1 (edited by Burial 2014-08-11 19:05:25)

Topic: Betas

First of all, let's keep the trolling and spamming to a minimum. If you have anything to add then please do so.

The problem with Betas is that they are boring due to mechanics and hardly anything is happening on them. Once one bloc gains superiority over the other, it's beneficial and easy to capture every single outpost in the game and lock anyone else off. It's the root cause for stagnation. There's no room for two or even more blocs to co-exist. Capturing and holding stations is effortless with superior numbers and the game ends up with lots of unutilized but potential terrain that should be generating content for players.

We have examples of it scattered across the history: A year ago one bloc owned everything, others got bored and didn't play. Right now another bloc is doing the exact same thing after gaining lead over the previous. We have few other corporations living on Beta, but they're there only because the lead bloc permits it.

The same state of affairs will repeat until something is done to it. Someone will emerge and capture everything, which leads to people getting bored and stopping playing beyond what's necessary to keep the EP running.

The proof that population's decline is directly related to Betas is visible from the results of different features and patches applied to it: First hit to the population came with the walls and probes when the developers intended to make Betas safer to live on. People obviously exploited it to the fullest and we ended up with islands that became almost impossible to roam on. There was a noticable decline in PVP and population numbers. Secondly, the biggest hit came with the introduction of Gammas. Betas became obsolete and within two months of implementation, PVP was as close to death as possible. We ended up with 30-odd kills per month versus hundreds previously.

There's been small resurrections to PVP as developers added content and people returned to investigate, but it was always short lived. After the initial boom, there's still not much going on and people return to other games.

Betas are the bread-and-butter content makers in the game. Developers, you need to work on Betas if you want the game to ever reach thousands of concurrent players.

Re: Betas

If i were Zoom i'd revert all changes to beta and bring back the original beta at release. It worked as beta flourished. It was only after successive nerfs to beta than the population died.

3 (edited by Gremrod 2014-08-11 16:35:30)

I agree.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ated-7314/

While I don't specifically talk about the current betas you will get the 50k foot look etc.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Diplomacy works.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

As stated in many other threads, Beta isn't even a concern for most people who quit; only a few butt hurt vets. 

Lack of good PvE content, non-shitty missions, insane travel times on foot to and from said missions and any other activity that doesn't use a spark or TP beacon, hard coded micro fonts, amount of PvE grind required to PvP, no contracts,  are all things I've seen many complaints about both here and on the Steam forum.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Tonnik wrote:

If i were Zoom i'd revert all changes to beta and bring back the original beta at release. It worked as beta flourished. It was only after successive nerfs to beta than the population died.

thats not only because of changes to beta mechanics. extension levels and T4 equip + mk2 robots, detection/masking, capstable long-range heavy mechs, nerfed assault damage, market extensions...

those are all factors that are not directly beta related but have an impact on the situation. reverting the beta islands back to their former implementation wont change the fact that you have someone who can field fully t4 fit heavy mechs without thinking about how much that costs, against someone who can barely field a t2 fit assault and has to think about how to replace the loss afterwards.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Beta with just more rewards will just worsen the player gap problem. The best way I think is to reduce risk. Let's face it, it's not like you can 'warp out' from danger here. This game's pvp is too hardcore for most people.

RIP PERPETUUM

Tonnik wrote:

Crepitus wrote:

Lack of good PvE content, non-shitty missions, insane travel times on foot to and from said missions and any other activity that doesn't use a spark or TP beacon, hard coded micro fonts, amount of PvE grind required to PvP, no contracts,  are all things I've seen many complaints about both here and on the Steam forum.

YES