1 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-10-23 19:24:48)

Topic: Low population and vets, an incoherent rambling by stranger

So ive been thinking about the ballpark figure on vet accounts that the devs said qualified for free play prior to steam.  It was somewhere in the range of 7000 accounts.

Ive been watching a lot of returning players since steam early access pop in.  Many have stated not enough were playing or that theres no significant content since they last played.

So ive been sort of thinking about this, watching the steamcharts as the game progressed through early access and steam launch.

When the game dropped the subscription and hit steam, I believe general chat peaked somewhere around the lines of 500 people, steamcharts peaked at nearly 250 accounts on at the same time.  I have to assume the vast majority of accounts via steam are brand new players, granted many got one on steam just to do it.

From the official steam launch, after leaving early access, I believe general chat peaked at around 200 with 157 on steam charts as steam accounts.

I started to think since about half of the accounts on during the absolute peak of general chat/steam charts seemed to be roughly 50% vets and 50% steamlings, with the current non early access peak being overwhelmingly steamlings.

What would happen if say 20% of the available veteran accounts who qualify to log in free of charge played?  Were talking 1400 accounts active and playing. 

Do you think that level of activity, which exceeds (theoretically) what this game peaked at, would liven the game up enough for those who cant have fun without an extremely active server to come back?

Granted of the 7000 im sure real life obligations and other things would bite a large chunk out of people who could return...and people with multiple accounts and or not being in general chat, along with the concurrent player multipliers (more will own the game than will log in at the same time always) skews things. Also I heard that most of the emails that went out to these accounts were undeliverable, a sign that the email accounts used haven't been used in a long time...so how to reach out to these people?

This made me kind of think that it was perhaps on the veteran players to sort of lift this game out of the cycles of inactivity/activity it goes through.  I mean this game has some deep emotionally charged competition....if loggin in to smack syndic or ville around isn't motive enough...I don't think some new content could get you back.

I think the key to reaching this games population critical mass, a point where popularity snowballs and people leaving or taking a break is negated by new blood, might be in the hands of all the people who would rather play when/if this game reaches some arbitrary popularity mark.  Im not sure what it would take to get some percentage above 5% of existing veteran accounts to return.  I know many say its content and lack of focused development, but I don't really buy a lack of content being a thing in a game where you create your own content.

Game politics aside, a lot of us want to see this game do better, its a fun game when theres people playing.  New blood tends to follow the old blood out however, for whatever the reason.  Nothing keeps new players quite like being a part of a big, active, corporations with vets, as it makes them feel a part of the game, something that is kinda missing from the upstart corporations.

Just curious on what people think could be done, should be done, or if its even possible to get something like 20% or 30% of the veteran accounts to come back and breathe life into a game that isn't the best, but certainly better than a game with a hundred or so active players.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

2 (edited by Annihilator 2014-10-23 19:52:19)

Re: Low population and vets, an incoherent rambling by stranger

do you believe sending refugees back into the countries they fled from would solve the problem that caused them to flee in the first place?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

do you believe sending refugees back into the countries they fled from would solve the problem that caused them to flee in the first place?

If they have Ebola... then yes! They will kill everyone else... tongue

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

As one of the "new blood" or the "steamlings" (kinda like that term) I think the issue for many returning vets is the fact that all us new guys aint quite ready out there yet. Youve prolly seen quite a few of us in ND putting up a brave fight togheter with allied friends and vets. Before that CONS and lately NSE been growing quite good, but the numbers speak for themselfs.

In my corp alone, despite we usually manage to get out 4-5 active PvPers, we are still about 40+ active players who dont. People who dont feel ready for PvP or simply like to spend more time in PvE generally. Gaining that EP, money and gear to actually be out there on a regular basis isnt something that is built even in half a year.

HOWEVER, its now its so important for those returning vets not to just swing by and say "nae, not active enough for what I like to do, I come back later", but rather stick around and help out those actually large amount of people to achieve and reach what said vets actually like to do. Takes time, effort and patience, but without all that help theres a high risk the gap is simply to large for many new people and they see the path ahead as something impossible and have a higher risk of quitting.

In our corp weve got tremendous help from our allied vets and even occasionally from our enemies, but theres so many more out there I fear for. Im with Stranger Danger on this, we need to fight for the game on all fronts.

I don't know which returning vets Stranger danger talked to,
but the ones that I have talked to just left again because the game is still the same boring game that doesn't hold player. Low player count is a symptom, not a cause.

Hollywood wrote:

If they have Ebola... then yes! They will kill everyone else... tongue

yeah, that probably fitting perfect to what happens in perpetuum. You send those who managed to flee (veterans left) back into the infested deadly enviroment (the game) and they ultimately die (ditching the game as hopeless case).

Oh and a second analogy that fits: in Ebola infested regions sometimes the helpers send from outside are pushed away or even get killed - that something that also happens here allot.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

*edit: That goes a bit too far, don't you think? - DEV Zoom

7 (edited by Burial 2014-10-24 14:12:52)

The reason I don't play: I don't have anything to do. Everything is old and I've ran circles around it for years.

