Topic: Smite

So, I started playing Smite yesterday, it's a MOBA (which I usually dislike) but it's 3rd person shooter style and requires you to aim, etc and far easier to understand than DOTA, at least imo. 

I like that all of the characters are gods from world mythology.  It's been kind of amusing, but I'm a total newbie and the cash shop seems to have ridiculously high pricing (I calculated a month of "booster" xp/whatever to cost ~$16.50/month at the best gem pricing level of 8000 for $100), although I am considering the $30 1 time unlock for all current and future gods which I guess is an ongoing special promotion.

So you can buy gems to unlock or play matches to unlock gods, and then there are skins and voice packs for some of them, there is a wide variety everything from Thor to Cupid covering Greek/Norse/Hindu/Chinese/Roman mythologies with various roles, a few different game modes with the ability to play competitively (ongoing tournament gearing up) to coop with or without other actual people.  They seem to rotate a set of gods that are unlocked for some period of time so you can try different ones out but I didn't see a way to test the other ones without buying.

It's from hi-rez studios which are the same people that did Global Agenda which I also played a few years ago before it went "F2P with cash shop" so I already had an account, it's like ~4GB download or something.  Graphics are DX 9 so not super amazing but good enough and it has no complaints about windowed mode or alt tabbing to change documentaries on my other monitor.  Anyway it stands as the only "MOBA" I've played for more than half an hour so I thought maybe other people would be interested in checking it out too.

Be warned though, like every conceivable name has been taken, it took me something like 20 tries at a name before I became philosofaptor (no, that's not a typo).

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Re: Smite

Yeah...  My wife plays it....

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Yeah...  My wife plays it....

And bobo.

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

Real men play Dota.

Burial wrote:

Real men play Dota.

I doubt this

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

6 (edited by Crepitus 2014-09-05 14:25:12)

Burial wrote:

Real men play Dota.

I played it a couple times in beta, it really failed to pull me in.  It's boring as ***, the game seems to focus around item picking and there was only 1 map, I really don't understand the appeal at all.

As for Smite, I got the god pack last night which unlocked all the playable gods, I'm liking Isis's AoE + stuns although she's squishy against assassins.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Burial wrote:

Real men play Dota.

*** Dota. fuuu

Reading this signature fills you with determination.