Re: Insider's Perception

Kayin Prime wrote:
Perpetuum wrote:

No, the problem is no one wants to STAY and play the game.

Question is WHY?

Answer is...

Honestly, a lot of the butt hurt, crying, and over seriousness on both sides of the fence right now are very unappealing.

Let's totally disregard that there's no new content for.. how many years? big_smile

27 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-10-20 05:09:15)

Burial wrote:
Kayin Prime wrote:
Perpetuum wrote:

No, the problem is no one wants to STAY and play the game.

Question is WHY?

Answer is...

Honestly, a lot of the butt hurt, crying, and over seriousness on both sides of the fence right now are very unappealing.

Let's totally disregard that there's no new content for.. how many years? big_smile

Sort of agree with the new content thing *gasp*

but lets be realistic with what the devs can fix while undertaking major projects.  I honestly don't think the game needs new content all the time to keep people.  Its a sandbox and the framework for unlimited content is there.  More *** would be nice don't get me wrong.

People just get upset when they don't win at pvp, become sore losers, and leave, not sure that will change however perhaps something pve that everyone can compete and win at would do wonders adding content for people to do during the 3-6 months EP build up.

For the vets, I think the sap system is terrible, it rewards avoiding fights and pretty much gives the overall win to whoever can baby sit the stations across the most timezones.  People stay for big fights, fun fights that don't lag out ofc, but the big fights are what keep large amounts of players active and involved.  Ill harp on this until the servers go down.  A system that lets smaller corps and unaffiliated corps "get in on the action" even if the outcome doesn't effect them directly.

Right now saps are nothing but a fight crapshoot, for the attackers and defenders.  Get together, form up, and maybe something happens...that's not fun, that doesn't get people to log in.

Other than that, the mission system is the crutch new players rely on, and its horrible, I hope it gets fixed before the steam launch noobs bail.  Other than that, graphics are becoming a major turn off for new player.

New players will stay if there are active corps with helpful people who are ACTIVE IN GAME....being a forum patrol officer and occasionally popping in game to give *** away or get upset doesn't keep new players in game.  Joining an organized corp run by people with knowledge of the game makes new players feel part of the game.  Most vets don't want to bother with recruiting and playing actively, so that hurts immensely with new player retention. 

The problem we are at now, is we had a 500+ general chat with EA, now 200 gen chat launch, and no more steam exposure trump cards to play.  This game really needs general chat to be around 1000 consistently for it all to come together....im not sure if that can be fixed or how...but if its ever going to get fixed the game better have some endgame pve that corps can aspire to and compete in without pvp....a better intrusion system that encourages big fights and bringing out your sunday best...and a better new player crutch to ease them in...but most importantly...vets need to start logging in and showing these new guys how to play and make them a part of something bigger.  These fly by night noobie corps run by noobs never last.

*** I typed too much again

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

This is good.  All I wanted was a honest converation on the laughable topic of adding content.

We have had promises in the past, interest peaked, and people left unamused and very dissatisfied.

I am Perpetuum.

It's a people problem, has been always will be. Remember the Devs are people too. They've made a pretty amazing game for a couple dudes in a basement.

In my mind, the problems are two fold. On the one hand there hasn't been any new content added to the game (sorry, re-working gamma isn't new) in years, and the low player population. When I came back a year ago to the game, it was pretty much the exact same situation as now except STC and friends owned everything. The only difference then was that there were gamma islands with thousands of turrets to protect them. That's the biggest difference a year makes, besides who is top dog on the server.

As far as the players though you're right, the community has been pretty horrible to each other, and I'll admit that I've been one of the biggest contributors to that. The only way we can fix this issue is step by step, but we can start now.

I officially pledge to keep the trolling, insults and derogatory language to as much a minimum as I am capable, and ask that all vets join me in this. It's time to put aside our differences and work toward a better future within Perpetuum. The past is the past, and let's leave it there.

Quality posting, I like it.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Smokeyii wrote:

It's a people problem, has been always will be. Remember the Devs are people too. They've made a pretty amazing game for a couple dudes in a basement.

In my mind, the problems are two fold. On the one hand there hasn't been any new content added to the game (sorry, re-working gamma isn't new) in years, and the low player population. When I came back a year ago to the game, it was pretty much the exact same situation as now except STC and friends owned everything. The only difference then was that there were gamma islands with thousands of turrets to protect them. That's the biggest difference a year makes, besides who is top dog on the server.