8 (edited by Ville 2014-10-24 15:09:47)

Burial wrote:

The reason I don't play: I don't have anything to do. Everything is old and I've ran circles around it for years.

This is a shared belief by many.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Please don't censor orbs in my threads.  Instead, please censor Anni in my threads.  Thanks.

And burial, for the many in your situation...all you have left is the meta gaming and politics.  Like I said if putting your efforts towards slapping ville and syndic in the face isn't motive for you to play, I don't think any content the devs make would keep you around.

Oddly enough, even with your lack of motive you still frequent the forums like someone who wants to play.

Also, if you actually pvp'ed...or perhaps ran a pvp corp....all that stuff you acquired might have a use.  I don't think the developers made this game to have you pve to infinity then complain how there isn't anything to do...pvp and have a reason to replenish...or at least float a noobie corp with a gamma base and bots so they can enjoy the game.

There has to be something to bring back these players, which even a fraction of them would make this game alive.

Oh and anni, take your frau frown face comments outta here.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

10 (edited by Inda 2014-10-24 16:33:16)

I will try my best now!

Lets see how far it develop!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

11 (edited by Burial 2014-10-24 17:10:46)

Stranger Danger wrote:

Like I said if putting your efforts towards slapping ville and syndic in the face isn't motive for you to play, I don't think any content the devs make would keep you around.

I thank them for building Bergers and not having the balls to hit Imidero when the time was right.

Burial wrote:
Stranger Danger wrote:

Like I said if putting your efforts towards slapping ville and syndic in the face isn't motive for you to play, I don't think any content the devs make would keep you around.

I thank them for building Bergers and not having the balls to hit Imidero when the time was right.

Why thank them? You guys all just ended up quitting anyway.  All it took was a few wins back in april and you guys folded up and left.  Guess that all proves that even giving your enemies victories to keep them engaged doesn't work.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Why the QQ thread by the way?

Burial wrote:

Some of us actually like the game and want to see it do better.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger Danger wrote:
Burial wrote:

I see the words you say but your corp tag betrays your true nature

I have to jump on the bandwagon so to speak.  The game has been mis-managed so badly, First off steam was its last gasp for new players, and it went off like a dud. Secondly there is no content in this game except for what we make. Missions are as much fun as pissing on an electric fence. The cash shop and missions rewards are nill.  Gamma revamp needs so work, and explosion damage causing loot not to drop needs to be changed, the reasons it was implemented are gone. So change it back.  But i digress, this game is in its death throws, steam was the last ace they had in the whole and it was wasted.

Stranger Danger wrote:
Burial wrote:

Good for you, have fun.

All of you are starting to see the light.

And to think it only took my influence, a fertile opinion, and mindful hand, for the latter to happen.

Some of us do want the game to grow and thrive but it takes some strong mirror looking for this to happen.

Time that is past.

I am Perpetuum.

It takes a truly neutral third party (myself) to convey good ideas to the masses. 

This is yet other reason why I take the heat and bring the truth to the forum masses.  Being part of the largest and most successful alliance gives me perspective.  Using this I bring common sense ideas, and the cold hard truth without any trolling or political, how do the say, BS.

I do thank you for jumping on the bandwagon, and through my solid leadership, I will fix this train wreck of a game.

Your posting is not necessary, but we do need some comic relief from time to time.  So by all means.

I am Perpetuum.

Burial wrote:

Pretty much this is my reason for not logging in any more.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Jelan wrote:
Stranger Danger wrote:
Burial wrote:

I see the words you say but your corp tag betrays your true nature

You hatred blinds you... i can feel it growing even now... USE IT FEED OFF IT & STRIKE ME DOWN!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Its a long way to episode 6 padawan

Perpetuum wrote:

All of you are starting to see the light.

And to think it only took my influence, a fertile opinion, and mindful hand, for the latter to happen.

Some of us do want the game to grow and thrive but it takes some strong mirror looking for this to happen.

Time that is past.

Nah your just a vet who if they posted on their main account, no one would listen to. So you post on a forum alt.

But all in all...

This game isn't going to go anywhere without its vet population supporting it. 

Im not sure what content would make the game worthy of playing again for people who farmed up everything, and don't want to do anything with the stuff they farmed.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

24 (edited by Burial 2014-10-25 16:12:05)

Unless they add something fun for veterans to do, they won't return for more than a month or two, ever. It's not just about introducing new content but actually new content being balanced and, above all, fun.

The activities currently available are just not entertaining.

25 (edited by Celebro 2014-10-25 16:23:20)

Stranger Danger wrote:

Im not sure what content would make the game worthy of playing again for people who farmed up everything, and don't want to do anything with the stuff they farmed.

Improved PVE/missions and more bots, the last new bot was in December 2011 and it was a hauler. We were promised PVE before Steam but gamma and new servers got on the way, they are still making changes to TP and highway system still nothing in detail mentioned what PVE is going to look like. I estimate at this rate we will see new bots 2016 and that's being optimistic.

RIP PERPETUUM