251 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-24 20:29:41)

Re: Gamma revamp testing

Ville wrote:

I was still able to make those horrid mud walls with single tile terraformers..  Just making sure everyone knows this so 6 months in we don't get wiped.

My middle name is wipe. Oh wait that doesn't sound right.......

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Ville wrote:

I was still able to make those horrid mud walls with single tile terraformers..  Just making sure everyone knows this so 6 months in we don't get wiped.

And by "horrid mud walls" do you mean steeper walls than what the slope limit would allow, or just small ugly hills, but still within the limit? (which is fine)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

And by "horrid mud walls" do you mean steeper walls than what the slope limit would allow, or just small ugly hills, but still within the limit? (which is fine)

Ok so it was change with slope limits, which was my original question.  Single tile terraforming will still allow you to terraform with the slope limit just not the vertical walls.

So is it possible to still do what Tux pointed out was to create a slope where you place turrets on top of and no one can terraform up through it?  Without killing the turrets first?

Do we have deployable cover we can create on gamma? 

With incoming Ewar change mechanic/Nerfs/forum agendas successfully deployed/ are those mechanics be taken into effects for turrets?

DPS turrets can 2 shot tank heavys.  Has that been addressed?

Are we still only looking at 3 bases per island(kinda low imo) or are we going to allow natural game mechanics with teleport and terminal limits to decide?

Have you had a stroke yet Zoom from working 900 hours a week?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Ok so it was change with slope limits, which was my original question.  Single tile terraforming will still allow you to terraform with the slope limit just not the vertical walls.

Correct.

Ville wrote:

So is it possible to still do what Tux pointed out was to create a slope where you place turrets on top of and no one can terraform up through it?  Without killing the turrets first?

I still have to test that, cause I can't really imagine why you can't start terraforming from the bottom of that slope going upwards.

Ville wrote:

Do we have deployable cover we can create on gamma?

You'll have to use deployable walls for that, so you can make balancing suggestions with that in mind.

Ville wrote:

With incoming Ewar change mechanic/Nerfs/forum agendas successfully deployed/ are those mechanics be taken into effects for turrets?

Currently the only change that has been decided for is the ECCM boost, which will of course make you more resistant against EW turrets too.

Ville wrote:

DPS turrets can 2 shot tank heavys.  Has that been addressed?

Not yet, but their damage will be reduced. Basically their damage was so high because due to the huge terrain fortresses and defensive terrain walls turrets were hitting only scarcely, so we had to make those hits count.

Ville wrote:

Are we still only looking at 3 bases per island(kinda low imo) or are we going to allow natural game mechanics with teleport and terminal limits to decide?

In my opinion we should start with that rule yes, and lift it a bit later if we see fit, and resort to range limits only.

Ville wrote:

Have you had a stroke yet Zoom from working 900 hours a week?

Not yet, but thanks for asking.

Thanks Zoom! 

So players will have unrestricted access to build walls?

Ville wrote:

Thanks Zoom! 

So players will have unrestricted access to build walls?

Since we plan to make them directly shootable (and since they are degrading with time), I think we can do that yes. Unless someone thinks that can still be abused somehow.

257 (edited by Burial 2014-06-25 13:53:14)

There is a big difference between a roam and a siege.

If the island is terraformable so mechs and heavies can't pass without considerable effort and lights and assaults can be closed off by walls we are back to unroamable Gammas. Players want to >roam< and PVP and the game is lacking heavily from that department.

Burial wrote:

There is a big difference between a roam and a siege.

If the island is terraformable so mechs and heavies can't pass without considerable effort and lights and assaults can be closed off by walls we are back to unroamable Gammas. Players want to >roam< and PVP and the game is lacking heavily from that department.

Add more beta islands for roam. Gamma islands are meant for sieging?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

259 (edited by Burial 2014-06-25 15:28:39)

We already saw how that went.

The whole purpose for Gamma wipe was to make Gammas roamable, let's not get derailed now.

