Topic: How to really help Perpetuum thrive.

1. Someone needs to give us a TV Tropes entry for one. I find like 90% of the games I play through screwing around on that site.

2. More drama. Contrary to what some people think, drama attracts people to communities. M2S using all forms of media, from videos to music, to highlight the drama that goes on in the game in an easy to understand way is a good example of the sort of thing we need corporations doing more of. Unfortunately there are a lot of carebears who do not understand this principle, and even worse, people who want to sabotage the game by trying to get rid of the drama aspect to it, using tools like draconian forum moderation.

3. Some fan made trailers would be great. Official trailers aren't the only things that bring about new subscriptions, lots of people look at what the fans of the game are doing.

4. Community forum blitzes. I don't know about you, but I try to post about Perpetuum on all the forums I go on. It never hurts to mention it in your own little corner of teh internets and how awesome it is.

Feel free to post your own ideas. The devs were pretty happy to get 150,000 subscription months out of people. As a community though, we should be aiming for a less arbitrary number, like maybe 1,000,000 (Or perhaps a goal like 1,000 people active in general chat at any given time)! The more money the devs have, the faster we get are cool new stuff, and the more members there are, the faster we'll start seeing things like new islands to explore. Its also important for the community to support the devs in this way anyways just because its you know, the right thing to do if you enjoy the game.

Re: How to really help Perpetuum thrive.

It isn't 150,000. Its 15,000. You're out by a factor of 10.

All good ideas, worth doing.

Just as a general reminder- tell your friends.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Surge wrote:

It isn't 150,000. Its 15,000. You're out by a factor of 10.

Whoops, my bad!

Hype the game up on forums. People are fed up with all the crappy MMO's that are currently out. Not enough people know about this game, and how fun it can be.

So start talking about the game on forums like MMORPG, saying how great it is, and people will come. For example, they have a forum specifically for people looking for a new MMO. I see people constantly reply to peoples threads with games like DCUO (sucks) and DarkFall (the swords and magic version of this), if we can get people to reply to those threads with PO it will help bring a few extra people.

Word of mouth helps as well. I brought 2 people into this game once I found out. So tell your friends too. Everyone 1 person you bring in has the potential to bring his/her friends as well.

Telling people about Perp is great. I'd shy away from hyping too much though. It will only lead to the following:

- 12 year old kid reads post hyping Perp. Believes it because it was on the internet.
- 12 year old kid buys Perp and plays for 2 hours. Fails to understand the game.
- 12 year old kid spends what's left of the month bashing Perp on various forums.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

How do u know they got 15000 subscription months?

Gobla wrote:

Telling people about Perp is great. I'd shy away from hyping too much though. It will only lead to the following:

- 12 year old kid reads post hyping Perp. Believes it because it was on the internet.
- 12 year old kid buys Perp and plays for 2 hours. Fails to understand the game.
- 12 year old kid spends what's left of the month bashing Perp on various forums.

Totally agree with this. I have told quite a few people about PO but with a caveat that it still has a lot of growing to do. The last thing we need right now is an influx of players expecting to level to 100 and do 'end game content'. Having been with stEVE since the beginning, I know how easy it is for certain player types to become disillusioned and *** Gobla says, this eends up with negative press.

The marketing does need to ramp up, but there are still some holes to be filled (better missions, more PvP) before really heavy marketing will have a net positive effect rather than a net negative one.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Nothing's gonna happen until the devs flesh out PVP and PVE.

10 (edited by Artem Blue 2010-12-28 16:04:44)

Yes, drama is valuable and important. However, simple relentless bragging and putdowns is not sufficient. In this game, a significant component of ones overall capability derives from seniority (EP), and it takes a special (rare) kind of person to percieve an environment of relentless bragging and putdowns with seniority giving significant advantages, and dive into it enthusiastically as a newbie.

In order to have more colorful drama, corps can take more colorful roles. RG is the most explicitly honorable corp. AXE is the corp most friendly to newcomers. M2S is the most explicitly griefer/untrustworthy corp. However, there are many others (ECORP and HUN, for example) that have bases of support (europe in general and hungary in particular), but no in-game role.

Corps might differentiate themselves by preferentially recruiting from one race (e.g. theodica pilots) or role (e.g. commodity haulers and traders, damaged-goods purchasers/repairers/recyclers, mercenaries). They could differentiate themselves by committing to a location (something like the NORHOOP alliance), or by their policy towards other corps (e.g. NRDS, or always neutral but sells to everyone, or tit-for-tat, or grim trigger).

