Topic: Sandbox?

Why were beacon pits removed as well as removing the usefulness of plasma bombing npcs? I didn't know this went on before I joined this community. To me from what I have heard and read through old topics it sounds like this is becoming less of a sandbox. Mechanics may not have been expected to be used like this BUT it was part of the sandbox and should have been left alone. Everyone should have been left alone to play the game the way they wanted to play it.

Re: Sandbox?

The devs decide what is part of the sandbox. From you post you have no idea what a sandbox is. I will only tell you a sandbox is not a way to print NIC 10 times faster than intended.

RIP PERPETUUM

Honestly a sandbox is what the players make it.  The devs just give tools.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

4 (edited by Celebro 2014-08-12 21:32:38)

Ville wrote:

So you are saying, a sandbox game does not need balancing?

Btw they nerfed the tools

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Ville wrote:

Some changes were made to balance game mechanics but most changes were knee jerk fixes to pacify the loudest cry on the forums.

6 (edited by Gremrod 2014-08-12 21:52:36)

Aye Pod wrote:
Celebro wrote:
Ville wrote:

Some changes were made to balance game mechanics but most changes were knee jerk fixes to pacify the loudest cry on the forums.

Yes the sandbox in the school play ground has been gated for now. Some one found cat poo in it and needed to do something about it. But the quickest way to deal with it was to put up a fence for now.

Let's hope the real fix comes later after they clean up the poo.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

The reason gamma beacon pits was fixed was because you could stand on a little platform and shoot 1 or 2 npcs and watch them blow up their buddies in glorious waves of explosions, then collect the scarab load of loot. <-- needed fixing.

The reason npcs don't drop loot anymore when hit with explosion damage is because some players figured out a clever way of abusing mission mechanics to get tons and tons of tokens, then buy beacons and drop a few well timed plasma bombs and then collect the scarab mk2 full of loot. <-- kind of a patch fix to stop the ship from sinking, maybe when it reaches port there'll be a better fix.

I'm sure listening to all the vets talk about how easy it was makes you wish you could have gotten in on it. I'm sure if you get on your knees and ask papa sinny he'll gladly part with some of the vast sums of nic he gained by abusing the beacons on beta that brought about the change.

Timbob how'd you like 6 hours of beacon grinding Monday?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

It was fine. If you haven't seen me on its because I'm om the side of a mountain with little cell signal.

It's a meta-sandbox (aka gravel pit).  You have to grind the stones yourself to make the sand.

+1
-Confucius

They should have reworked reward mechanics rather than stomping out the ability of players to use in game mechanics to create content.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth