Topic: Map Glitch Causing Attalica Island To Be Unplayable

This originally occurred on Daoden island, with the original game install that I had been using since closed-beta through Early Access launch day. When I had originally noticed it occurring, it was only noticeable when arriving at the Daoden island specifically and the other islands had no noticeable map glitches or graphic artifacts. Re-logging in place had no effect. I reinstalled the game fresh, but am now noticing the same map bug on another island.

The problem can be summarized as being that the area immediately surrounding the points between the Attalica ICS Alpha Terminal and the New Brandenburg Station teleport are unnaturally surrounded by a four walls, in the dimension of a rectangle and their height extending beyond my field of view. The map has changed with these vertices displacing the normal topography, resulting in the only available exits being either the terminal or teleport itself. Once inside the terminal, the bot being piloted is displayed as being at a uncharacteristically steep angle, which is persistent as you pivot the robot's wire-mesh. Outside, there is no sky or horizon visible, as walls of rock surround, at a 90 degree angle vertically, thus caging accessibility. On the radar screen, this odd rectangular prison is distinguished by a television static-like exterior, with silhouettes slightly visible of the geography's previous contours.

Pics:

http://glowingwind.net/bugreports/bugged1-edit.jpg

http://glowingwind.net/bugreports/bugged2-edit.jpg

http://glowingwind.net/bugreports/bugged3-edit.jpg

The result is reproducible, when logged into my industry-alt, on my other account, but hasn't been reproducible on another computer. The workstation this game is running on has recently tested stable for 48 hours, using Memtest86+ and Prime95. Here is a dxdiag export, to assist troubleshooting:

http://glowingwind.net/bugreports/Wooki … DxDiag.txt

Spooky...

Glow

Re: Map Glitch Causing Attalica Island To Be Unplayable

This is probably the most reported bug that we still couldn't get a hold of unfortunately hmm
The only solution to it is to delete the perpetuum.gbf file and let the client download it again.

Doh.

I have had this exact thing happen 2x today.  Not sure if this helps but it only affected one of my accounts, on my other accounts the graphics were fine and the only solution was to delete the gbf and reinstall it.

Overdog wrote:

I have had this exact thing happen 2x today.  Not sure if this helps but it only affected one of my accounts, on my other accounts the graphics were fine and the only solution was to delete the gbf and reinstall it.

I've heard reports that it's account based and not client based but that's doesn't fit with the bug or the solution very well.

Are both accounts using the same gbf file? It seems to be something to do with a crash. Did you crash before the corruption happened?

The Game

Alexander wrote:

I've heard reports that it's account based and not client based but that's doesn't fit with the bug or the solution very well.

I had both accounts running the same client, at the same time and both were having the same problem, in the same zone. Perhaps there is more than one cause, spurious correlation, etc...

Glow

Workaround:
-delete the .gbf file.
-let the client download a fresh one
-copy the fresh one somewhere (a new folder for example)
-next time the corruption occurs simply write over the current/corrupted .gbf file with the safe version saving some download time.

We apologise, but this is a tricky one... roll

One more: NEVER run two clients from the same folder!

8 (edited by XrayIT 2010-11-24 15:37:40)

DEV Crm wrote:

One more: NEVER run two clients from the same folder!

I was not aware of this point.
I'll make a try to see the difference.

9 (edited by Overdog 2010-11-24 14:50:33)

Response to Alexander:  I never had it crash and it always seemed to happen when I either entered or exited a terminal or a teleporter.  And yes both accounts were using the same client.

Response to Crm: The first time it happened I was opening up my Map in a terminal I noticed the issue then when I exited the terminal then it was really bad.

The second time happened when I taking a teleporter from one island to another.  It gave me an error message (something like missing file) that went away before I could document it and instead of transporting me to the island I was in a pseudo terminal that looked like a ghost of one and I couldnt access any buttons.  At this point I reinstalled and when I cam back it was where I was supposed to be.

Thanks for the feedback and Crm your suggestions are good ones and I will implement them.