Again depends what you mean by "roamable". I doubt you want the enemy to dance around in your base without any obstacles. Walls are meant for that purpose, but obviously they only hold so long.

I'd also like to add that walls would not be allowed in the proposed no-terraform/no-build coastline areas.

261 (edited by Burial 2014-06-25 16:22:59)

I still believe it to be a bad idea.

Anything around a base should be shot in the face with a handful of turrets and it's fine, but anything outside the base should be free for everyone. I think the paradigm for gamma development should be shifted from owning an island to owning an outpost on an island. If anyone wanders outside their protective structures, he should be free-for-all with no hand-holding.

Burial wrote:

I still believe it to be a bad idea.

Anything around a base should be shot in the face with a handful of turrets and it's fine, but anything outside the base should be free for everyone. I think the paradigm for gamma development should be shifted from owning an island to owning an outpost on an island. If anyone wanders outside their protective structures, he should be free-for-all with no hand-holding.

So you basically want a bigger beta island? I don't like that idea; its not different enough for the Devs to spend their time on.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Again depends what you mean by "roamable". I doubt you want the enemy to dance around in your base without any obstacles. Walls are meant for that purpose, but obviously they only hold so long.

I'd also like to add that walls would not be allowed in the proposed no-terraform/no-build coastline areas.

No-terraform/no-build areas need to be far more extensive than just coastlines and teleports. I realize you are trying to create build able highways. Perhaps those units alone can be exception to no-build areas.

Roaming the coastline of a mud-walled island is not much different from previous Gamma. Do you think this won't happen?

264 (edited by Burial 2014-06-25 16:35:13)

What I mean is it should not be possible to build excessive passive defenses. It's fine for the base, but any defenses outside the base should be generated by manpower.

(Zoom, it's fine if you plan to make the walls only buildable inside the base, but what's the point of them then? Just to keep NPCs out?)

Burial: I'm kinda puzzled what you're getting at then. Remove walls from the game?

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

I still have to test that, cause I can't really imagine why you can't start terraforming from the bottom of that slope going upwards.

if you terraform a max-slope beginning at a no-terraform zone you eventually won't be able to toch the slope due to anything you do will create a more-then-max slope tile. The Terrain will only be terraformable away from the TF restricted areas.
Thats the theory.
Put some infinite orders into your gamma base terminal to allow easy testing wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

if you terraform a max-slope beginning at a no-terraform zone you eventually won't be able to toch the slope due to anything you do will create a more-then-max slope tile. The Terrain will only be terraformable away from the TF restricted areas.

Yes that's a good point.

268 (edited by Annihilator 2014-06-25 17:12:02)

i also wonder how the errosion algorithm can work with the slope limit in place -
can a carefully placed base allow you to simply "erode" your impassable slope over time? (because it erodes ouside a certain range of buildings back into its former shape, it can create sharper slope differences)

or with a picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … eleine.jpg

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

Burial: I'm kinda puzzled what you're getting at then. Remove walls from the game?

All I'm trying to avoid/point out is that players will start to abuse it and it will defeat the whole purpose of the reset.

Anni: as far as I know terrain erosion takes slope limits into consideration and won't erode further where it would break the limit.

I see Inda's fault MK2 being built.

I would like to point out we need a way to place the wall tiles other than just dropping them in completely open ground, or else whoever is dropping it will get gunned down.

Ville: yeah, instantly deployable walls would be possible, they would have to be more expensive than those what you have to build (+charge cost+convenience fee). Question is, how would you abuse it. I can imagine a player getting closed in even if he is just 10 seconds AFK.

My man, I don't care about compiling it into a wall.  I just need to be able to throw the wall tiles like an interference emitter.  Speaking of that!

Do Interference emitters effect turrtes?  =?

Oh I see, I have misunderstood you. But how would throwing wall seeds around help with that? As far as I know the range of the wall compiler module isn't that long either, and I don't think we should allow building walls from 500+ meters away.