Re: Stop wasting resources and time on gamma

Well I do admire your optimism. On a positive side there really isn't anything for players to quit with no sub etc, so maybe if things pick up and it looks to be going places things could always turn around, I hope it does, for now I'm off to enjoy the buzz of something happening like Elite D.

Maybe the guys are out finding a backer, can only hope.

Amassing wealth in a sandbox is always a good thing.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

28 (edited by Smokeyii 2014-07-29 02:40:16)

RedKGB wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

You wouldn't be so hard up for content if you showed at least the smallest amount of respect for other people. But it's okie dokie! Keep *** on everyone you can to get your jollys off then complain on the forums about why you have no more people to *** on for jollys... viscous cycle and all that.

Meanwhile, I'm having tons of fun in games that don't suck!

So the DEVs inability to talk with players, post blogs, provide patches is all Syndic faults couse he pvps and does not play the game your way..... lol, your a damn ***.

No, the dev's inability to do what you say they have the inability to do is all on them. The fact of the matter is, that there'd be no reason for this topic if some people took a little of the advice I gave them in my original post, and it really makes me laugh when certain people post about how the sand is what you make of it, then get on the forums and beg the devs to put more sand in so they can kick it in the other kids eyes.

And to top it off there'd be plenty of content to be had should your leader choose to have it. All it would take is 3 button clicks and a slider moved to the left.

Smokeyii wrote:
RedKGB wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

You wouldn't be so hard up for content if you showed at least the smallest amount of respect for other people. But it's okie dokie! Keep *** on everyone you can to get your jollys off then complain on the forums about why you have no more people to *** on for jollys... viscous cycle and all that.

Meanwhile, I'm having tons of fun in games that don't suck!

So the DEVs inability to talk with players, post blogs, provide patches is all Syndic faults couse he pvps and does not play the game your way..... lol, your a damn ***.

No, the dev's inability to do what you say they have the inability to do is all on them. The fact of the matter is, that there'd be no reason for this topic if some people took a little of the advice I gave them in my original post, and it really makes me laugh when certain people post about how the sand is what you make of it, then get on the forums and beg the devs to put more sand in so they can kick it in the other kids eyes.

And to top it off there'd be plenty of content to be had should your leader choose to have it. All it would take is 3 button clicks and a slider moved to the left.

All I got from both of your posts were:

Syndic is an a$$****.

Youre ruining the game.

This game sucks anyway.

Hard for anyone to find any advice in that m8.

Nah sorry smokey, we're gonna keep shooting you in the face to the day you quit and go play firefall.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Smokeyii wrote:

but they can't do that. it would not beneficial for those "friends" to fight each other, since it would automatically mean one of them would then meant to lose fights. They would not be equal anymore.
They would need to use their metagaming against each other, and that would make them not beeing friends anymore.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

but they can't do that. it would not beneficial for those "friends" to fight each other, since it would automatically mean one of them would then meant to lose fights. They would not be equal anymore.
They would need to use their metagaming against each other, and that would make them not beeing friends anymore.

Did your JOKE app get denied? sad

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

little money is a bad job. topic is closed

Just @ Game

Now, I must say Im pretty new here, but NO to Gamma islands seems like a deathsentence to this game. Thats the only true sandbox feature in it.

The reason I gave this game the finger in the first place as a closed beta tester back in the days is because I discovered the beta islands had only fixed stations. I felt robbed as so many other promising "we are gonna be a sandbox game" games back in those days. They *BEEP*ed it up closer to release, worst game ever to do it was Dark Fall. 7 years later in their production, just before release, there was only a skillbased system left, no sandbox what so ever.

Im not saying this game couldnt use some more content in other areas, but without the only thing actually making this game a sandbox game, its over, IMO.

Unfortunately because you're new, you don't have the practical experience and know-how to comprehend what the changes to gamma on the test server actually mean. I don't think there's more then 2-3 people in the whole game who comprehend it.

