Topic: kickstarter?

There are many kickstarter ideas, but this one is mine. It is your worst nightmare. A kickstarter that brings new and old players back to perpetuum.

Put up a kickstarter program solely for the hiring of additional developers. Have a nice high goal with check points along the way for hiring part time, full time, and multiple developers. Goal of 250k USD ~ should be enough to hire several part time devs to at least 'kickstart' this game.

Rewards for donations... $20 for an account $30 for a booster and 600 credits. $50 for two accountswith boosters.  $100 for two accounts and special edition mechs similar to the rewards for annual PvP tournies.

Re: kickstarter?

Even of you don't reach 250k you still get a *** ton of new players and maybe a couple part time devs. What do you have to lose?

only the 3,457th time this has been suggested

Do you think it is a bad idea?

A launched game of Steam should not have a kick starter

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

A launched game of Steam should not have a kick starter

maybe they should have milked all the possible sources of investment before going live on steam sad

Literally two other threads about it in the first three pages.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Instead of necro post I wanted to make my own smile

well, they could do something on kickstarter
something i have seen done by other dev studios already:

campaigns for new robots - because they cannot afford paying a permanent 3D artist, they could buy robots. (which is pretty expensive too)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

10 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-11-11 20:01:49)

you guys honestly thing people would donate money to this game? I mean they can just buy the game and then get a bunch of boosters if they wanted to give money.

not sure with the size of the playerbase crowdfunding for new stuff would work.

I think it would be better to just add something to the cash shop that was decorative and appealing and use that to make additional funds...as well as selling the game at a discount perhaps via steam.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Looks like you all understand too little about how it's works.

Most, if not all of the gamers are not wealthy people. Their "power" is in big numbers, when there are many players with some money. Currently there aren't so many players for cash shop to make a huge difference.

What i'd suggest is to think how and where to find investors instead of gamers. And not some mythic kind people who interested in charity. It's should be win-win to be interesting for anyone. Taking in the consideration that these people won't do it just because they want to play the game or some benefits inside it.

I believe a kickstarter would not only provide some basic funds to hire a full dev team but also bring in new players. Big investors are not the same as a large community either. One leads to another but its chicken or the egg? Why not get both?

Gwyndor wrote:

I believe a kickstarter would not only provide some basic funds to hire a full dev team but also bring in new players. Big investors are not the same as a large community either. One leads to another but its chicken or the egg? Why not get both?

Of course is better to get both.
But we also should think about the odds. Which way is possible, and which is much more difficult(if possible).
One leads to another, sure: -> money -> better game and marketing -> larger community -> money ->

Finding big investors isn't easy. But i think it's easier than bringing a lot of new players in the current state of things.
Investors looking at the perspectives of the game(their investment, and chances of the positive result).
Players looking at the game as it is right now.

A kickstarter and cash shop couldn't work without players. Going free to play with a cash shop and crowd funding content expansions go hand in hand.

I don't know why people are afraid of ftp, in twenty years the pay model will barely exist.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

why not patreon where people can sub to the game and get content and stuff?

Or

Indie gogo where whatever is raised they get.

But lets be honest this isnt about money really is it?

We need a fun game with critical mass of players or all the money in world wont fix it.

At this point they need to just copy systems that work in other games. Archage seems to have the FTP method worked out and WOT does good too.

Neither of those games are full loot PvP

18 (edited by Jita 2014-11-12 23:56:03)

Which makes a FTP model more attractive.

To explain why - one of the risks of FTP is bots and account abuse. Having full loot actually causes losses that matter whereas in a no loss game money matters more as the best stuff once attained makes you better for ever.

Jita wrote:

At this point they need to just copy systems that work in other games. Archage seems to have the FTP method worked out and WOT does good too.

And maybe because of this, or because of something else, these games are crap...

After watching kanogi spend over 1k euros on vanity items in dota I must say perp is doing things wrong. Paint jobs and special animations color changes on ammo effects for cash shop items.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

Lobo wrote:

After watching kanogi spend over 1k euros on vanity items in dota I must say perp is doing things wrong. Paint jobs and special animations color changes on ammo effects for cash shop items.

And some stuff for avatars can help too. And changing the avatar might be a good cash option too.

And after all, why there's a costume option in the avatar creation with only 1 option fuuu and this is new player expirience...
I know, i know, there's much more important things to do... Soooooo many of those...:(