Topic: Tactical Combat

Just did some brainstorming earlier on things that would make combat more interesting, both in PVP and PVE. I like it when tactics and skill can overcome brute numbers.

- Make movement drain accumulator.  Highways have special 'effects'. Possibly lower accumulator drain / possibly higher.  Give haulers and possibly arckhes bonuses to fit their 'move stuff' role.  This wouldn't be as annoying as you might think when outside of combat. It'd be a consideration but completely manageable.  In terms of combat it would add a ton of strategic possibilities. 

- Add friendly fire.

- Turn ECM into an AOE thing, a lot like EMP in the real world. You set it off and it has a chance to jam everybody within radius. Exponentially decaying the further out.  Add an item that can focus ECM into a direction so it's not a perfect circle but more oval shaped.

- Add a penalty to turn radius based on robot size. Light bots should be able to literally run circles around heavy mechs. Slow and strong vs fast and weak.

- Add temporary / deployable land mines and energy fences. Land mines harm the bots, energy fences demobilize and force shields to lower.  These can be PVP only. I can see it being OP for NPC spawns. 

- Add environmental AOE heat damage. In particular heat generated from multiple bots in a concentrated area firing together or being fired upon. Give 'thermal damage' some real meaning.  Bringing thermal lasers into a fight can have some unique effects.

- Fleet teleport beacons.  1 time use, the entire squad physically present in the radius of the beacon teleports together.

- Jet pack 'item' or module. Vertically scale terrain.  Adds heat. Disables all active modules jumping and has a cooldown after landing before modules can be used again.

- Make deployable walls block missiles when you're hiding behind them?  I just don't like how missiles can find you anywhere and have a long range.

Re: Tactical Combat

Kayin Prime wrote:

Just did some brainstorming earlier on things that would make combat more interesting, both in PVP and PVE. I like it when tactics and skill can overcome brute numbers.

- Make movement drain accumulator.  Highways have special 'effects'. Possibly lower accumulator drain / possibly higher.  Give haulers and possibly arckhes bonuses to fit their 'move stuff' role.  This wouldn't be as annoying as you might think when outside of combat. It'd be a consideration but completely manageable.  In terms of combat it would add a ton of strategic possibilities. 

- Add friendly fire.

- Turn ECM into an AOE thing, a lot like EMP in the real world. You set it off and it has a chance to jam everybody within radius. Exponentially decaying the further out.  Add an item that can focus ECM into a direction so it's not a perfect circle but more oval shaped.

- Add a penalty to turn radius based on robot size. Light bots should be able to literally run circles around heavy mechs. Slow and strong vs fast and weak.

- Add temporary / deployable land mines and energy fences. Land mines harm the bots, energy fences demobilize and force shields to lower.  These can be PVP only. I can see it being OP for NPC spawns. 

- Add environmental AOE heat damage. In particular heat generated from multiple bots in a concentrated area firing together or being fired upon. Give 'thermal damage' some real meaning.  Bringing thermal lasers into a fight can have some unique effects.

- Fleet teleport beacons.  1 time use, the entire squad physically present in the radius of the beacon teleports together.

- Jet pack 'item' or module. Vertically scale terrain.  Adds heat. Disables all active modules jumping and has a cooldown after landing before modules can be used again.

- Make deployable walls block missiles when you're hiding behind them?  I just don't like how missiles can find you anywhere and have a long range.

You just described Mech Warrior Online.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

In humans, the fastest long-term sustained running pace is lower than the fastest short-term sprint. This means that a stationary ambusher can generally catch someone who is moving through an area, without necessarily tangling them in a net.

A sprint-module that increases movement speed and drains accumulator would create a similar effect. I suspect, because of velocity nexus modules, such a module could be created by changing data, without having to change code.

Adding turn radius would change physics, which is probably deeply difficult, requiring lots of changes to code.

I'm similarly dubious about the development costs of the other suggestions.

^_^

A fleet beacon is not required an emergency fills the role sufficiently well

terrible