Topic: Lets talk: the next major player influx

Alright you guys took your Hungarian "two weeks" to get gamma out..

Im sure paint jobs are another two weeks from now as well (remember those?)

So whats the plan here.  Whats the road map to properly handling a potential influx of players greater than early access?

Lets say a great idea would be to have some sort of surprise to occupy current players with a notification of something to look forward to for new players within a few months (not a Hungarian two weeks)

Lets get this game on steam front page with a real plan of attack.  It pains me to see greenlight wasted with a year of nothing and the early access wasted sort of...with a lot of dev time spent turtled up...

Seems theres about a month or two before people start to trickle out.  So you can expect that without something major or new (how hard is it to make 3 new beta and plop some gamma islands within a month?) planned out and ready to go prior to wading in the pool or a populated game again.

I know a lot of people would come back (some have) with the return of gamma..but to a vet the new gamma lacks everything cool about the gamma we knew...which is fine lets think new guys.....

Ill start babysitting your steam forums again, but lets give out some info...

Oh and right now I think your getting a nice boost from a youtube mention of this game on extra credit as seen on the off topic discussion.

if possible lets line up a few months of (even if its token) updates and content before we go get a bunch of steamlings and watch them leave before the 6 month dev cycle brings back a few.  I think if you can stack a few influxes in a row we might hit some sort of critical mass.

anything that makes no sense disclaimer: booze and asparagus.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

2 (edited by Inda 2014-09-29 06:08:42)

Re: Lets talk: the next major player influx

+1 and

Last blog:

Zoom said: "That’s all for now, and I’ll try to make these reports a monthly thing, promised."

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

People ask for dev blogs but when there is finally one it seems they don't read it.

Your question is answered in the "What comes next" part of the most recent blog post.

People need new: robots, modules.

DEV Zoom wrote:

People ask for dev blogs but when there is finally one it seems they don't read it.

Your question is answered in the "What comes next" part of the most recent blog post.

It's because Gamma doesn't interest the majority.

Burial wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

+1. Sorry Zoom.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Less tech demo/developing what is fun to write as a programmer... and more content that a large chunk of casual players find interesting on a an hour or two on a daily basis! (read; PVE, leaderboards/goals, more bots, missions and stuff to do as a team...)

Baal wrote:

Less tech demo/developing what is fun to write as a programmer... and more content that a large chunk of casual players find interesting on a an hour or two on a daily basis! (read; PVE, leaderboards/goals, more bots, missions and stuff to do as a team...)

well, i would really like to see them developing a fun techdemo of several NPC factions "playing the game".
Because when i read the DAILY blogs of that "Limit Theory" DEV, i can feel his exitement putting some life into his game.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

9 (edited by Maidden 2014-10-02 13:24:58)

Burial wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

+1 That is for sure! Even this latest "Gamma fix" patch. Really just irritated me because I had a mining op going. And I was not alone!

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

DEV Zoom wrote:

people read it they don't remember it.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

This whole topic assumes there will be a "major" player influx, which, unless Zoom wins the lottery(do they have those in Hungary?) and can afford to advertise the game the last beacon of light there is, is the out of early access release on Steam, which thus-far has been lackluster in bringing in the players.

Given that at just about any time there's four million people on steam, the few thousand that Perp's managed to pull is pretty appalling, and I'd be willing to bet less than 1% have stayed to actively play.

Smokeyii wrote:

This whole topic assumes there will be a "major" player influx, which, unless Zoom wins the lottery(do they have those in Hungary?) and can afford to advertise the game the last beacon of light there is, is the out of early access release on Steam, which thus-far has been lackluster in bringing in the players.

Given that at just about any time there's four million people on steam, the few thousand that Perp's managed to pull is pretty appalling, and I'd be willing to bet less than 1% have stayed to actively play.

That the toxicity your complaining about in that other thread?

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger Danger wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

That the toxicity your complaining about in that other thread?

+1

Its not toxicity its the truth. Short of going ftp there are no watershed moments likely to bring in a new influx. If its packaged and promoted right the bot rebalance could be bundled with pve and that may do it but given the way gammas rerelease was botched from a PR point of view I just don't know.

You can call it toxic if you want, if that will somehow make you feel better about the TRUTH that I typed.

Or maybe in danger stranger land there's just gonna be 100,000 people that wake up tomorrow and go "Hey, remember that game that came out 4 years ago that has like 15 dudes still playing it? I wanna BUY it for $30!"

Don't get me wrong, if that happened, I'd be ecstatic. Let's face it though, the game is essentially a clone of a game with a somewhat small niche of players, and the resources to advertise like crazy and keep new content steadily pumping into the game.

The last shining star for the game was steam release, and 6 months later it's proven to be a pretty evident flop. The devs got a boost, upgrade/moved the servers out of their mom's basement we had a fun few weeks of new people to shoot and influence and most of them *** off somewhere else.

What else is there to look forward to? You guys don't seem to want to change to infuse new content, and the only content the devs have added in the past year is a gamma revamp no one wanted, and only 1 entity will use.

Yippe.

Zoom could get an influx of old players by sending all accounts that have subd over 3 months an email telling them their accts are now FtP. Entice them more by giving them a boost or two to help them close the ep gap.

They did that already which is why the last influx happened.

Lol, I think an email to all previous players and the release of new Pve content as well as a server wipe would entice new and old players to return. Who doesn't miss t1 fit assault battles that felt like it was a whole days worth of work?

I'm sure most everyone has played pokemom at some point and beat the game but started over fresh to try and find a new challenge.

Aye Pod wrote:

Zoom could get an influx of old players by sending all accounts that have subd over 3 months an email telling them their accts are now FtP. Entice them more by giving them a boost or two to help them close the ep gap.

Should do this regularly like any email campaign ...at least monthly, and on special occasions like important releases or updates. Zoom it would not be hard. They can sub out if they don't want the emails.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:

Should do this regularly like any email campaign ...at least monthly, and on special occasions like important releases or updates. Zoom it would not be hard. They can sub out if they don't want the emails.

Id assume most of the player accounts are made with inactive email accounts, or email accounts for gaming where people don't check for mail regularly.  I know I don't.  Most of my gaming related emails are awash with random *** and it would be a major pain to filter out stuff I might actually be interested in.

The last big chance they have is in removing early access and getting steam front page exposure.  They cant blow that...and they cant waste what influx they do get with 6 months of nothing.

They have to be ready to do something to get more players before that influx thins out.  Possibly adding back a trial/demo after they get a nice population surge, then adding new content directly after.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

It is 6 months since steam EA. Registered users on the forums at end of April was 30,710 (Post with info), now there are 33,009. An increase of 2,299.

Alt characters on same account count toward that number and, of course, not every account is registered for the forums but it's still some use as an indicator of new accounts since then.

Just thought that was kinda interesting.

The guy QQing on steam, shows 2076 unique logins.

Gwyndor wrote:

Lol, I think an email to all previous players and the release of new Pve content as well as a server wipe would entice new and old players to return. Who doesn't miss t1 fit assault battles that felt like it was a whole days worth of work?

I'm sure most everyone has played pokemom at some point and beat the game but started over fresh to try and find a new challenge.

I said they should of done a server wipe when they went to steam, they would of kept a lot of the new players as they would not of had the vets to deal with.

I have not played in a long time as have moved and now live in a mining camp with very crap internet, but when and if I come back I have more than enough stuff not to ever need to buy from the market again.

the whole topic is just troll.

how many times do you think it needs wiping?
every 2 month, half years?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Seems a little late for a wipe now as the time has past, missed the boat, etc...