But looks like homeboy Anni is the only one lending his famous perpetuum expertise on the test server, which pretty much confirms my suspicions people gave up trying to point stuff out.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Unfortunately because you're new, you don't have the practical experience and know-how to comprehend what the changes to gamma on the test server actually mean. I don't think there's more then 2-3 people in the whole game who comprehend it.

But looks like homeboy Anni is the only one lending his famous perpetuum expertise on the test server, which pretty much confirms my suspicions people gave up trying to point stuff out.

I cant help if youve lost yourself in the game and lost what this game was ment to be. Maybe the devs have aswell by this point, but then we need to bring them back to what their early promise was.... sandbox.

37 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-07-29 13:40:17)

Silkdawn wrote:

Now, I must say Im pretty new here, but NO to Gamma islands seems like a deathsentence to this game. Thats the only true sandbox feature in it.

The reason I gave this game the finger in the first place as a closed beta tester back in the days is because I discovered the beta islands had only fixed stations. I felt robbed as so many other promising "we are gonna be a sandbox game" games back in those days. They *BEEP*ed it up closer to release, worst game ever to do it was Dark Fall. 7 years later in their production, just before release, there was only a skillbased system left, no sandbox what so ever.

Im not saying this game couldnt use some more content in other areas, but without the only thing actually making this game a sandbox game, its over, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think gamma should be the endgame and terraforming is a very cool feature in principle.  However, these things are hard to balance.  The first incarnation of gamma gave players the tools to lock down whole islands to the point where a full scale siege was the only way that a hostile force could get on the island.  Hopefully this version will be more balanced.

Secondly, if you want to go out and build a base once gamma is released, you are going to need a few billion NIC and people to defend your investment.  Otherwise you can just have the odd ninja terminal here or there.

EDIT: Obviously the devs are now committed to finishing the current iteration of gamma but the point is that the shortage of beta islands, the small number of teleports leading from alpha to pvp zones and the lack of connections between beta islands of different colours are things that will still need to be addressed.

+1
-Confucius

Syndic wrote:

You had an opportunity to be at the roundtable and you didn't.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Some of wanted to be;however, it was not at a suitable time.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Annihilator wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

QFT

Which is why topics like this asking the devs to help them find new content are laughable.

Could implementing some form of "Community warfare/Faction Warfare" work in the mean time as they try to figure out Gammas?  I mean create 12 smaller islands we can war over and take "control" over and wha-la.  Course with the track record that might not work out so well either.

Also from what I've heard in the forums, considering I lived on a gamma with a previous character (noobish at best) more than a year ago, that they were all very self sufficient.  I was too busy then to really exploit where I was, but is the self sufficient part true?  If it is then that's an issue.  Gamma island shouldn't be fully self sufficient, there should be a short fall of something on each island, whether one or multiple resources.  This in turn will promote/force trade and movement of other goods.  If you hem up a majority of the players on self sufficient islands then trade dies.  Say one island doesn't have HDT for example so they are forced to import it but to compensate the island has slightly more then average titian ore, and vise versa.  This will open up markets and such but also the faction warfare aspect will open up another market to replace items for the PvP players.  ( It's an idea.

To finalize it MISSIONS need a revamp of some kind, geez BORING.  I do understand the grind that come with some mission running but more than the three or four missions you get would help a lot.  OH and could you add missions where you fight waves of bots, so lights at first then a new wave spawns with harder bots and so on ( for kill missions) last time i played one that's not how it was.

Fuzz462 wrote:

Could implementing some form of "Community warfare/Faction Warfare" work in the mean time as they try to figure out Gammas?  I mean create 12 smaller islands we can war over and take "control" over and wha-la.  Course with the track record that might not work out so well either.

We've already discussed this, even mechanics were discussed, a lot of players were on board, DEVs made no comment.

Fuzz462 wrote:

Also from what I've heard in the forums, considering I lived on a gamma with a previous character (noobish at best) more than a year ago, that they were all very self sufficient.  I was too busy then to really exploit where I was, but is the self sufficient part true?  If it is then that's an issue.