There is closed beta, open beta, paid beta and ready-to-go. We are in paid beta. We need to attract people who understand that and can be helpful. P and stEVE (vintage 2003) have many similarities. It could be a year before P is ready-to-go. It is going to take some time to get the bugs worked out and client improved, needed changes/additions made and an economic/player base established.

Gobla wrote:

12 year old kid is worth $10, and thats why there are forum moderators and fanboys.

13 (edited by XB63A 2010-12-28 17:16:00)

postman wrote:
Gobla wrote:

12 year old kid is worth $10, and thats why there are forum moderators and fanboys.

Age isn't the issue. If someone has the wrong expectation and then a bad experience, they may be $10 in revenue but could cost much more than that if they run their mouth and convince other to stay away.

14 (edited by Savin 2010-12-28 17:39:51)

Artem Blue wrote:

In order to have more colorful drama, corps can take more colorful roles. RG is the most explicitly honorable corp. AXE is the corp most friendly to newcomers. M2S is the most explicitly griefer/untrustworthy corp. However, there are many others (ECORP and HUN, for example) that have bases of support (europe in general and hungary in particular), but no in-game role.

I think you might wish to reevaluate these descriptions a bit. How is RG the most honorable? M2S, while they tout the "bad boy" image, really haven't done anything to merit the title- and their behavior on these forums is actually pretty respectable. On the other hand, are you sure that ECORP and HUN have no roles? They seem to be active within their alliances.

Artem Blue wrote:

Corps might differentiate themselves by preferentially recruiting from one race (e.g. theodica pilots) or role (e.g. commodity haulers and traders, damaged-goods purchasers/repairers/recyclers, mercenaries). They could differentiate themselves by committing to a location (something like the NORHOOP alliance), or by their policy towards other corps (e.g. NRDS, or always neutral but sells to everyone, or tit-for-tat, or grim trigger).

I agree with this- so far, no corp stands out as unique. They all seem to be following the same lowest-common-denominator route, with no efforts at differentiation other than the puffery in their recruitment fluff.

To get back to your main point: yes, I agree that some differentiation would help- not only in attracting new players, but also in getting rid of the "EVE with bots" description.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

I think PO has the right amount of subs now, and is growing almost too fast. The game has a great baseline, but is still pretty simple. It will be quite a different game in a year or two.

It could be a mistake to take on a gigantic horde of new players before the next year of tuning and improvement takes place. If they can hang on financially, it would be better to let the game mature before getting inundated.

Only thing I want right now is for them to relocate the servers....this rubber banding lag spiking is absolutely killing me....

And where would you suggest they relocate them to?

Surge wrote:

And where would you suggest they relocate them to?

A datacenter sitting on one of the larger backbones. Probably europe.. so somewhere in the UK?

I am sure this may be cost prohibitive for the near term but long term would allow people with strong connections from one of the major peer's to get good connections across the respective ponds, countries, international space stations that we game from.

Weird I never have latency issues, Im in the US, I heard they were like somewhere weird like Italy or something, however my ping is usually aroun 70-80. Anyone care to enlighten me as to where the server are really located?

yes yes people are all ways looking for a game they can log into and get farmed...or not

Savin wrote:

I think you might wish to reevaluate these descriptions a bit. How is RG the most honorable? M2S, while they tout the "bad boy" image, really haven't done anything to merit the title- and their behavior on these forums is actually pretty respectable. On the other hand, are you sure that ECORP and HUN have no roles? They seem to be active within their alliances.

What I meant by "explicit" is that they have a particular public, advertised image. I know that the image is not the same as actions. I agree that ECORP and HUN are active, interesting corps - that's why I mentioned them at all - but they do not have as colorful public identities; the post was an attempt to get them to step up.

Artem Blue wrote:

step up.

to the streets.

Anyone seen this flick yet?

I thought about watching it one night but decided I'd keep my last shred of heterosexuality.

Opinions?

1 Word to help it get more ppl :

Steam

get it onto steam and subs will spike I'm shure of that!

cya in game soon

KaiTech wrote:

1 Word to help it get more ppl :

Steam

get it onto steam and subs will spike I'm shure of that!

cya in game soon

Truth.

25 (edited by BigCountry 2010-12-29 15:05:18)

Steam would be a great platform to sell the game.

Small download. 10 dollars.

Perfect for Steam.

You would still need to relocate the servers though to allow for better latency world wide, esp if Steam picked it up.