Re: Gamma revamp testing

well, if heavy has longer range then heavy picks off turret, if turret is longer range than heavies take fire while shooting turret.

Turret with a little more range makes sense as they are useless if not.

Gremrod wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

The (laser) turrets, even the unboosted T1's IMHO need to be able to shoot at targets with the maximumg range a single heavy mech can reach, or else they can be shot sniped down with ease.

though, i don't understand why the SENSOR booster modules grant a stack-able OPTIMUM range bonus, when heavy mechs alread need more then 4 Range extender just to get our of its base-optimum range.

I don't have a problem with them matching. They should not be able to out range heavy mechs. The only thing that should be able to out range heavy mechs would be the next size mech with arties.

Gremrod wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

The (laser) turrets, even the unboosted T1's IMHO need to be able to shoot at targets with the maximumg range a single heavy mech can reach, or else they can be shot sniped down with ease.

though, i don't understand why the SENSOR booster modules grant a stack-able OPTIMUM range bonus, when heavy mechs alread need more then 4 Range extender just to get our of its base-optimum range.

I don't have a problem with them matching. They should not be able to out range heavy mechs. The only thing that should be able to out range heavy mechs would be the next size mech with arties.

the point is that the turret should pose a threat to anything that comes at it, or its useless. There are even ways to make those long range turrets effective against heavies, but less effective against smalls or assaults. such things are implemented in any RTS game *hint*

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

303 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-26 18:06:49)

Yes this is a balance that needs to be done. But I don't think a base should be able to stand alone and win all fights without any real players there to help defend.

But this is just my thoughts.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I just want a clear idea from the devs on what mechanics we can use.  I would very much like an idea how the Dev team envisions seiges to work and what they consider the force multipler used by the defensive structures of the bases.  Lik 1 defender equals X number of attackers.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

So far Zoom has been great at answering questions, I just would like those questions answered after everything is ironed out.

306 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-06-26 22:57:35)

Regarding Turret Range. In order to make a more roam-able island turret can't be shooting at EVERYTHING that comes in their 1000plus range or whatever. Obviously they NEED range to avoid the Sniping H-Mech Issue.

So, propose Three Aggression Behaviors:
1.) Fire at anything once within short range, like 500m or something
2.) Fire at full range at anything that attacks any turret or base structure (beware exploits)
3.) Fire at full range at anything that drops bombs, wall units, or commences terraforming

Idea is to allow roaming gangs to maneuver more easily mid island between bases without being pinched between long range turrets.

Balance must obviously considered for manipulating this system with one guy while 30 others remain 'safe' AND prohibit friendly triggering the turrets with 'friendly' fire.

That allows me to snipe stuff inside the base to put it in emergency phase.

308 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-06-26 22:06:00)

Ville wrote:

That allows me to snipe stuff inside the base to put it in emergency phase.

Do you mean players? They can dock or hide behind base structures. wink

If you mean base structures, I don't follow as based on proposed mechanic anyone sniping structures also gets shot.

No, like the repair nodes, I get close I shoot repair node and supporting structures they go emergency they stop working then I shoot turrets, gg

You modified your post.

311 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-06-26 22:07:57)

Ville wrote:

You modified your post.

This ain't twitter. I often make adjustments to ideas in original post I make them in. Anyway, I thik you get idea then?

It allows me to get too close to build offensive cover.

Ville wrote:

It allows me to get too close to build offensive cover.

Perhaps, just an idea. I just think there should be some secondary aggressor beside ultra long range Turrets to counter the one thing that is problem: sniping heavies.

Perhaps if any wall blocks drop or any terraforming commences in vicinity that too could be cause aggression, so third option and editing post upstairs again.

Sparking to other games

what do RTS games usually implement as long range base defense that is able to harm big, slow, siege units, but is less an issue for smaller, faster units?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Different armor types (light, heavy, medium) with different damage buffs (example: concussion damage - medium gets 100%, light 150%, heavy 50%).
Higher dispersion in case of perp?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Instead of reducing damage done by turrets, I would increase their hit dispersion. That way smaller bots actually have a chance to avoid turrets if they are lucky.. until one hit blaps them lol. Since Gammas seem to be designed for roams with lights and assaults, that could make it more interesting.

No.  Turrets hit way too hard.  Even with your poor fit ERP tanked mesmer, had that building not been there you would have died.

Sure, one Mesmer MK2 against 5-6 turrets. In my opinion they don't hit nearly hard enough.

319 (edited by Annihilator 2014-06-27 16:57:58)

Norrdec wrote:

Different armor types (light, heavy, medium) with different damage buffs (example: concussion damage - medium gets 100%, light 150%, heavy 50%).
Higher dispersion in case of perp?

partially right.

long range base defenses, aka "Artillery" has non-homing, slow flying (or high ballistic ark increasing travel time) warheads wtih AoE damage.

in case of Perpetuum - it would be exactly that. and with the way AoE damage is calculated in perp, you would even have those different armor types due to hitsize beeing an integral factor.
two years ago they have already worked on the system, and IMHO the implementation should be a matter of a few days for testing a ballistic AoE missile turret on PTS.

faster bots would be able to outrun them, heavier bots would need to account for the damage.

even the railgun turrets could be adjusted to be small AoE turrets that do aim at the position of the target (prediction point) with only 5m AoE radius, they would have hard times dealing full damage to moving bots, and attacking a base would involve more then math.

*edit: that way even zooms idea you all laughed at could turn in a feasonable tactic*

You could probably eliminate the tall walls people build by just giving the island a finite mass. If you want to add to the elevation here you need to haul in dirt from somewhere else on the island. So 1 charge to move dirt to your hold and another to move it back onto the field, shaped how ever you want. So the more walls / higher the walls you build the flatter your island is going to be and the faster PvP gangs can reach you and the heavier the equipment they can bring. This should also help apply it's own limit to how many bases you are going to have since everybody will want to do some terraforming around it.

Zylla wrote:

You could probably eliminate the tall walls people build by just giving the island a finite mass. If you want to add to the elevation here you need to haul in dirt from somewhere else on the island. So 1 charge to move dirt to your hold and another to move it back onto the field, shaped how ever you want. So the more walls / higher the walls you build the flatter your island is going to be and the faster PvP gangs can reach you and the heavier the equipment they can bring. This should also help apply it's own limit to how many bases you are going to have since everybody will want to do some terraforming around it.

I like this even though I dont think it would balance the issue

smile

Why cant we control what our turrets are locking and shooting?
Have a interactaction turret that controlls all the turrets on that grid if I tell the to lock a mesmer and shoot it they should ignore all other targets and lock and shoot xx in a mesmer.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

I posted in some other thread a suggestion about maybe reducing the damage guns deal by a % or their range unless they are being operated by a player. In that case they would do full damage and full range.

Lab Geek wrote:

I posted in some other thread a suggestion about maybe reducing the damage guns deal by a % or their range unless they are being operated by a player. In that case they would do full damage and full range.

This could also be applied to your idea, lobo, of making an interface that controls multiple batteries.

ETA when anything of the mentioned things (yellow dots) can be actually tested on PTS?