Re: Gamma revamp testing

me too not possible to terraform on gamma testing ^^

i cannot even log in... PTS seems to be down

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

i cannot even log in... PTS seems to be down

It's down for me too.

RIP PERPETUUM

PTS is back up with a patch that fixed
-MPC Turrets shooting at everyone,
- Terraforming. the new interface is in
- new visual for highway connection on MPC planning interface
- additional TEST-Server only visualisation of NPC-Aggro.

Broken: the map data sent by the server is faulty, you have to explore the map to get rid of display errors,
also, all wall tiles around my terminal are gone.

can'T wait for zooms official notes

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Just delete your layers.gbf file and that should fix it all. I'll post an update soon.

481 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-15 20:55:53)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Just delete your layers.gbf file and that should fix it all. I'll post an update soon.

i did write, "the map data sent by the server is faulty"

deleting that file, dowloading 250MB, and still, the worldmap looks as strange as before.

oh, and you forgot to seed gamma markets with the new geoscanner ammo for energy source, the new energy-field wall gates, and what else i have not noticed smile

only the terraforming charges are availiable

Thanks! The map is known, it will get fixed, if you walk there it will refresh itself.
Market seeded.

483 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-16 01:31:33)

just in advance... the gates look ugly. and why are they not mpc structures but deployables ? 150U per gate also seems excessive.

*edit: my base has no footprint anymore. i can drive through all buildings, there is no concrete and the slope display doesnt show any "red".

484 (edited by Burial 2014-08-17 14:26:53)

The main idea for Gamma 2.0 was to make islands more open but that inherently made all the bases less resistant to siege. The turrets are nerfed to trash-level which makes the matters even worse. Current estimates put the price of a Hi-tech base somewhere around 8 billion NIC which is unjustifiable if majority of it can be destroyed within 3 days by 2 blitzkrieg-type assaults.

Structures need to inherit reinforcement timer quantity from their parent terminal. If a Hi-tech terminal has 5 timers, then all of the structures connected to it would also have 5 timers. With the current mechanics, it's game over for the base and NIC invested if the first timer is lost and everything around the main terminal gets destroyed regardless of how many additional timers the terminal itself has. Placing the faith of billions of NIC on one timer fight is insane. Should people be nervous on holidays thinking their base would be ganked by the time they return? If you make something too exhausting or nerve-wrecking, people will choose not to participate.

Blitzkrieging bases was also a big problem with Gamma 1.0 but was mitigated by the sheer amount of shooting required to break the layered defenses.

If you use my advice, Gamma bases get some extra security, stability and fun fights over terminals. Less risk translates to more people inhabiting Gammas and more content. It wouldn't go against the 2.0 mandate. Islands would still be open and roamable, turrets still deactivatable, but bases themselves sturdier needing more time and commitment to siege. The risk vs reward right now is beyond insane and needs to be looked at.

Several things i noticed:

Gates

are ugly and obviously incomplete implemented. at least i haven't found where to set access levels. They should be mpc buildings that can be placed on beta islands.

Walls

like gates, should be simplyfied mpc buildings that can be placed on beta too. using the new code from highway nodes to automatically build closed walls between two nodes that regenerate over time, so you can shoot a hole into them that will close within half an hour.  The nodes are 1x1 but sourrounding themselfs with at least 1 layer of wall tiles.

Plant damage mitigation

next itteration, still far from perfect. For some reason, its not working for walls, but only on regular plants, and there it will only mitigate insignificantly into 4 directions (N,W,E,S).
For this to be used on wall tiles, the damage needs to be mitigated further and in all 8 directions and also mitigate through several tiles until the damage is not enough to overcome the resists.

Burial wrote:

The main idea for Gamma 2.0 was to make islands more open but that inherently made all the bases less resistant to siege. The turrets are nerfed to trash-level which makes the matters even worse. Current estimates put the price of a Hi-tech base somewhere around 8 billion NIC which is unjustifiable if majority of it can be destroyed within 3 days by 2 blitzkrieg-type assaults.

Structures need to inherit reinforcement timer quantity from their parent terminal. If a Hi-tech terminal has 5 timers, then all of the structures connected to it would also have 5 timers. With the current mechanics, it's game over for the base and NIC invested if the first timer is lost and everything around the main terminal gets destroyed regardless of how many additional timers the terminal itself has. Placing the faith of billions of NIC on one timer fight is insane. Should people be nervous on holidays thinking their base would be ganked by the time they return? If you make something too exhausting or nerve-wrecking, people will choose not to participate.

Blitzkrieging bases was also a big problem with Gamma 1.0 but was mitigated by the sheer amount of shooting required to break the layered defenses.

If you use my advice, Gamma bases get some extra security, stability and fun fights over terminals. Less risk translates to more people inhabiting Gammas and more content. It wouldn't go against the 2.0 mandate. Islands would still be open and roamable, turrets still deactivatable, but bases themselves sturdier needing more time and commitment to siege. The risk vs reward right now is beyond insane and needs to be looked at.

make everything range on the base and players will never kill it.  0 offensive cover.  No way to attack it.

I do not like the fact that Forcefield gate are 250 U.  Could we get that dropped to like 80 or 100?

Crusader wrote:

I do not like the fact that Forcefield gate are 250 U.  Could we get that dropped to like 80 or 100?

No, it's not meant to use for siege cover.

Oh?  You could use it for that, I was referring in general to base defense seems too large.

Also the gates were 3 shot by a heavy mech, is this intended?

Did the test server just go down?

I mean yeah, it can be used for that, but the reason for its size is that you should not have that too easy. (Mind you, turrets can attack it.)

Crusader wrote:

Did the test server just go down?

seems so

Additional gamma zones are being put in.

494 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-19 20:29:45)

i could give some feedback about the energy well towers, but first i would like to read the updated topic post here to see whats actually intended.

btw, there is no need for 6 beta and 6 alpha islands on PTS if we shall test gamma. you just need one of each. Just if you think about how to free the PTS from a stuff that makes its HDD crash wink

Deleting layers.gbf to fix the map should now work for real.

imo the Gates have too little health, and I don't like the 250 U.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Also, I noticed you have some teleport setups on the Test server.  I would like to ask can you connect Betas, to atleast 2 gammas each?  Like you have to Kent, to two different ones, but Hokko only to one.

A small QOL, can Construction modules actually be cap stable running 5 of them at one time?

Ville wrote:

Also, I noticed you have some teleport setups on the Test server.  I would like to ask can you connect Betas, to atleast 2 gammas each?  Like you have to Kent, to two different ones, but Hokko only to one.

Any particular reason for that? Chalydor can be easily reached back and forth from NV using the permanent mobile teleport, and all gammas from there.

I am talking about on the live server when Gamma is released for mobility purposes.