It gets monotonous repeating the same things over and over and over, but every one, corp or person will do whatever it takes to be self-sufficient; if they can't they will quit.  Some are obviously willing to go further than others.

Fuzz462 wrote:

Gamma island shouldn't be fully self sufficient, there should be a short fall of something on each island, whether one or multiple resources.

The risks far outweigh the rewards on both Beta and Gamma.

Fuzz462 wrote:

This in turn will promote/force trade and movement of other goods.  If you hem up a majority of the players on self sufficient islands then trade dies.  Say one island doesn't have HDT for example so they are forced to import it but to compensate the island has slightly more then average titian ore, and vise versa.  This will open up markets and such but also the faction warfare aspect will open up another market to replace items for the PvP players.  ( It's an idea.

They already *** the game up doing this.  Because alphas aren't terribly far apart and there is no reason to actually live on Beta/Gamma all the markets have all materials albeit at slightly varied pricing.

Fuzz462 wrote:

To finalize it MISSIONS need a revamp of some kind, geez BORING.  I do understand the grind that come with some mission running but more than the three or four missions you get would help a lot.  OH and could you add missions where you fight waves of bots, so lights at first then a new wave spawns with harder bots and so on ( for kill missions) last time i played one that's not how it was.

You *REALLY* need to spend time reading before posting.  Waves of bots?  Beacons.  *** missions?  There are already 10,000,000,0000,0000,000 threads on that.  They'd rather focus on Gamma minutae than do anything anyone actually wants.  Oh, and nerf the *** out of npcs, again.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Thinking about this , if these exclusive terraforming/mpc mechanics where available on alpha in a limited way. Then it would very attractive feature to bring in for new players.

RIP PERPETUUM

Well they could do a sandbox in the tutorial area for terraforming (unless it's already there). and a bit bigger one on the alpha islands.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

WoW that a nice intellectual and mutual wankling i see here smile

Ah well, at least we'll have highways that take up bandwidth. big_smile

CIR Complaint Form

47 (edited by Motorboat 2014-08-16 06:03:32)

This is going to be a bit of an essay, as my posts usually are.  I've stopped into the forums from time to time just to check things out since I stopped playing the game, and I think this thread could use a bit of perspective from someone that hasn't been around since the nosedive began.

Not that I expect anyone to remember me, but when I played the game I used the character name Booobs.  I've posted here with my second account, in the past, as Slipfeed.

With that out of the way, I'm going to end up making some statements early on people my disagree with quite adamantly.  Even to the point of not reading the rest of the post.  Please do try to press on through what seems to be the valley, for I assure you the peak is just ahead, and all will become clear.  Or not.  Who knows.  It might end up being an elaborate fart joke.  I haven't decided yet.

For starters, i'll try to leave my personal opinions off to the side and state only facts.

The game picked up a lot of players when it launched on steam.  It also shed a large amount of content before that steam launch.  This game really doesn't have much to offer in the form of PvE.  The menu is limited to your choice of the walking simulator sandwich or the twenty piece "Grind McNuggets". You can upgrade that to a combo meal with a second indy account and a coke for just thirty three dollars extra (including the coke).

What is here is brilliant from a logical game mechanic perspective(sorry, just a bit of opinion), but from a visual standpoint it does not make par or even birdie. There are no immaculate set pieces or awe inspiring vista's with which to keep your audience coming back for more in spite of the content deficit (not opinion, I state this as fact).  This engine could indeed be made to run with little visual modification on a PentiumII from 1997.  There is also a complete lack of story developments when it comes to the larger world.  There are no "Next chapters" for us to push forward into for the purpose of finding out what happens next.

What then is left as the hook in this player fishing expedition we call the gaming industry? PvP.

Where then did the game reach it's apex of activity since the steam launch?  During the Norhoop treaty.  When did the game begin it's slide into inactivity? 