As far as the players though you're right, the community has been pretty horrible to each other, and I'll admit that I've been one of the biggest contributors to that. The only way we can fix this issue is step by step, but we can start now.

I officially pledge to keep the trolling, insults and derogatory language to as much a minimum as I am capable, and ask that all vets join me in this. It's time to put aside our differences and work toward a better future within Perpetuum. The past is the past, and let's leave it there.

I agree.

We need to be realistic with what we are asking for.  Its easy to just say "new content" without realizing what time frame that would take.  This isn't CCP or Blizzard, there isn't a massive team working on the game.  Stuff needs to be fixed that's currently in game.  Graphics and the game engine need updating desperately. 

Also if you and other vets really want to help this game.  Start being more than a forum poster and the occasional chat helper.  Get active, join the new guys or rebuild what you have.

Nothing keeps new players in game better than being a part of an active corporation with veterans who know what they are doing.  Most will quit this game due to feeling lost, seeing nothing to do, and being bored.  These are all symptoms of being a loner without a corp, or being part of a group of people with no goals, no know how in how to achieve the goals, and having nothing to go on other than the people who blame the active pvpers for all the games downfalls.

Also, start getting new players and veterans who own the game on steam to start leaving positive reviews (if they like the game) and helping out on the steam forums.

This games overall user review has dropped to Mixed, from Overwhelmingly Positive.  I don't buy games with mixed user reviews without knowing for sure what im getting. 

It doesn't take much to click the follow discussion or follow forums on steam and get a notification when its active.  Takes all but 3 minuets to type out why you like the game and have played it long term.  These two steps help immensely with the game on steam.

If you are wondering about the population during this launch and the early access launch, having mostly positive user reviews, and active positive forum posting (honest positive forum posting people see though BS) would be the reason.

Like I said I typically pass right over a game where half the players gave it a bad review (unless I know for a fact its a good game)

Anyway.  Lots of talk for a lot of vets about wanting to help the game, but no effort seen.  You want this game to reach critical mass?  Now might be the LAST time you have to actually make a difference.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger you post completely contradicts the events that just happened.

This isn't meant to be overly abrasive, but why are you not doing what you stated and helping these young players out? 

We are both in the best and most visible alliance in the game, I see the help, but this incident really puts off the gems that have happened in the past.

I am Perpetuum.

On to greater things, this is a people problem and I do like how smokeyii put the problem, however this is only true of two years ago.

The industry does not wait, or hold hands you either step-up or it rolls over you.

That is why I call this a Dev problem, and for someone to state that this is somehow "our fault" is misguided at best.  We cant play the sandbox how we wish to, and then get blamed for doing so?  Don't shift the blame to us when its a development problem of NUMEROUS outdated things.

I will not sit here and try to hold there hand while they are taking our money, especially when we as a community have tried several times to give them more of it.

At some point in time when we are throwing money at the screen and you say no, or say NOTHING, said money stops getting thrown.

I'll throw it somewhere else.

I am Perpetuum.

Then we have to tell your this....

I am Perpetuum.

Can you stop triple posting like me, its getting creepy.

36 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-10-20 21:20:11)

Perpetuum wrote:

This isn't meant to be overly abrasive, but why are you not doing what you stated and helping these young players out? 

We are both in the best and most visible alliance in the game, I see the help, but this incident really puts off the gems that have happened in the past.

Don't care what a person whos too afraid to post under his man thinks.

You help the game how you see fit.  We will deal with the active end of the game being the only vets who are willing to play.

Don't like it, too bad.  You don't even know the whole story behind what you posted.

Everyone here on the forums has the best ideas how to retain players so long as it doesn't involve playing....of course other than the few posters who are active and do play beyond just logging into their 3 man corps to ninja  sap then log off.

Anyway.  Good luck trying to sway the hearts and minds of people who don't matter (vets only active on the forums) under an alias account as to remain secret.  Don't care who you are.

However, a lot of what you said looks and sound VERY familiar....from someone else who posts a lot but wont play.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Perpetuum wrote:

You are not in our alliance.

