Re: Improved NPC AI

Nope, it's not that. We're at a loss what it could be tbh.

edit: it's the remote sensor amp.

Could you just eliminate the orange spawns altogether? All red all the time? Like the old days?

Cassius: no, there was a good reason for them. Though there are more orange spawns than it was intended, but this is due to how the npc database is set up, not really optimal. We'll probably rebuild the whole thing with the second stage of the assignment revamp.

The fix for the angry orange NPCs is out now. (On the live server - I just realized this is in the test server section.)

ya......., I Ment to post this under Bugs.  sorry.......:cool:

There is a change for NPC AI now out on the test server that you can try. Orange NPCs will now attack you if you use remote support modules within their aggro range, even if you don't agress them directly. This includes remote armor repairer, remote energy transferer, and remote sensor booster.

DEV Zoom wrote:

There is a change for NPC AI now out on the test server that you can try. Orange NPCs will now attack you if you use remote support modules within their aggro range, even if you don't agress them directly. This includes remote armor repairer, remote energy transferer, and remote sensor booster.

what about NEXUS buffs? that used to trigger their Aggro too?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

That would cause mining buff bots to be attacked.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

then exclude the two mining/harvesting only NEXUS. anything above is extra.

TBH i wouldn't stress to much into "orange" NPC mechanics as they have been stated as "temporary" fix for dynamic mineral fields spawning under static mission-NPC spawns (thank you gremrod for refreshing my memory). So sooner or later NPC will attack your miner anyway, and the aggro mechanics will be there for their FC-AI calling targets.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:
Ville wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

then exclude the two mining/harvesting only NEXUS. anything above is extra.

TBH i wouldn't stress to much into "orange" NPC mechanics as they have been stated as "temporary" fix for dynamic mineral fields spawning under static mission-NPC spawns (thank you gremrod for refreshing my memory). So sooner or later NPC will attack your miner anyway, and the aggro mechanics will be there for their FC-AI calling targets.

I hope not.  This is why artifacts/epriton that sits under red spawns on Beta stay there; not worth the hassle.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

DEV Zoom wrote:

I've sit and did some thinking on this and I have one question really.  What is this change meant to hinder?

Because I see it having some really adverse effects on players who farm NPCs.  More specifically the newer guys who have multiple accounts because they are used to EVE style sandboxes. 

We have two brand new recruits in PHM who each have 3 accounts, because they learned early that 1 solo combat could not reach its full potential.  So in order to maximize EP they purchased secondary accounts to have a buff bot(logistics) to follow them.  Where I see this change really effecting them is because they have such LOW EP their buff bots will not be able to effectively use a shield in a manner to keep the buff bot alive. 

This change will totally gimp them, why?  They don't have the Tanking approach to handle spawns.

It's not uncommon to run across alpha and see a Assault bot with a follow termis behind it RR and Energy transferring it being used to kill a spawn.

This change isn't going to effect the OLDER red npc guys who are used to having their Follow bots being focused. We will do what we always used to do.  Change our fit where our Follow bots stay far enough out of the way that the spawn does not agro them.  Park our combats at the edge of their range and farm the NPCs.

IMHO: I would suggest to keeping the NPCs the way they are now on the live server. 

4 hours of solid mob grinding on a normal spawn can yield 120,000 Plasma.  That's 325 Nic per piece so that's 39 Million for FOUR HOURS.  There is some tiered drops but that's a mixture of T2 or T3.  Some Rare T4 drops.  Kernals.  Loot averages out about 50 Million.  Which is about 12.5 Million an Hour.  Now that I think of it 12.5 Million is painful, sad .  I'd have to farm for 10 Straight hours to get my Mesmer mk2 off the market and probably another 10 hours for the fittings.  That's 20 hours of mob grinding to get 1 fitted Hmech mk2.  Work for me atm is painfully slow so I can farm most days and be around.  But for an average 2 hours a night gamer that's 2 weeks.  I think this change will effect more lower ep players.  Just my two cents.

Annihilator wrote:

So sooner or later NPC will attack your miner anyway, and the aggro mechanics will be there for their FC-AI calling targets.

Unless your on alpha 1.  Which was the stated intent to keep things all at Orange.

Ville wrote:

What is this change meant to hinder?

You can find the reasons and the rage somewhere in this or this topic.

Basically it was always meant to be like this, but the passive nature of orange NPCs has overridden this behavior.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

What is this change meant to hinder?

You can find the reasons and the rage somewhere in this or this topic.

Basically it was always meant to be like this, but the passive nature of orange NPCs has overridden this behavior.

I still say leave it as is.  A lot of this babble is about farming beacons.  Not static spawns which will be the one it effects the most.

A shame that newer players may have to start out farming lights and assaults instead of starting with mechs and heavies....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

ISEE WHAT YOU DID THER

Shadowmine wrote:

A shame that newer players may have to start out farming lights and assaults instead of starting with mechs and heavies....

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Those topics were requested to be closed after we discussed it as a community we've reached the conclusion it's fine and awesome.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I am glad this will hurt new players.

There is nothing I hate more than people enjoying a game,,

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Right, because shooting lights and assaults is so much less fun than shooting mechs or heavies.... Sounds like they are making it more difficult to sit back and macro farm npcs.... Wait, now I see why you guys are against it... smile  (see what I did there?)

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

Right, because shooting lights and assaults is so much less fun than shooting mechs or heavies.... Sounds like they are making it more difficult to sit back and macro farm npcs.... Wait, now I see why you guys are against it... smile  (see what I did there?)

How do you macro farm?

Ville wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

How do you macro farm?

Yes, could you share those macros for the well-being of the community?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:
Ville wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

How do you macro farm?

Yes, could you share those macros for the well-being of the community?

ask your corp leader, he talks about those macros all the time.

47 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-07-30 12:25:28)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Haven't had the chance to test this yet but will they agress anyone who is, for example, transferring energy to their miner in the vicinity?
Or anyone who is shooting another player in their vicinity?

+1
-Confucius

Anyone who is using those modules in the vicinity.

49 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-07-30 15:19:06)

Hmm, doesn't this kind of turn orange NPCs into guards/peacekeepers, especially on beta?

+1
-Confucius

Sort of, but I don't think that's a bad thing.