Topic: Elite: Dangerous

I just paid £50 for elite's new Beta.

Its totally worth it, best game I've ever played.

Very limited in game cooperation currently but come get involved.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Is this one of those game that they want people to think it is a MMO? It looks like X3 Rebirth with a multiplayer feature.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I am not paying £50 for a beta.

RIP PERPETUUM

OMG just SEEN a 45 Minute video tour and ..

.I have ...
.  To say

ITS TO DIE FOR !!! Its.   *** ING AMAZING!!!!:D

DROOLS

Worth $100

Jose Bianchi wrote:

Worth $100

50 pounds, cutting it close lol

paid expansions... fuel consumption.... hmm.... maybe something to watch but I'm definitely skeptical.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

No, it's not a mmo. Or it is. Kind of. See, the thing is you can play it single, or I believe that play only with people you want, or you can block people so that they don't enter the same dynamic instance you are in, and if everyone in your instance has them blocked in most cases they get moved to a different instance. What I call instances is an on the fly thing they create so that there's not millions of ships at the same place, which would be awesome but uplayable over internet due to the control mechanism. So you have a sort of bubble around you, and when you meet other people it puts you (or them) in a sort of an instance.

I've been following it quite a bit as it brings very fond memories of the original. They are taking mostly the right steps and not doing another X3: stillbirth, and making an entertaining game with a long run. There's pleeenty of vids of alpha (and I guess beta) so they aren't hiding anything under EULAs like X3. Most impressive is that they've been keeping up with the milestone dates, and they actually DO listen and change their minds based on logic and not whines while still keeping what they want to do.

You'll see me there.

it least it looks more like something that can work then that other overhyped space flight sim that shall have everything but no pay to win wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Crepitus wrote:

paid expansions... fuel consumption.... hmm.... maybe something to watch but I'm definitely skeptical.

Think of it this way: the time is has taken Perp to kind of maybe get paintjobs real soon now(tm), these guys have made a complete modern game, with spaceships, explosions... and paintjobs.

Thanks for the info Bandwagon

BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

Think of it this way: the time is has taken Perp to kind of maybe get paintjobs real soon now(tm), these guys have made a complete modern game, with spaceships, explosions... and paintjobs.

am i the only one that thinks there is a huge difference making a space game and ground based game when it comes to coding the enviroment?
I have to admit, i saw a game studio even fail at making big enough space bubbles to allow consensual pvp (Black prophecy), but i don't think that the norm.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:
BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

am i the only one that thinks there is a huge difference making a space game and ground based game when it comes to coding the enviroment?
I have to admit, i saw a game studio even fail at making big enough space bubbles to allow consensual pvp (Black prophecy), but i don't think that the norm.

Well... I'm not a programmer, but you would have account for things moving on an extra axis in a space game.   IDK

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

well, when you compare real 3D space with the 2.5D raster based system in perp... i think space is less complicated (you don't have to navigate around plants wink)

i want

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Warning. Overly overly basic simplifications ahead:

Terrain as its currently done is pretty easy (ok, for people who do this stuff smile ). For the interesting terrain you have to look at engines which do overhangs and caves as other than 3d meshes anchored to what usually is a pretty 2d heightmap... last time I checked none of the big name engines support anything interesting, and none of the mainstream tools do either (such as mudbox). Even TIN support tends to boil down to 2D. Escaping that 2D is what makes rendering ground hard. Normally terrain is easily tileable these days. Big tiles made of small tiles, with a very defined and limited dimension range. Things tend to move in your "tile" or its neighbors.

Space depends. Depends because it can be humongously big compared to terrain, or as "small". If you try to just use huge coordinates for stuff you quickly find out the way numbers are processed by the PCs just don't work due to, very roughly speaking, rounding. The bigger the number, the bigger the rounding it does. Or it can't go small enough to use the same coordinates for everything and still be able to model movement speeds. And tiling something humongous isn't as easy as tiling terrain in an optimal way.

Ground games and fps and stuff like that also tend to use a lot of shortcuts for calculating collisions, because since everything basically moves on a 2d plane its easy to do quick tests and then refine for things like jumps or elevation. On 3d both collision detection and specially handling on a proper physics engine tends to be nastier. You can use proxy objects like spheres to do some quick tests, yes, but the movement is not basically constricted to the plane so you have a bit more trouble since you have to integrate arbitrary physics based movement and collision handling.

Oculus Rift DK2 and Elite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj1hFkc3Q68

17 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-08-13 22:42:16)

I used to have one of those HOTAS sad

but hot damn that looks cool as hell. I would also get the voice command app that you can setup & use to control your ship.

But i think i jized my pants watching this smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

but hot damn that looks cool as hell. I would also get the voice command app that you can setup & use to control your ship.

Plug in second keyboard, get wife/kid to play copilot.

I'm in, annoyingly just missed the delivery man with my Saitek x52 pro goddamit!  Gotta wait til Monday now fuuu fuuu

20 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-08-16 10:15:26)

now all u need is a oculas smile

Does the Saitek x52 joystick have that "twist" function rudder control ?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

The x52 joystick twists.

Btw you most likely want to stick additional magnets to the sides of the existing ones inside (or replace the ones that are inside for stronger ones if you manage to find them). Otherwise the joystick may feel too loose as the sensibility near the center isn't too good (and that's being generous) in the plain x52. The pro might also benefit from something similar.

Oculus consumer product is rumoured to be released next year...  That's the end of the real world for me lol

i wonder, is a force-feedback VR glove already in the works to complete the package?

occulus rift, that VR station where you can "walk" and... well, its missing gloves or a whole suit for the experience.

My brother had a VFX-1  two centuries ago with a crazy resolution of 263x230. playing Descent or Duke Nukem 3D with it.

Nice little detail is when you move your joystick it animates it in game

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

Nice little detail is when you move your joystick it animates it in game

i wonder if you can deactivate that nodding figure... distracts a bit.