Re: Best Article I've read on why FFA-PVP is a fail..... have at it.

Good to know - thanks all! I guess I'll be sticking to alpha for a while.

PS: I think my experience with Rust is a good indication that FFA-PVP is not a fail. That game has been pretty successful and shows that open pvp doesn't mean being shot at on sight. Maybe part of it is the relatively small difference between strength/power. When you come up on someone it's hard to know if they are better than you so it might be in both people's interest to refrain from fighting. Maybe in Perpetuum the weaker party is so obviously weaker it becomes too good an opportunity to pass up.

Nexonic wrote:

PS: I think my experience with Rust is a good indication that FFA-PVP is not a fail. That game has been pretty successful and shows that open pvp doesn't mean being shot at on sight. Maybe part of it is the relatively small difference between strength/power. When you come up on someone it's hard to know if they are better than you so it might be in both people's interest to refrain from fighting. Maybe in Perpetuum the weaker party is so obviously weaker it becomes too good an opportunity to pass up.

There is that, but in all honesty, the vast majority of pvp is done by people who know who the other people are they're fighting, and very little of it is solo pvp. The games are really apples and oranges and hard to compare one to the other. Plus, many members in Perp's small community get their rocks off by what many would consider "griefing". Shoot first, ask questions later, is the general attitude of the pvp population here.

Nexonic wrote:

The real problem comes when you go to the pvp areas and expect people to not pvp you, or, bring a 1vs1 duel type force to counter you.  That's just not how it works.

Alpha life is just fine for most people, and youll have the option to pvp when you want if you make alpha your main base...which is how it should be for new players or people not interested in constant pvp.

Even bigger problem when you are like the OP, and assume its the games fault you got pvped in pvp areas and lost.

It can work, it does work, but lets be honest, a game like this is a tough sell.  Its not an instant gratification game built for uber casual play where you can show up and win with little effort.

What I would like is a change to beta terminal sieges, and make them public siege events.  That way a newer corp and new players will be able to open their maps and see "oh look this stations going live on a siege in 48hrs, lets show up and have some fun"

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Some people bring lights, not Smokeyii he drops Seths.  That's what I love about Smokeyii.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Stranger Danger wrote:

The real problem comes when you go to the pvp areas and expect people to not pvp you, or, bring a 1vs1 duel type force to counter you.  That's just not how it works.

Even bigger problem when you are like the OP, and assume its the games fault you got pvped in pvp areas and lost.

It can work, it does work, but lets be honest, a game like this is a tough sell.  Its not an instant gratification game built for uber casual play where you can show up and win with little effort.

+1

Inappropriate signature.

Stranger Danger wrote:

The real problem comes when you go to the pvp areas and expect people to not pvp you...

A horrible assumption no matter what the game is!