Topic: Robot Rebalance or A Direct Nerf?

5% to 3% is Huge...

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Robot Rebalance or A Direct Nerf?

knee-jerk change

"hey lets reduce this to 3%?!   Why?     I dunno"

Remember the big bad wolf called "EP gap"? Look for the answer there.

4 (edited by Ville 2014-11-06 14:51:59)

So your answer to bridging the gap is by cutting your vets off at their knees so they are 20% shorter?

All I see is recycling content so vets with ~2M EP have somewhere to spend it on instead of speccing for mining.

Guess its easier then making new content. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

DEV Zoom wrote:

This has me curious, care to elaborate for a dumbass Australian ? I mean it's a time progression game, someone will always have an EP gap.

Blocker wrote:

This has me curious, care to elaborate for a dumbass Australian ? I mean it's a time progression game, someone will always have an EP gap.

But the effect of that EP gap will be somewhat reduced since the extensions don't give that much increase for damage/cycletime/etc, while still retaining a certain advantage of course.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Blocker wrote:

But the effect of that EP gap will be somewhat reduced since the extensions don't give that much increase for damage/cycletime/etc, while still retaining a certain advantage of course.

Ok, if you say so, but as Syndic said, those vets with ~2M EP will just hit those extra skills up to 10 without even blinking. I dunno, maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. I'll reserve my opinion until it get's a tuning pass or two and lands on the live server.

Blocker wrote:

Ok, if you say so, but as Syndic said, those vets with ~2M EP will just hit those extra skills up to 10 without even blinking.

Of course they will. But if you take an extension which provided so far 5% damage increase per level, then that's a 50% damage difference between a newbie and a vet. If we now reduce that 5% to 3%, then that becomes only a 30% difference. Still pretty significant yes, but not that overpowered like I would call 50%.

The new extensions that we're introducing bring mostly diversity, not extra extension for an old bonus, and they are in the 1-2% range.

10 (edited by Syndic 2014-11-06 15:26:57)

Basically what he's doing is making your and my EP "less" valuable by increasing diminishing returns, so we no longer hit with +50% damage at max skill but +30% damage, while passively increasing the Time To Kill (tanking is untouched in comparison).

CIR Complaint Form

DEV Zoom wrote:
Blocker wrote:

Ok, if you say so, but as Syndic said, those vets with ~2M EP will just hit those extra skills up to 10 without even blinking.

Of course they will. But if you take an extension which provided so far 5% damage increase per level, then that's a 50% damage difference between a newbie and a vet. If we now reduce that 5% to 3%, then that becomes only a 30% difference. Still pretty significant yes, but not that overpowered like I would call 50%.

The new extensions that we're introducing bring mostly diversity, not extra extension for an old bonus, and they are in the 1-2% range.

Ok, I see the logic in that, thanks for the explanation. Be interesting to see how it pans out in the longer term.

Syndic wrote:

Basically what he's doing is making your and my EP "less" valuable by increasing diminishing returns, so we no longer hit with +50% damage at max skill but +30% damage, while passively increasing the Time To Kill (tanking is untouched in comparison).

Yep, I can see that now. It's late, and I'm tired, should have been in bed hours ago. Brain not really working. So thanks for helping explain.

well, I cry that I want a million dollars doesnt mean im going to get it....

DEV Zoom wrote:

Syndic wrote:

Exactly what is needed.

The 'Gap' went too far and was greatly imbalanced against new players. I am sure you guys can make it up with your extensive game knowledge and 'log in,  playing the game because it's free' mentality.

The 'time to kill' aspect is a nice touch making battles longer and more forgiving.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Exactly what is needed.

The 'Gap' went too far and was greatly imbalanced against new players. I am sure you guys can make it up with your extensive game knowledge and 'log in,  playing the game because it's free' mentality.

The 'time to kill' aspect is a nice touch making battles longer and more forgiving.

Celebro, I can agree and disagree with you.  By changing 20% damage your making tuners mandatory in the head slots. You cut range down, you cut locking down.  There is not going to be forgiveness in those fleets, its going to be who can get in the middle of them and explode first.  But you are closing an EP GAP, too bad its at a direct nerf to players productivity across the board.  Less mined good, less harvested goods.  Inflation is going to be on the rise...

16 (edited by Burial 2014-11-06 19:33:18)

Zoom, I think it's an excellent update. Anything that decreases the cap should be considered good and you're accomplishing it quite elegantly.

Syndic, Ville, Gunner, adapt and play.

I have no problem with adapting and playing, I have a problem however with a Developer who is apparently only capable of recycling parts of the game every 2-3 months.

On the other hand hell will freeze before any of us give them 10$, so who cares really. Carry on. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

I have no problem with adapting and playing, I have a problem however with a Developer who is apparently only capable of recycling parts of the game every 2-3 months.

On the other hand hell will freeze before any of us give them 10$, so who cares really. Carry on. lol

well, Apple makes a lot of money with recycling ...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I don't think the ep gap was too big considering the time put in by vets vs newbs. Even a newb should have the PvP/indy skills up to 5 pretty easily. Sure vets have theirs at 10 but that's only a 25% difference before scaling. Now its going to be a 15% difference before scaling when comparing a player 3 months in vs a vet 3 years in. I guess that's ok for a buy to play game but eh. I like that lights are getting additional slots and a fee were needed for select assaults but I think you may have gone a bit over for the baph. Fitting is the issue for new players. Being able to cram mods into those additional slots for current mk2 is hard enough and requires near max fitting skills for t4. If anything I'd boost the benifits of t4 and greatly increase the fitting costs. You should have to be a vet to fully t4 your bots even if you can afford it with nic. No need for more slots on assaults. Lights needed more slots anv fitting. Good move there.

DEV Zoom wrote:

OMFG ...you are changing the extensions from 5% to 3% to 'close' the EP gap!? Since when is that an issue for you guys? You have always stood behind your EP structure. Now suddenly, hey this is the answer?

If every robot had the exact same bonus there might be something to the argument, but as each has a different bonus they will each be affected differently. Some will be nerfed while others buffed indirectly

Again and again you guys find sledge hammer solutions without truly defining the problem. I would prefer you just wipe the damn server for EP gap than this *** change.

I have no more hope for this game. Whatever happens happens. If one day I'm pleasantly surprised, great, but I doubt it.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

Some will be nerfed while others buffed indirectly

hey, thats the answer to the topic title big_smile
gz

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

22 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-11-08 08:29:10)

Annihilator wrote:
Rex Amelius wrote:

Some will be nerfed while others buffed indirectly

hey, thats the answer to the topic title big_smile
gz

Yeah, but I doubt the Devs have any clue which will go what way.

Sparking to other games

23 (edited by Inda 2014-11-08 08:38:14)

I think this dont needed, SIMPLE!

Or at least some robot, need rebalance and that's all.

NEW CONTENT!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD