Topic: how would you exploit Robot collision?

This is a "what if" question:

If Perpetuum would get a fancy new feature called Robot Collision, where robots wont be able to travel throught each other like ghosts -
how would you exploit it for your malicous deeds?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: how would you exploit Robot collision?

I think the first question should be: what advantages would it bring to actual gameplay?

3 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-20 16:20:51)

Surround an outpost or a tp with heavy mechs shoulder to shoulder and not allow anyone to leave/pass.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

DEV Zoom wrote:

I think the first question should be: what advantages would it bring to actual gameplay?

Good question.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

It could bring a lot to gameplay: Griefers could block alpha TP with 10 Scarabs and I would sneak under them with my light EW lol

RIP PERPETUUM

How many players would it take to blockaid?

How would this effect how terraforming is done on gamma?

Would it just be bots or other objects as well?

Generally speaking I love games with collision detection.  I don't think this game will have enough players to effectively blockaid alpha terminals and expanding dock range wouldn't have an effect on the game balance..so I believe this is a stretch.

A TP might get blockaided...but then...you could just shoot it and blow it up with an arhke anyway.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

hmm, what advantages could it have to prevent several bots staying in the exact same spot.

have you ever read the argument about "superiour numbers will never be beaten" ? Can someone imagine how much difference it would make with all those robots blocking each other movement pathes? Especially if bigger bots need mroe space then smaller ones?

i know it would be the horror for garg to make the autopilot work under such conditions, or followbots
i know you all prefer twitch-independant mechanics like Interference and limitations on when follow command works.

in case of NPCs, you also prefer to cramp 50 bots on 4 tiles and let them explode, do you?

+1 to stranger danger.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Blockaded toll booths on the 3 alpha ball and chains.  Pay 2 Win indeed wink

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

9 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-06-21 03:46:46)

Games I've noticed with collision have mechanics whereby each player involved in a colission 'moves' to some degree. So if you line players up in the theoretical block-terminal-circle-grief those players are not wall units. They move when collided into.

Actual OP question does not appear to be about "though shalt not pass" but about when you do pass is there damage to one or both bots? how is that calculated? and how long will it take someone to mastermind an out-of-box advantage that everyone cries is an exploit? 

But why even talk about this? I thought the Devs made fundamental decision long ago not to include collision mechanics.

I have an idea: lets wait for some *** forum whine where 1 or 2 or 3 people piss and moan about x and Devs can introduce Collision Mechanics to fix x and break a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p.

What if it was only on beta/gamma?

+1
-Confucius

to many mechanics are "only beta/gamma" to be good for the game. it either works for the whole game, or it doesn't at all.
there is not enough DEV power to develop two games in one. not even multi-million-dollar DEV studios are able to that stunt   (aka Red5)

Rage Rex wrote:

But why even talk about this? I thought the Devs made fundamental decision long ago not to include collision mechanics.

DEVs also made many fundamental decisions long time ago, that doesn't mean that at one time they can reevaluate those decisions.

12 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-06-22 19:52:32)

Sure, everything can be re-evaluated. But why this? Seem kinda arbitrary to bring up this topic. I'm curious how you think this would make the game better. I'm even more curious why you would jump 5 steps forward and start wondering about exploits.

well, the only thing that any1 ever mentioned about it beeing bad, was blocking access to a teleporter or station with lots of robots on alpha where you cannot just shoot the blocking bots or place a plasmabomb on their feet.

so, why not bringing up this topic?
thats more interesting for me then who shot first between cir and joke

Miner bumping. smile