Re: Bring back police towers

what are these police towers??

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

Xadhoom wrote:

what are these police towers??

The islands at one time during closed beta were not 100% safe. You only had safe areas under police towers. If someone had a specific aggression flag and entered these safe areas the police towers would shoot and kill the aggressors.

They had issues and were removed and alpha was made 100% safe.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Also, I would not be limiting their game to 3 or 9 islands. If they choose to not use the other islands that is their choice. They would only be limiting themselves.

As we all know from the EvE analogy the thriving player base plays in hi sec, so unless you are signed up to the Syndic 'lets kill the game mantra' then both you and I know that you need to provide a lot of safe PvE content to get the player base up

Those people then wander into less safe space after a while, not all the time but if you have enough of them then a noticeable amount

The only thing that is important to this game at the moment is to increase the player base and whether you and your overlords like it or want to stop it, the fact is that the Devs need to expand the PvE element of this game.

Police towers wont do that, dynamic and interesting PvE content will

As such I guffaw at your suggestion, focus on the immediate problems and not ideas that will give your slavering pvpers more easy targets and entertain just yourselves

54 (edited by Gremrod 2014-08-15 20:29:28)

Jelan wrote:

focus on the immediate problems

I agree. My island ideas in no way meant that it needed to be done NOW or before any content patches etc. These are just ideas.

I would like to point out the other two islands posts would bring content. wink

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Jelan wrote:

As we all know from the EvE analogy the thriving player base plays in hi sec, so unless [nonsensical hyperbolic gibberish about specific player intentions], you need to provide a lot of safe PvE content to get the player base up

Those people then wander into less safe space after a while, not all the time but if you have enough of them then a noticeable amount

The only thing that is important to this game at the moment is to increase the player base and [nonsensical hyperbolic gibberish about specific player intentions], the fact is that the Devs need to expand the PvE element of this game.

Police towers wont do that, dynamic and interesting PvE content will

As such I guffaw at your suggestion, focus on the immediate problems and not ideas that will [nonsensical hyperbolic gibberish about specific player intentions]

After applying my Jelan-Filter Technology to weed out the irrelevant, I conclude that his opinion on Development Priorities is more/less correct.

My understanding is that the Idea is to create "Unsafe Zones" in Alpha but to "protect" players in Alpha with Police Towers. This game needs to promote population growth of PVEers in Alpha, not discourage it, which is exactly what the Unsafe Zones would do.

Now if the idea is to add these Towers to Beta, that's a different story as it may be an incentive to get the carebears out there. But I won't hold my breath.

Either way, it's hardly as important as developing PVE content and no where near as important as creating more islands.

Sparking to other games

content not only needs to be added, it also needs to be streamlined.
you wont get carebears out into beta and PvP, when PvE is 100% safe (and needst to be that way).
and i mean that on the loss of robots should be common AND acceptable

those are balancing and mechanic changes that would affect both sides.
Police towers would soften the transition between PvP safe and dangerous zones. their re-implementaion would come after fixing the previous issues.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

content not only needs to be added, it also needs to be streamlined.
you wont get carebears out into beta and PvP, when PvE is 100% safe (and needst to be that way).
and i mean that on the loss of robots should be common AND acceptable

those are balancing and mechanic changes that would affect both sides.
Police towers would soften the transition between PvP safe and dangerous zones. their re-implementaion would come after fixing the previous issues.

You can't have robot loss be "common" in PvE until the production isn't ridiculous.  The simple question they need to ask is "How long will it take a SOLO player with ONE account to replace their loss if they fail attempting X spawn/mission?"  When the answer is multiple times longer than what they gain by doing X the balance is wrong.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

i didnt expand on the details because it would be to much off-topic. but thats basicly what i have written there.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear