Re: Gamma revamp testing

hmm, i thought more you where refering to the two guys who built most of the first CIR base, and later PHM base.

Jita - how big are your chances to build a T1 base if it takes you several days to move in? as far as i can tell, currently you don't even manage to capture an outpost, that doesn't vaporiize your assets there once it got captured by someone else.

T1 buildigns are vapo-ware. a single heavymech exploding next to your powergrid disables the whole base until its out of reinforce mode, unless you leave enough room for replacement nodes.
Terraforming a 1-tile wall around won't help you either, since that got removed.

there is no real reason why it should be expensive, or take longer to build then it takes to destroy it.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You lack the practical experience with leading a corporation and/or alliance, and building Gamma islands to talk to Jita or Ville on the same level.

It's nice that you have an opinion on everything, unfortunately without practical experience it's worth about as much the paper it's written on.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Anni I agree that's a problem but that's an issue with power projection and not gamma mechanics

I cant make a new corporation, because I got this error message with all names: "The name has been taken."

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I just want to point out the energy well system is very very annoying.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

With another changes, the beacon terraforming is doable I think. Or I dont see any big problems with that, if we will have painted terraform zones, and degradable terraforms.

Maybe in one time we will get back that.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Ville wrote:

I just want to point out the energy well system is very very annoying.

why?

A couple of questions with this -

Roughly how often do you need to move energy wells?

If your energy wells run out does the base shut down or just stop producing energy?

If your energy wells shut down and you run out do you still have reinforce timers or are your structures vulnerable?

My std energy wells lasted about 4 days with a defense base setup.

stand alone production base looks like 6 days.

if your base runs out of energy things that require power like auras, boosters, facilities, run your reactor dry and the only energy you have is what's stored in turrets. 

What I see happening is huge stocks of cryoperine being shipped to gamma, everyday its fed into the reactors and the mining wells are used as "backup power".

afk bases are a thing of the past...

Ville wrote:

My std energy wells lasted about 4 days with a defense base setup.

stand alone production base looks like 6 days.

if your base runs out of energy things that require power like auras, boosters, facilities, run your reactor dry and the only energy you have is what's stored in turrets. 

What I see happening is huge stocks of cryoperine being shipped to gamma, everyday its fed into the reactors and the mining wells are used as "backup power".

afk bases are a thing of the past...

I'm just trying to think how it would work setting up afk caretaker bases cap out islands you don't want.

So basically its possible to fill up your energy batteries and network and provided you don't have anything on a base that uses power until your attacked you should be fine.

So an island denial base would basically involve building a defence base and then switching off anything that uses active power when not engaged such as base facilities or booster nodes. Your base would then use no power and be active until it was attacked in which case theoretically it will defend itself (albeit without boosters) until someone logs in their alt sparks to the right place and switched the boosters on.

I guess what would be important to prevent this from happening is to balance correctly the energy usage of facilities and defences. IMO defences should require active power to keep active even when not engaging and base facilities would require comparatively little. I would balance down the base facility and base booster node energy consumption and add a passive energy consumption to turrets. This would truly prevent AFK gamma bases.

Your can't make an afk base period.

I would go into great lengths how to cripple an afk base, but that would require me telling you what took me 30 seconds to use as a work around.

Can you leave the pithy one liners for general chat.

if you switch off all the energy draining equipment like boosters and ewar turrets and are left with a base, repair nodes and damage turrets then batteries should have plenty of charge in them to keep that active long enough to switch the base back on. The only energy used would be in shooting at someone.

Tonnik wrote:

Can you leave the pithy one liners for general chat.

if you switch off all the energy draining equipment like boosters and ewar turrets and are left with a base, repair nodes and damage turrets then batteries should have plenty of charge in them to keep that active long enough to switch the base back on. The only energy used would be in shooting at someone.

yep, and when you consider the increased energy consumption of your turrets (by two factors) and the fact that you would need to work with unboosted ones, that someone could drain empty without creating an alarm, not only with ewar turrets.

the thing i have not yet figured out, is if energy wells continue to exploit the deposit in case the energy is not necessary. I have seen that their energy output droping relative to the number of tiles with ore in their reach.

ontop of that, the energy deposits are relatively RARE, as seen in zooms earlier pictures. just like with artifacts, it can happen that they concentrate all in one corner of the island, the one far away of from your base. a roaming sequer with plasmabombs can ruin your power supply.

funny enough - an energy well produces 100AP/s max... an afk tyrannos can push 50AP/s into your reactor, forever

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

If I hadn't tested it extensively I wouldn't mind sharing.  But if your thinking that 750 M turrets will save you, then I got a tyramos you need to meet smile

I wonder how many long range heavies does it take to outpace a single repair node. Given that you can add five are we talking fleets of 30+?

Nope.

Annihilator wrote:

the thing i have not yet figured out, is if energy wells continue to exploit the deposit in case the energy is not necessary. I have seen that their energy output droping relative to the number of tiles with ore in their reach.

As the first post says, "Energy wells stop exploiting energy if all the reactors in the network are full, in order to not waste it."

The reactors give you a timeline, you should only be cutting the well to ON, when your 100% out of blocks, cryoperine, etc..  I've moved the well 3 times on the test server, requires a Symbiont, and a Lithus walking around the island.  That's annoying in itself.

I'll have to log on when I get from work to check but when I last visited battery bandwidth was crazy low.

Perceptor wrote:

I wonder how many long range heavies does it take to outpace a single repair node. Given that you can add five are we talking fleets of 30+?

Unless the structure also has armor resist booster running it's very easy. Two long range Seths were able to out-damage a T1 repper easily.

Burial wrote:
Perceptor wrote:

Unless the structure also has armor resist booster running it's very easy. Two long range Seths were able to out-damage a T1 repper easily.

there is your experienced gamma player.
a T3 turret has only 5 incomming connections, means you can only add 4 repair nodes. T1 only has 3 such conncetions, you you are talking about max 2 repair nodes on one turret.
and then, this turret consumes more energy energy per 30 seconds then a t1 energy node could provide, if its connected to multiple turrets with the same drain.

the thing most of you probably missed, is the reduction of T1 battery OUTGOING connections from 5 to 2.

the other thing some here still missing - upon a gamma vets demand, turrets do not stop shooting when their LoS is blocked by plants. so you can hide behind plants and stuff until the turrets ran out of accumulator. I think they don't even stop when you hide behind indestructible stuff.

After building  a realistic base, I have come to the conclusion of a few things.

1.  You guys did an excellent job balancing energy. 

2.  Dps turrets are well balanced.
-  if I have a std terminal I'm still able to put up a respectable amount of high tech boosters and turrets.
-  As you spend more cash for higher terminals more robust defenses are capable of being built.
-  DPS of turrets is tanking and manageable by a group of guys.  Doing repairs and transfer of energy.

3.  Bases take time to build and planning is needed.

4.  Terraforming is manageable, for now.

5.  I'm excited to see the changes.

Good Work guys.

See, the sad thing is that I don't know anymore whether that's sarcasm or not smile

I think he's probably sincere but what should really bake your brain is wondering if he's sincere because its too his advantage or not :-)

It's going to be good.

575 (edited by Celebro 2014-08-28 22:05:30)

The mechanics are good as long as it favours the ones that puts more thought and creativity, that's the whole point.

It could well benefit the defender or attacker. It won't be possible to be perfectly balanced but I think it would be best the defender to get the the advantage.

RIP PERPETUUM