"Helping the game" is not a relevant factor when we're considering kicking a recruit from our organization. We have our criteria.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Personally, I consider the Gamma patch to be fairly decent endgame PVE/PVP content, tbh. I know many, who have had a lot of fun terraforming/building gamma bases, including those who have no interest in PVP. I think it brings a lot to the table. I myself had a lot of fun spending countless hours terraforming for defence or offence, building, destroying, deconstructing gamma bases.

That being said, as endgame content, the cost of having fun on gamma can be rather high. Making it hard for newer players/corporations to experience it, until much later in their perpetuum lives. While this is not necessarily a bad thing. For gamma to really shine I think it will need a fairly large population to really see its potential. I can't imagine the day when Gamma islands are all actively owned and lived on... Would be an awesome sight.

All this really leads me to is, at this point. Its really not about what the old bitter vets would like to see. The game population needs to continue to grow, and as such I think 2 things need to be addressed. Beginning and middle PVE content, and the viability of small scale pvp.

We need new PVE content to keep the early players hanging around, and we need viable small scale pvp to keep the new corporations and PVP players hooked. While I prefer the small unit battles to the larger ones, I realize the need to have a healthy mix of both. But I can tell you for sure, that if you cant find enjoyable PVP to do with 5 friends, you will never even get a chance to try it with 50.

As an encouraging note, with the upcoming PVE redo, things should be getting better. On the PVP side, some changes are being made to help this I think already. With hopefully more to come...

And I too don't particularly care for people choosing to hide behind forum alts either....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

After we got our first house and second ship today in Archage I did think to myself maybe the game would be better served by having half of gamma a no PvP zone with restrictions and tighter rules. Why does perpetuum have to be so hardcore again?

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

After we got our first house and second ship today in Archage I did think to myself maybe the game would be better served by having half of gamma a no PvP zone with restrictions and tighter rules. Why does perpetuum have to be so hardcore again?

I wouldn't mind a separate island type for pve competitive activites, including base building, and some type of pve metric to compete with.

This game desperately needs something for corps to do while they are too weak for pvp and to help them get stronger.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Jita wrote:

Yes. +1

No one is outraged at us calling and calling for more PVE content, only for it to never to happen?

We are patient, but this is getting to a breaking point.

When you have our alliance openly talking about other games in GD, and other alliances doing the same, we have nothing but a forum to putting down this game over and over again. 

Gamma is a toy, you set it up, watch in run and walk away.  Its cool, I get it.  Really, I do.  Make it safe zones or whatever blue ribbon you want to put on it, go for it.  It does NOTHING to stem the stream out of the game.

This is why I have to post on a alt.  So everyone can hate me freely.  I will gladly take it for the game, if it means that we finally start moving forward.

I am Perpetuum.

Perpetuum wrote:

We are patient

This is why your not in PoE.

Perpetuum wrote:

No one is outraged at us calling and calling for more PVE content, only for it to never to happen?

We are patient, but this is getting to a breaking point.

When you have our alliance openly talking about other games in GD, and other alliances doing the same, we have nothing but a forum to putting down this game over and over again. 

Gamma is a toy, you set it up, watch in run and walk away.  Its cool, I get it.  Really, I do.  Make it safe zones or whatever blue ribbon you want to put on it, go for it.  It does NOTHING to stem the stream out of the game.

This is why I have to post on a alt.  So everyone can hate me freely.  I will gladly take it for the game, if it means that we finally start moving forward.

I have to agree we have been patient enough. Although if there is no constructive feedback behind your rants, specially OP. Then things are just not going to improve any faster unless Devs get more $$$ and can hire more Devs.

RIP PERPETUUM

45 (edited by Burial 2014-10-21 16:32:13)

Stranger Danger wrote:
Burial wrote:
Kayin Prime wrote:

*** I typed too much again

Hey now, all is supposedly well and good in your kingdom. Have fun with Gammas and enjoy the game. wink

I casually slap you with my kraken tentacle every so often, just to remind you of your place in the large scheme of things.

lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

47 (edited by Burial 2014-10-21 17:48:19)

Do you hold a "Days since I last lost an outpost to newbies" counter on your wall? You should zero it out. lol

Burial wrote:

Do you hold a "Days since I last lost an outpost to newbies" counter on your wall? You should zero it out. lol

Stop calling Pakaw, Beastmode and DOY newbies.  It hurts their feelings.

Last I checked they didn't have a station.. or do they now?

They do the bulk end of the work, but its cool keep calling them nubs.