1 (edited by Cassius 2014-02-03 20:58:45)

Topic: Account "gifting"

Hmm, probably not the best topic to dive into, but wtf ..

First, this practice in general is not something I've ever been comfortable with, in any game.
It's not something I'd ever do. That said ...

Could you make a forum Character Bazaar, much like some other game, that would allow characters to be transferred from one player to another with clear cut rules?

There are many, many accounts in this game that players have skilled up and stopped playing after 6 months, or players with secondary accounts skilled in specialties like logistics or protoyping, that changes to the game have eliminated the need for those players to have those accounts.

Currently, I understand the rules for this appear a little fuzzy, to say the least. People could in theory "gift" accounts for the afternoon to let someone else mine and then "gift" them back that evening .... effectively allowing multiple players to run single accounts and exploit resources.

If you had a character bazaar where people could purchase characters with in game items or Nic, and did not allow a traded character to be traded again for 30, 60, or 90 days, or whatever, this would prevent account lending while allowing characters to switch owners. And it being public and transparent on the forums would allow you the devs to control it and eliminate people changing their minds or claiming their character has been stolen.

I'm not really saying I want this idea. What I am saying is the current rules or understanding seems to allow for a large latitude of abuse, and headaches for the Devs .... why would they (you) want that?.

Re: Account "gifting"

I agree wholeheartedly. If it's going to move from one player to another it needs a forum record and the ability to sell it for nic.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Account gifting should not be allowed.

I think it's a good thing for the game if it's regulated and costs an ice or some ***

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Inb4 the Merkle :fuuuu:

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

This must be the second step to ending muti-account 'abuse'

Once Follow is gone it will be safe to BUY and SELL accounts!!!

Sparking to other games

At least then if you bother to set up over 9000 *** you can get something for them.

8 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-02-04 14:01:25)

I have to agree with Cass. the DEVs turning the blind eye to this is stupid. Have it regulated in some way is the best option.
Keep account trades in the open.
Make it a Banable offence to impersonate the original owner of a sold account.
Ban Player accounts that share / trade accounts that dont make the trade public.

All the swapping that goes on in the dark atm is VERY bad for the game long term & will lead to MASSIVE abuses & scamming that will hurt this games reputation.
Seen this happen before.

+1 to OP

Burial wrote:

Account gifting should not be allowed.

^^ this the preferred option.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Accounts need to warned then banned if IP changes consecutively for more than 3 days in a row or something. This is not fair to others that go by the rules or fear you will loose the account.

Yes this is still happening and account gifting once or twice a week is still some abuse but not when high end accounts are shared and in use 24/7. Something should be done.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Accounts need to warned then banned if IP changes consecutively for more than 3 days in a row or something. This is not fair to others that go by the rules or fear you will loose the account.

Yes this is still happening and account gifting once or twice a week is still some abuse but not when high end accounts are shared and in use 24/7. Something should be done.

-1. I travel and between hotel wifi, cell phone towers and jobsite DSL there could have been times I had three different IPs in a day.

Ville wrote:
Celebro wrote:

-1. I travel and between hotel wifi, cell phone towers and jobsite DSL there could have been times I had three different IPs in a day.

Are you travelling all the time? Maybe there is a way to not ban those with different IPs that are close, but I am sure it's not that hard to see a pattern at least between different time zones.

RIP PERPETUUM

12 (edited by Gremrod 2014-09-15 20:11:21)

I don't care who is using the account. If it is active it is good for the game. If it is active and spending money on the game even better.

I say allow character transfers or account gifting. +1 to OP

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

I don't care who is using the account. If it is active it is good for the game. If it is active and spending money on the game even better.

So you find it ok that high end miner accounts can change hands 24/7?

RIP PERPETUUM

I am not sure when I will be on a business trip in Luxembourg next week it will be close to Polish IPs or to the london IP i had yesterday.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Celebro wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

So you find it ok that high end miner accounts can change hands 24/7?

I said allow character transfers.

I don't think I mind high end miner accounts changing hands 24/7. You still need to spend the time to get the minerals.

But I would rather see something in place for character transfer for NIC.

16 (edited by Celebro 2014-09-15 21:52:28)

How convenient, everyone in CIR/PHM are a bunch of nomads.