To preface this statement it is important to note that this game's pvp is less about combat and more about economics.  The corp or alliance that can continue to field assets in defense or attack of a position will hold or take that position.  The combat sequence is a nice adrenaline rush, but the battle is won or lost in an epi field.  Where EP points are a large force multiplier for this equation, stockpiles of combat assets are the primary set of constants.

With said resources firmly under the control of veteran corps who have huge stockpiles with which to defend them, players entering the game simply cannot compete on the field of pvp.  Even after months.  This was made evident during what I like to call "The Noob-pocolypse", where in Perpkill flooded for days with kill mails listing members of CIR / PHM as killers and everyone else as dead on norhoop.

Is the current state of this game then, the fault of that alliance?  No.  It is the fault of the game that creates a world where in entry is forbidden.

That being said, We can all agree that once the smoke cleared on norhoop the player base started to decline, and eventually stabilized somewhere between "Almost enough to fill a double-decker bus" and "Not even enough to qualify for the car pool lane".

The sad fact is, a corp of new players cannot possibly be expected to weather the tedium that is PvE with no goal, and cannot be expected to surmount the ever present PvP mountain that is the stockpiles of thousands of heavy bots sitting in the hangers of the older corps. Most new players during norhoop really had no idea what they would be up against when the *** hit the fan, resulting in a sense of false competitive hope. It was this hope that lead to higher player activity, and the realization that it was false that lead to the decline.

In short, the game was built with a set of mechanics.  Those mechanics have run their life cycle.  There are no desks left in the classroom of perpetuum.  Standing room only.

You cannot expect people to stand around doing nothing for too long, when they have a steam library full of games that will actually allow them to play.

You also can't expect the game to be totally rewritten with player acquisition and retention in mind.  It would no longer be perpetuum.

Gamma is not going to fix the game.  There is nothing that can do that now.  It's like darth vader with his mask off.

Have fun while it lasts gents.

Also, farts.

^

Your posts about first experiences were much more fun. This post about an unchanging future is one more in a long line of posts about Perpetuum's doom. I guess you did not quite quit some weeks back. You would hardly be the first to quit and come back, or even quit again to come back again. Despite all the flaws there is something magnetic about this game.

Regarding your theory on Asset Accumulation as the basis for sustained political/military might, you're dead wrong. Assets are necessary, but Willpower is the prime ingredient. PvP wins feed willpower and PvP loses sap it. What creates PvP wins is another topic.

The reason you have 'no place to stand' is that the island count is pathetic, and the means to be anywhere in minutes is game-breaking. Once a power establishes itself as dominant, all other fade to Alpha.

The game is broken, but not in the way you think.

Welcome back.

Sparking to other games

49 (edited by Burial 2014-08-16 17:42:12)

Motorboat, the problem is lack of content for new players not the assets or players themselves. Let's use EVE analogy: If a new corporation gets thrown against established 00 corporation, the resulting bloodshed would even put Gilles De Rais to shame. Luckily in EVE, new corporation doesn't have to do it since there's more for them to do for fun.

Let's see what future brings after Gamma. Hope dies last.

Rex Amelius wrote:

^

Your posts about first experiences were much more fun. This post about an unchanging future is one more in a long line of posts about Perpetuum's doom. I guess you did not quite quit some weeks back. You would hardly be the first to quit and come back, or even quit again to come back again. Despite all the flaws there is something magnetic about this game.

Regarding your theory on Asset Accumulation as the basis for sustained political/military might, you're dead wrong. Assets are necessary, but Willpower is the prime ingredient. PvP wins feed willpower and PvP loses sap it. What creates PvP wins is another topic.

The reason you have 'no place to stand' is that the island count is pathetic, and the means to be anywhere in minutes is game-breaking. Once a power establishes itself as dominant, all other fade to Alpha.

The game is broken, but not in the way you think.

Welcome back.

You're mistaken. 

Lurking the forums just in case there is a miracle and making a post once a month doesn't constitute a come back.  I'm not actually playing, and I don't expect to.