but if that's the only thing that we can post about then there is no reason to post a monthly report, and I would just repeat myself.

• The promise wasn't about a blog coming exactly on the 15th of every month, just about an attempt to post about anything that we're working on at least once every month.

• If you made up a "blog schedule" for yourself based on the last one, you're in for a disappointment. This isn't exact science, since we don't have monthly development cycles either.

• Some features take a longer time to develop and since experience has shown us that posting half-informations makes everything just worse, we're posting stuff when we feel that it's ready for the public.

ps. This isn't the monthly report, that's still coming.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

You are right, I misinterpreted your previous statement in a blog.
"That’s all for now, and I’ll try to make these reports a monthly thing, promised." -Sept. 2014 blog
I take it at your word that you will try.  However, it is likely others will not.

I honestly didn't mean for this to be another thread of airing grievances.  I literally just wanted to see a blog with stuff to get optimistic about.
Then perhaps others would have hope for future features, rather than dwelling in dissatisfaction with the current ones, or most recent.
I get the PR-sword can cut both ways if you promise too much, but its better than nothing.  It should be an opportunity to control the dialog about where the game is going.  It seems the community, when left to their own devices, post images of sinking ships (not attractive for new or returning players).

DEV Zoom wrote:

you're in for a disappointment.

fixed it for you.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Sorry to me looks like:

9-13
10-15
11-14

I dont see any bad about this.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Once a month is better than hardly ever.

Some people on this forum are crazy, if the devs gave you a gold bar you would complain its heavy.

10 (edited by Celebro 2014-11-30 22:58:27)

There is no status report for the month of November , just a blog about a balancing patch that has made most players dissatisfied with the way the balancing was approached, with a very short time frame to give feedback before it went live.

There is no need to post a blogs about new up coming updates all the time. It could have been about the reaction of the most recent patch and the reasoning behind the changes or maybe about the progress made on recent development of the PVE changes or whatever you are working on.

RIP PERPETUUM

Inda, I wasn't counting the most recent robot re-balancing post because at the bottom in italics it is said that it is not a monthly report and that will come later.
http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … balancing/
"ps. This isn't the monthly report, that's still coming."  It had plenty of content to count, but I was hoping this line was suggesting one blog post would still be forthcoming for this month (November).

Once a month is better.  The quotation I pulled from the September blog, as I remember, was after community members demanded more communication from the Devs after having none over the summer.  I would like to see something monthly, even if its an inch of progress on the same path as previously announced.  I think most of us understand things take time.  But if the evaluation is that progress does not warrant a post, that's fine.  I perhaps misunderstood the premise of the monthly report as it resulted from the discussions last summer.

Yes, I monthly progress report. What stuff are you doing or have been doing during the last month?, is not so much to ask. Limit Theory does DAILY reports and it's only ONE guy.

Keep it honest, we all know development does not go always as planned. I know you might hit a bump in the road here and there, *** happens on all games.

RIP PERPETUUM

LogicalNegotiation, pls see the DEVS used to make soo less Blogsspot they doing now! I am happy wtih that progression.

Yes I also read that, but if that dont bring I am live with just the pacthblog. I am happy with it!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I get what you're asking for, but comparing us to Limit Theory is a bit unfair. If we had the freedom of not having to deal with an active playerbase/trying to figure out what the smallest change could mean for this active world/fixing unexpected stuff/providing support then we could obviously just focus on development and reporting about it and not care about anything else.

Active playerbase. Really?

Perceptor wrote:

Active playerbase. Really?

Yes, anyone complaining is an active playerbase smile

17 (edited by Annihilator 2014-11-30 23:56:48)

Zoom -
there is one thing i would like to read about in a blog post that you put up:

why don't leave the game as is and make a completely new one?
The changes done in the past month's, plus the ones comming up (according past blogs) are worth a new title alltogether.
- complete new balance
- complete change of game mechanics
- complete new client
- and obviously completely new grafics style because of new 3D artists.

you wouldn't need to deal with an semi-"active playerbase" either....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

I get what you're asking for, but comparing us to Limit Theory is a bit unfair. If we had the freedom of not having to deal with an active playerbase/trying to figure out what the smallest change could mean for this active world/fixing unexpected stuff/providing support then we could obviously just focus on development and reporting about it and not care about anything else.

I appreciate the reply, then again I am not asking for daily reports either.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

I appreciate the reply, then again I am not asking for daily reports either.

I know, I didn't take it like that either.

It's always someone else's fault.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

It's always someone else's fault.

Is it jita or inda this time?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Also tho he is one guy ... totally not the same thing as your small team big_smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Steve Irwin

Orbz, I love how you add so much depth and insight into the conversations through your posts.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.