Accounts on 24hrs for days -red flag 1

Accounts changes IP at roughly the same time consecutively for a period of days/week. red flag 2

Both IPs are on 5-6hrs+ different time zone ( between London and Poland there is only 1 hour difference)-red flag 3

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Accounts changes hands at roughly the same time consecutively for a period of days/week. red flag 2

Both IPs are on 5-6hrs+ different time zone ( between London and Poland there is only 1 hour difference)-red flag 3

Who said anything about accounts changing hands?

18 (edited by Celebro 2014-09-15 21:52:03)

Gremrod wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Accounts changes hands at roughly the same time consecutively for a period of days/week. red flag 2

Who said anything about accounts changing hands?

correction:

Accounts changes IP at roughly the same time consecutively for a period of days/week. red flag 2

RIP PERPETUUM

celebro - you are expecting that the perp server could track login patterns?
it cannot even track player / corp wallets having irregular or extreme changes to track exploits or broken game mechanics.

or something as simple "server crashed, SMS/pager notify the server admin"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Celebro wrote:

I have characters I just leave online, for 1 - afk mining in scarabs, 2 put them in stations to scare away unwanted dockupskis.  smile

21 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-09-16 03:05:15)

Account sharing provides for equal opportunity abuse, meaning ANYONE can do it.

But that's not what this is about. This is about DEFAMING and ENTIRE GROUP at every corner and turn in the game while PRETENDING that everyone else is innocent as the driven snow is pure.

Oh you're all such poor VICTIMS. Don't you guys ever tire of hunting witches?

Did you know there are two ways to discover a witch: (1) drown them and if they survive they are a witch, or (2) burn them and again if they survive they are a witch. I don't know then how to kill a witch, but I'm pretty sure once you discover one you're totally *** as they don't like to be discovered. Likely they will drown you, revive you before you die and then burn you till you die again for good. So it's perhaps not the best idea to go hunting witches. You have much better odds recruiting players, training them to pvp and sending them out to Beta to hunt 77/CIR.

Sparking to other games

Rex, huh? History says your alliance mates had engaged in this previously. Why would you find it surprising people may imply it again?

Gremrod you said you were in favour of account transfers and gifting. They are not the same.
Accounts playing the game doesn't equal success.

If one maxxed miner account is gifted to 3 different players in a day and is continuously used to mine a resource at peak efficiency, the net effect is a higher yield of resources and wealth. And this yield is done with a 1/3 of the account cost if each player was required to max their characters in the same field. This is why account "gifting" can be used and abused.

If the character is sold, transferred publicly, and cannot be returned for a reasonable period of time, then theoretically newer enthusiastic players can purchase experienced accounts and dive into a deeper level of gameplay sooner than 1 EP a minute. In this scenario, the Devs make money on the transfers.

I'm not advocating anything. All I'm saying as I said in the OP is that the current system is ripe for abuse. I also stated it's not something I'd do. In light that I no longer play the game, and I have 3 accounts with 1.6+ mill EP and 5 accounts with at least 200k + unspent EP, you'd think I'd be happy to see this implemented so I can sell them. But it's not a practice I'd ever do and my position hasn't changed.

I'd like to sell accounts for $.

Rex Amelius wrote:

Account sharing provides for equal opportunity abuse, meaning ANYONE can do it.

Should we all start breaking rules just because one group is doing it.. ?

Cassius wrote:

Gremrod you said you were in favour of account transfers and gifting. They are not the same.
Accounts playing the game doesn't equal success.

Yeah you're right. I must of been thinking it and just typed it. smile

Cassius wrote:

If one maxxed miner account is gifted to 3 different players in a day and is continuously used to mine a resource at peak efficiency, the net effect is a higher yield of resources and wealth. And this yield is done with a 1/3 of the account cost if each player was required to max their characters in the same field. This is why account "gifting" can be used and abused.

You have convinced me even more. I don't think account sharing should be aloud. smile

Cassius wrote:

If the character is sold, transferred publicly, and cannot be returned for a reasonable period of time, then theoretically newer enthusiastic players can purchase experienced accounts and dive into a deeper level of gameplay sooner than 1 EP a minute. In this scenario, the Devs make money on the transfers.

Agree. smile