26 (edited by Norrdec 2014-07-31 14:00:34)

Re: Low player retention: Solutions

Depends what you mean when saying 'an island'. Just creating the island is procedural. Buildings, ores and teleports etc. are manual.

/edit actually, nowadays ores are probably are also automatic and random. Can you have a field in a unreachable place?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Depends what you mean when saying 'an island'. Just creating the island is procedural. Buildings, ores and teleports etc. are manual.

/edit actually, nowadays ores are probably are also automatic and random. Can you have a field in a unreachable place?

Massive red NPC spawns wink

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I found the post from Zoom, quote below:

DEV Zoom wrote:

Yes, we can create the TERRAIN quite efficiently. But that's like 5% of the content that makes up a playable island. It needs terminals and outposts, highways, NPC spawns laid out, artifact configurations, at least some minimal decoration, and so on. We're looking easily at 3-4 weeks for an island and then we're not doing anything else.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Yep, that's a *** of things to place.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

tbh dont even put npcs on an island you make. They are worthless to hunt

I can say yes Celebro very good suggestions.
I really hope that devs will listen one day.

The one thing this game has that I have not seen in any other games is the concept of beacons. The DEVS should make more use of them, you could have combat mission beacons, Indy mission beacons, storyline beacons. They could be solo and group and range in difficulty. You could get them from drops, buy them on the market etc etc.. The possibilities are endless. Could possibly solve the traveling issue as well, drop the beacon and it takes you to an instance (?) or whatever for set amount of time then transports you back..

Lots of things are possible..

the concept of the beacons already exists in other games.
in firefall its called "Thumper" wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

the concept of the beacons already exists in other games.
in firefall its called "Thumper" wink

A beacon can teleport you somewhere, thumpers don't.

He's talking about a distress npc beacon.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

And reading through your OP, I thought you meant distress beacon too.

Celebro wrote:

This is one the the biggest issues since game's release in 2010. For that reason this has to become a priority after Gamma islands are released again. No point now in dropping the gamma improvements though, its still (I would assume) too far ahead in development to just cancel.

Therefore in order of priorities , what need to be fixed next:

Travel times:  This has always been the number one issue with new and old players, the whole map network needs to be reworked. It's all well and good to create distances in game worlds but as pointed out before PVE/Missions needs to be more casual friendly, the idea is in 1 hour of game play , players needs to be satisfied with what they have accomplished.

Travel Time Issue has at least 2 components. And both are broken. One is too slow and one is too fast.

Travel from Island to Island.
It's too easy with sparks and IZ making the world seem small and dominating pvp group to monopolize islands and resources.

Travel within one Island
This is where the "slow travel time" issue exists, especially with regard to missions. Any repetitive process that forces player to go from one side of map to the other is mind numbingly boring.

Both hurt retention. One makes life on one island boring with the constant back and forth. The other makes its almost impossible to grow outside Alpha as you hit the brick wall of domination

But whose reading this anyway...

Sparking to other games

teleport beacons = heart stone, town portal, etc....
nothing special either. more or less many games do it without an item necessary in one or another way.

though, i agree - it would be fun if distress beacons would allow you to use the "teleport vortex" that opens to send the cannonfodder troops through, regardles of the "iris" beeing open or not.

once through you get to an NPC fortress with that dead-end teleporter big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Cassius wrote:

I think one of the largest factors that has killed this game is the toxic enviroment that is allowed to prevade the forums and the in game chats. people push their own agendas and deliberately flaunt the rules

Says a flagship member of the ticket brigade...

BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Cassius wrote:

I think one of the largest factors that has killed this game is the toxic enviroment that is allowed to prevade the forums and the in game chats. people push their own agendas and deliberately flaunt the rules

Yeah coz Ville, CIR or PHM never ever spammed petitions about people lol lol

Jelan wrote:
BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Yeah coz Ville, CIR or PHM never ever spammed petitions about people lol lol

only zoom can tell, only zoom can tell...

I will give Dev Zoom 1 billion Nic for a statistical breakdown of petitions by corporation... big_smile

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

i know i have only had one reimbursement petition (that got rejected) and one petition for macroing (thats still open). Everything else is forum only.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

2 Billion. I'm serious....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

*edit: Removed quote. - DEV Zoom

Dear Player Smokeyii,

Hello!  I wish to say thank you for taking time to suggest your clearly well thought out and fantastic approach to solving the games problems in a whole.  I would like you to know I take great pleasure in knowing that YOU player Smokeyii enjoy this game so much your willing to post such fantastic feedback!  I wish to remind you player Smokeyii that I care for you.  I care for your health: Mental and Physical.  I sincerely hope you understand player Smokeyii that outbreaks of such emotions like RAGE, Bitterness, and overall discontentment with your current situation are often followed by emotions of butt hurt, sad .  Player Smokeyii, I hope you sincerely seek help for your mental health problems.  I hope deareast player Smokeyii, you, are aware that such mental health problems can lead to very TERRIBLE things.  And I, player Smokeyii, don't want those terrible things to happen to you!  Because you are a fantastic person!  You, Player Smokeyii, are Special.  Special in a way that all snowflakes are.  And you, Player Smokeyii, have great potential!  You must harness that Potential Player Smokeyii and overcome from the butthurtness Rage bitter discontent you have made for yourself and rise above that!  You must be better Player Smokeyii!  You must achieve something, because their is hope and as long as there is a Hershfield Terminal there will be a place for you, Player Smokeyii, in an environment where you can not achieve harm to yourself.  No mean pvpers coming by and taking your station.  No mean guy named Syndic showing up and ruining YOUR game play experience.  Might I interest you player Smokeyii in Artifact scanning?  On Ancient Hershfield player Smokeyii, the secret race of nians left remnants of their culture scattered across the plains.  You must muster all your fortitude as you chase various hidden treasures across the island of Hershfield!!  If that seems too complicated maybe Player Smokeyii, mining is more your forte?   Jump into vastly skilled industrial robots designed to make your industrial empire within reach, meet the Argano Player Smokeyii.  The Argano is the gateway to your mining empire!  For with it you can conquer many a fields of precious raw ore.  Maybe your a marketeer!  Master the art of selling alpha minerals while purchasing epriton to build your arsenal of 300 MK1 Mechs!!!  In Hershfield player Smokeyii, you can achieve ANYTHING!  The bar is set at the sky and only you can attain it!  Best of luck player smokeyii!  Be safe! o/

46 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2014-09-05 18:44:19)

Shadowmine wrote:

I will give Dev Zoom 1 billion Nic for a statistical breakdown of petitions by corporation... big_smile

Shadowmine wrote:

+9001

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

BeastmodeGuNs wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

Shadowmine wrote:

+9001

just wont happen.

remember the last time they put up a name&shame blog.

Well that was something vs one corp. I'd be happy for every petition joke made to be public personally.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Did I tell you guys.....

ready......

ready...............

" I SAW NEW PEOPLE!!!!!!........."

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

yeah, I seen them too.