Topic: Increased robot speeds

Not sure anyone noticed yet, but we have considerably increased the base speed of all robots (straight +36kph). This is not a test server only convenience change, this will go out to the live server.

Combined with the proposed highway and teleport network changes, this should make boring walks somewhat less of an issue.

2 (edited by Burial 2014-09-04 17:51:35)

Re: Increased robot speeds

How will the new teleport network look?

3 (edited by Annihilator 2014-09-04 16:54:33)

oh, thats the reason inda's camelion jumped on my radar... close to 200kph with a small ewar is still not very easy to sync.

tell me, is this the end for spark teleportation?

and is that  revamped highway system something that uses the new dynamic highway painting we have on gamma?
i really want to see npcs neuting alpha highway nodes and missions asking for killing them and repairing the highways...

really

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

4 (edited by Rage Blackout 2014-09-04 17:04:16)

suggest:  remove sparks,     or make islands 30% smaller

"bumping in to bushes online"

Knee Jerk solution - I said it first looking forward to see what breaks

Thanks Zoom, for making it 100% easier to scout islands to kill people.   lol

desync online  -   brilliant idea lol

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

I don't think you realize what a heavy going 80+ kph will result in.

Normally I'd say re-evaluate this, but you won't listen to that anyway so do w/e you feel doing.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

O.o

Hard to say something.
But I am not sure this is good change guys.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Have to agree this seems like a bad change. What would be the reason for it? If its to address the concerns that people feel alpha moving is too slow why not put an alpha 1 aura that increases speed by that amount, an alpha 2 thats 50% of that and then nothing on beta and gamma. At least then you making power projection even worse.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

In before gunner rmt alert thread.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

also seconding the thought that if this was done alongside the removal of spark teleports from the game then +1

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Lol so I was right about this being a speed buff on the test server tongue

-1 to the devs idea BUT I do like the idea of aura boosting the alpha 1 and 2 islands to some degree.
Also why not just have highways give a larger speed boost?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

lets add a flat 100 kph

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

For a lot player, the most stopping issue is the fact that you "waste"  a lot time moving around without doing something. But Flat increasing speed without anything else (in one step), would break seriously several mechanics.
First the issue that farming and mining on beta/gamma will be far more dangerous, as soon as activity is back to a degree when it is no point to collect 10 player in a roam.
Second the issue that it will mean, that the role of transport will be less profitable as long as there are not tons to move, the faster it will be to move from one trade place to another the less price difference can establish.

Hush all you naysayers, dis gonna be gud.

14 (edited by Celebro 2014-09-05 14:32:44)

There is something worth mentioning here. With this changes EW lights gets 50% boost on speed , whilst heavy mechs gets a 90% boost. So were these speeds unbalanced before?

Shouldn't you give like a 50% boost to all bot based on the base speed.

RIP PERPETUUM

15 (edited by Burial 2014-09-05 18:12:27)

Celebro wrote:

There is something worth mentioning here. With this changes EW lights gets 50% boost on speed , whilst heavy mechs gets a 90% boost. So were these speeds unbalanced before?

Sounds logical, but It's worse than fixed amount in this case. Problem is with the slow bots moving too slowly not fast bots moving too slowly.

I don't agree that a flat +36 kmph increase is the way to go though. Just better highway system and teleport network should be enough. Need more info on teleport network.

Celebro wrote:

On a scale of 1 to 'something Alf would think up' its got to be right up there.

Celebro wrote:

Was waiting till someone used Math. smile

The trouble with a speed boost is it will make no difference to new players. It will make a difference if you have played before but if your just coming in to the game people will still moan just as they did after the navigation skills were removed.

Why not link it to missions and aura's

level 1 missions - level 5 missions gives you a 10 - 50% boost to speed aura while on the associated alpha.

This is not a proper solution, but affects many things ingame, market, detecting, PVP.

The 36 kmh is wont change the boredom of a mission, it will be boring even with that speed.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

This sort of thing is why:
1) the devs need to play their own game
2) we cant have nice things

+1
-Confucius

even an alpha only aura is a stuipid idea that would keep player away from the "land where dragons live and robots move much slower".

I agree with overhauled highway network and eventual boost to highway buff would alread solve the main issue at hand.
After all, using the existing highways gives you a negliable advantage getting from PoI to PoI compared to just going straight there.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

22 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-09-05 20:54:48)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Not sure anyone noticed yet, but we have considerably increased the base speed of all robots (straight +36kph). This is not a test server only convenience change, this will go out to the live server.

Combined with the proposed highway and teleport network changes, this should make boring walks somewhat less of an issue.

what? what? what?

Do you have any idea the implication of this change? At first reaction, it's game changing ...at least for pvp.

Will be interesting to see at least, but be prepared for ripples in the pond

EDIT: Just read all comments above and glad to see everyone so far sees it as more negative that positive. I bet Devs are scratching their heads. bet you guys thought we would jump up and down with joy. More proof you don't know your own game

Nice sledge hammer

HULK SMASH

Sparking to other games

Shhhh....  You people ruin this and I swear to Jeebus...

No comment.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

The damn map is small enough already, the only grind for speed was missions!  Do not implement a flat speed increase on live!!!!!111