Topic: Gamma highways

I think this deserves its own topic.

So the original idea, for the sake of completeness:

Highway nodes. You will be able to place down highway nodes, and 2 of them connected will create a straight higway with a fixed width, and length limited by the connection range of the nodes, so you can create a chain of them. In the interest of simplicity, higway nodes will be energy transmitters too, so they will transmit their own energy that they need to function. Highway nodes will be of course more expensive and have less connection slots than energy transmitters, in order to not take away the role of transmitters themselves.

Unfortunately we have run into some problems with the execution of this idea. Technically it could be done, but it would mess with some existing mechanics (auras, nexuses, and similar), and would probably mean more problems in the future.

So another idea for player-built highways would be to simply use the same system for it that currently walls and concrete use. Meaning that you would be able to lay highway tiles simply from your robot's cargo. Like concrete, it would fall apart with time and it could be destroyed by bombs.

One disadvantage this system has is that you can't control in any way who can or can't use it, it works for friend or foe alike.

We could also create different types of highway tiles, expensive ones that are durable for weeks, and cheap ones that are good for only a day, but are probably useful for laying down a speedy route for a mining operation between the field and the terminal. (Not sure if something like that would be viable, but an idea.)

As an added extra, we could very easily enable this for beta islands too, allowing for player-built highways there as well.

What do you think?

Re: Gamma highways

Taking in this idea right now.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

3 (edited by Annihilator 2014-06-25 01:24:53)

doesn't sound that convincing.

can you explain a bit more why it would interfere with other AoE buffs?
why is it not possible for a building to paint the highway layer dynamically like it does for blocking passability?

does that also mean the idea of laser-fences is on hold too? (aka creating an impassable wall between two buildings)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

can you explain a bit more why it would interfere with other AoE buffs?

Because it would need a rectangular area of effect, which is quite different to what we have now. We could make the first iteration of the idea, with highway nodes emitting the effect in a certain radius, but that idea was dropped because if the radius is small you would need a lot of nodes (=building spam), and if it's large enough then it would be too easy to cover the whole island with it.

Annihilator wrote:

does that also mean the idea of laser-fences is on hold too? (aka creating an impassable wall between two buildings)

That was never more than a faint idea yet.

ok, so if i understand this right, you thought you would make those buildings the aura emitters (different from the existing highways that are terrain effects) and give it a rectangular shape for the buff, which is more complicated then just a radial effect.

now you suggeset to give us the ability to place something like concrete on the ground, that doesnt block pathing, but   adds a terrain effect like the existing highways.

now, what prevents you from automatically place such ground tile effect in a straight line drawn between two buildings, that are destroyed when the buildings are either not powered or disconnected or destroyed?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

now, what prevents you from automatically place such ground tile effect in a straight line drawn between two buildings, that are destroyed when the buildings are either not powered or disconnected or destroyed?

Nothing really, I'm just wondering why we should limit it in such a way when it could be a more freeform tool. I mean this is not like walls that can be abused to grief/close off other players. So what if someone wants to burn billions of NIC to cover a whole island with highway tiles for a while?

I'm kinda neutral on this whole thing.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

8 (edited by Gunner 2014-06-25 03:27:13)

I want

it will help out with less sparks and now there is the AP

I didn't like the concrete decay and don't like it on highway as long as you can't produce them on gamma.
It is enough micromanagement to see where concrete layer is broken and needs repair without constant haul from alpha.
Maybe you could make them like walls with possibility to repair them with wallcompiler

I'm fine with highway beeing free for everyone.

i dont like the idea with the placing tiles either.

but there could be a thing in between if the auras dont work out for you.

im thinking about it in a bit more geometrical way. if you have two highway nodes then then you have a connection between them (line) then you can create a area around that line (rectangle) all tiles in that area will get that highway function.

the thing you have to do is to have a function that determins what tiles are in effect. that way you can skip the aura effects. you then just need to make checks or changes at important times. like when you change connections, node goes on or offline or gets destroyed.

something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wAauW4p.png

just a small idea.

Do they come with similar repair beacon as exist for walls?

Sounds tedious but then so does terraforming. They should definitely be destructible. Would also be helpful if manufacturable as well instead of another nic sink.

12 (edited by Doek 2014-06-25 14:12:39)

Maybe the whole concept will be more interesting with tiles (like concrete) that need to be kept alive with some sort of highway nodes placed along the route. You power the first one conventionally, then they can transfer whatever energy type they require amongst themselves. So they can't be used for normal power transfers.

