Re: Detection / Masking

Ville wrote:

Can only see a masked light ewar at 700 M now and the ewar is faster.  Detection bot will always die now if caught out in open terrain.  On the test server with this current mechanic you have, it will not be used in game.

The only use for a detector will be to hug a station and detect or jump to an external then detect and jump out.

You will no longer want to use a detector to scout an island.

Also keeping a detector on a mech in the middle of a pack is a bad idea.  The signal masking debuff will allow an enemy fleet to be able to see the mech in the group from 2500+. 

The Only thing that should have been done is turn the Detectors down a bit and maskers down a bit in tandem.   

Increase the CPU of the detector module (T4) and a (T1~T4) demob could not be fit on a light mk2.  Not crazy but like 25 CPU over.

The current build for a castel mk2 detector is:

T4LWF + T4Small Shield + T2P Med Aux accum in legs
T4 Detector + T4 Demob

All you need to do is balance the above where the Demob can't fit on it and GG.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

102 (edited by Burial 2014-09-07 09:37:59)

Castel MK2 ridiculous tank is an issue too, but let's not start to derail the topic.

Like Anni said earlier, it's very hard to balance detectors and maskers against normal bots. Just separate them completely: Make maskers hide you, but also make you blind and make detectors spot masky bots only.

So what's the point of maskers? Move unseen, hit objectives stealthily, escape from combat etc. In a perfect world, detectors would be there to spot them. Detectors could have emphasized visibility towards masked bots, they could see masked bots further than normally.

103 (edited by Ville 2014-09-06 17:28:07)

You can start by reading page 1.  Where EVERYTHING you have posted is already there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Not hard, You cut Both values in half and GG.  Not the level of Extremes on the test server.  (IMO, too much.  I like the reduction in detectors but the masking debuff is WAY too high.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And if you don't cut the maskers too, they will become so useful, that regardless of the skill of detection you will have a buffer of 400 M to find a light ewar, which can easily be used to evade anyone.

-Light ewar, fit in tandem with a castel mk2 detector W/ Velocity will be FASTER, and be much faster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Burial wrote:

Castel MK2 ridiculous tank is an issue too, but let's not start to derail the topic, ok?

BTW, the ridiculous tank your refer to is a 99KPH Castel MK2.  The 130+KPH Castel MK2 takes 1 volley and is killed instantly.

Speed tackle operates at 140+KPH.

Do I need to continue?  Or do I need to draw a picture?

So what, if fast Light EW maskers can evade anyone, they can only spy and run away, nothing more.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

So what, if fast Light EW maskers can evade anyone, they can only spy and run away, nothing more.

Dear Player Celebro,

It will mean that light ewar will be able to ghank in packs and always evade the island owners.  Or any counter group to respond.

Ville wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Dear Player Celebro,

It will mean that light ewar will be able to ghank in packs and always evade the island owners.  Or any counter group to respond.

oh, stealth is usefull for what its intended to?
WOW, great news.
I remember having stealth assaults beeing the most fun times on the server... wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Ville wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Dear Player Celebro,

I still fail to see it evading a fast tackle with armed EW lights. You can gank in packs of lights so what, can't you do that now? Yes you can I have seen it, they can still run away, but I guess a good defence should have more eyes and be more prepared.

RIP PERPETUUM

Guess what man, you have a 850 M buffer. NOW.  If this continues you will be able to ALWAYS get away.

109 (edited by Burial 2014-09-18 04:48:10)

Burial wrote:

I just checked out what detection I can get on Test vs Live. 214.33 detection points. I still see Mechs at ~2.65km vs ~2.9km on live. What the small masking reduction buff does is make the mech see me at 1km instead of 1.25km.

This doesn't fix anything.

BUMP. What's the point of this "fix"?

Change: Reduced the signal detection modification of signal detector modules, and also added a negative signal masking modification to them. (Meaning if you activate your signal detector, you'll be more visible to others as well.)

Burial wrote:
Burial wrote:

I just checked out what detection I can get on Test vs Live. 214.33 detection points. I still see Mechs at ~2.65km vs ~2.9km on live. What the small masking reduction buff does is make the mech see me at 1km instead of 1.25km.

This doesn't fix anything.

BUMP. What's the point of this "fix"?

Change: Reduced the signal detection modification of signal detector modules, and also added a negative signal masking modification to them. (Meaning if you activate your signal detector, you'll be more visible to others as well.)

Probably want to login and check it.  It's really bad now.

You are right, it's slightly better. I think they also reduced the extensions from 3% to 1%.

Right now I end up with 189.19 signal detection which makes me see a Mech at 2,36km. Being able to fit out a Castel MK2 going 185 with that detection range needs to go.

Burial wrote:

You are right, it's slightly better. I think they also reduced the extensions from 3% to 1%.

Right now I end up with 189.19 signal detection which makes me see a Mech at 2,36km. Being able to fit out a Castel MK2 going 185 with that detection range needs to go.

at that speed you have 0 tank.

the question is, can you catch it with a masked zenith?
and will it even matter after the already announced rebalance patch.

one thing i don't like about nerfing expensive extensions: they turn into "all or nothing" extensions, and the lower then T4 modules turn into obsolete and crafting only items.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The answer Anni is no.