1 (edited by xara 2014-09-29 15:44:09)

Topic: Assignment bug

Belvedere II Retrieval mission.

Mission Text:
Please find and scan a possible intruder for us. First, you'll have to fetch the scanner parameters by using an interface to know what you're looking for. After you've done it, you will be able to find the spy with your equipped geoscanner and artifact scanner charges. If you find the spy squad, eliminate them and bring back everyhing you find.

Unfortunately, the mission spawns the location just enough out of reach on a terrain slope...that I cannot get the mission to update when I scan.  I cannot complete, and will lose my mission bonus if I abort.

http://i.gyazo.com/652ae669cf78fdf373acbb5178ddb0ce.png
http://i.gyazo.com/c90c3ff60391749d390f1b56882c07a0.png

Re: Assignment bug

The artifact in most missions isn't located direclty on (under) the marker.  How far from the location were you when you scanned at the location in the picture?

Hunt around a bit, I bet you will find it.

Altera is right, the artifact can be anywhere within the red objective circle that is shown on the radar. (Otherwise it wouldn't be a search really.)

Another player was able to roll right up..in the same location and complete the scan.  I've spent 56 charges in the area.  I dropped that mission..ended up getting the same one again, and tried it again...still didnt spawn the NPCs.

Artifact locations are different for everyone and for every time you take the mission.

someone explain "artifact scanning"
and then, someone explain why its necessary to have noob missions with that

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by xara 2014-09-29 17:29:40)

I dotted the landscape in the red circle..56 times.
Perhaps its skill related..I dont know.  I followed the instructions in the assignment.

Well it looks like you didn't "dot" in the right place. Are you familiar with how artifact scanning works?

9 (edited by xara 2014-09-29 17:32:33)

I also used the scan tool..to pinpoint the location...stood on it, and scanned.  I should have screenshotted the beams of light forest I created....

10 (edited by Annihilator 2014-09-29 17:34:32)

xara wrote:

I dotted the landscape in the red circle..56 times.

ok step by step:

1. you go to the red area
2. you load 3km artifact charges into your scanner and make a scan
3. you look at your scan result window (that you havent shown us yet) and check the distance given in that result.
4. rightclick on your radar, set circle to that shown range and try to remember it.
5. if the result was within 1km range, you switch to the cheaper 1km charges and do another scan a few meters away from your first
5. now you set your radar circle again to the given value and try to remember where the first one was. where they cross, there you should go and do another scan
6. depending on where you walk, the number on your scan result should get smaller, until you are in 100m range of the artifact and the NPCs spawn.

win.

oh, and btw... perhaps zoom will agree that the geoscanner accuracy mechanic is not in favor of "not frustrating new player"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

xara wrote:

I also used the scan tool..to pinpoint the location...stood on it, and scanned.  I should have screenshotted the beams of light forest I created....

Xara what's you scanning accuracy. I want to test if with low accuracy it is still possible.

RIP PERPETUUM

Ive never leveled up any scanning on this toon, so its at default level, which seems appropriate for low level missions...

http://i.gyazo.com/39aa5de08f85eb89ce2b9eb7811e21fb.png

I am using the charges I am able to equip.

14 (edited by xara 2014-09-29 17:53:48)

Annihilator wrote:

oh, and btw... perhaps zoom will agree that the geoscanner accuracy mechanic is not in favor of "not frustrating new player"

Add that text to the Assignment data.

Its all fine if it takes higher skill to complete the Assignment, if that is indeed the case.  But it does not say as much.

Third time..same mission...same method...mobs spawned right away.  Same location.

I guess thats working as intended?  Thanks everyone for the input smile

There appears to be some misconceptions about artifact scanning.

Yes low skills do affect the accuracy of your result, but not by as much as you think.
When I played and first started, artifacting was my main source of income and I did it for at least 7-8 months straight. Made good coin. Moved to gamma and scanned, made good coin.

You DO NOT NEED TO INCREASE YOUR SKILLS BEYOND THE MINIMUM required. Ever.
You don't need to scan in a bonused bot. The only equipment I improved was the scanner, a T4 scanner is worth the investment. Having a scan accuracy of around 70-75% is more than sufficient to find any artifact reasonably quickly. The only activity that requires as close to 100% scanner accuracy is SAP intrusion times. Good luck.

18 (edited by xara 2014-09-29 19:01:52)

Thanks for the info...but I just used the same exact equipment..the same exact way...and it worked the third time.

I asked for help in game, and was told by two others they had the same issue, and had to drop the mission and redo it.

Cassius wrote:

There appears to be some misconceptions about artifact scanning.

Yes low skills do affect the accuracy of your result, but not by as much as you think.
When I played and first started, artifacting was my main source of income and I did it for at least 7-8 months straight. Made good coin. Moved to gamma and scanned, made good coin.

You DO NOT NEED TO INCREASE YOUR SKILLS BEYOND THE MINIMUM required. Ever.
You don't need to scan in a bonused bot. The only equipment I improved was the scanner, a T4 scanner is worth the investment. Having a scan accuracy of around 70-75% is more than sufficient to find any artifact reasonably quickly. The only activity that requires as close to 100% scanner accuracy is SAP intrusion times. Good luck.

This is all true, but most new players aren't going to have the NIC for a T4 scanner.  Most of them just use the T0 that came in their arke (since they are trying to do T0 assignments, assume most of them are new) and they get frustrated (these kids today) because they have a 30% accuracy and artifact distances are all over the place.
Since I assume the T0 missions are trying to reinforce some of the skills they all blew through quickly on the newb island (gotta get in that mech before the weekend is over), this particular mission causes a lot of new player heartache and the devs should think about giving new players a little help here (or make them repeat the artifact class over summer vacation;)

There wasnt a noob island when I started sad And..I've scanned an artifact or many over the years.  Believe it or not..it simply didnt work the first two missions.

additional to scanner accuracy scrambling the range numbers, you also have to consider that rough terrain also has an effect.
I could be wrong, but i think there is the same 2D vs. 3D distance issue at work that some had on gamma islands.
(your landmark info is 3D, the scan result 2D?)