Pretty much how the 'normal' highways are laid out - they have nodes running along them.

Auras are lame anyway.

Zortarg wrote:

i dont like the idea with the placing tiles either.

but there could be a thing in between if the auras dont work out for you.

im thinking about it in a bit more geometrical way. if you have two highway nodes then then you have a connection between them (line) then you can create a area around that line (rectangle) all tiles in that area will get that highway function.

the thing you have to do is to have a function that determins what tiles are in effect. that way you can skip the aura effects. you then just need to make checks or changes at important times. like when you change connections, node goes on or offline or gets destroyed.

something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wAauW4p.png

just a small idea.

This ^^

That's what Anni was suggesting above too, to which I said it could be done, I just don't see a reason or need to have it. And as far as I understand, the problem with this method isn't really to create these areas, but to constantly check whether the buildings are still there or not. But we'll run another internal discussion on this.

DEV Zoom wrote:

That's what Anni was suggesting above too, to which I said it could be done, I just don't see a reason or need to have it. And as far as I understand, the problem with this method isn't really to create these areas, but to constantly check whether the buildings are still there or not. But we'll run another internal discussion on this.

I would say shelve highways for now if they can't be done the way anni and zortarg suggest. I don't think players want another upkeep system like walls in the game.

DEV Zoom wrote:

the issue is the upkeep and the re-usability of the system  for other things like already mentioned in the original topic - revamp of alpha highways without horrendous manual labor of free-hand painting ground tiles.
also for said laser fences or revamped beacon terraforming and agricultural implementations (the later with effect-areas by using more then two nodes.

about the "constantly check" - how does the gamma building painting ground impassable work? is that also limited to radial only?

Annihilator wrote:

about the "constantly check" - how does the gamma building painting ground impassable work? is that also limited to radial only?

Yes, that's why every building is cylindrical.

Highway nodes are now out on the test server:

• Connect 2 highway nodes together and they will form a linear highway stripe between them, complete with concrete layer.

• Highway nodes do not need connected energy transmitters, they are energy transmitters on their own.

• They can be placed down outside of the 1km terminal limit and also in no-build (red) areas.

• Tiers have the same speed bonus, this is intended. Their main differences are their connection ranges (ie. the length of one segment) and their connection slots (=junctions).

• Their graphics/icon/parameters are still work in progress.

Tiers need to be from T1 - 24 KPH, T2 - 30 KPH T3 - 36KPH.

Ville wrote:

Tiers need to be from T1 - 24 KPH, T2 - 30 KPH T3 - 36KPH.

Can't/won't do, mostly because the segments can cross each other. The provided speed bonus might be increased though, globally.

We need more of them.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Highway nodes are now out on the test server:

• Connect 2 highway nodes together and they will form a linear highway stripe between them, complete with concrete layer.

• Highway nodes do not need connected energy transmitters, they are energy transmitters on their own.

• They can be placed down outside of the 1km terminal limit and also in no-build (red) areas.

• Tiers have the same speed bonus, this is intended. Their main differences are their connection ranges (ie. the length of one segment) and their connection slots (=junctions).

• Their graphics/icon/parameters are still work in progress.

you should sleep at those times.. wink

question: what happens to the concrete and the speed buff when the nodes are deactivated or shot down?
question2: can you use that mechanic for walls too?
question3: what happens to concrete plates that are hit by an AoE explosion under active highway nodes?

23 (edited by DEV Zoom 2014-07-29 13:28:32)

Annihilator wrote:

question: what happens to the concrete and the speed buff when the nodes are deactivated or shot down?
question2: can you use that mechanic for walls too?
question3: what happens to concrete plates that are hit by an AoE explosion under active highway nodes?

1: The highway between 2 nodes is periodically refreshed, so when something happens to either one of them, the highway strip along with the concrete will disappear after a little delay.

2: An interesting thought, don't know, possibly?

3. I'm not sure that this is actually made up of normal concrete tiles, try it? smile Either way, if they can be destroyed the active nodes will refresh them. *edit: I'm being told you can't blow it up, they will only disappear if the highway stops functioning.

what are these "red" no build areas?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

what are these "red" no build areas?

On the test server you can see this on the only gamma island there, if you set the map to show passable terrain. It's an area where you can't terraform and most of the buildings can't be deployed.