Topic: Nerf it all! -how to create a game that's fun for the losers-

I'm going to postulate what kind of game would be fun for the losers as well as the winners. Or at least not quite so horribly unfun as now. Then I'll delve into how to make that happen with everyone's favorite thing - NERFS!

First I'll state that I don't PVP in this game. Or ever have in any other game. I have played an awful lot of crafters in PVP games though - only PVPing / PVEing when necessary to advance my crafting skills. I've seen games come and go. I've seen some horrible design choices. I've seen whole games empty out in a couple months because the devs didn't fix them fast enough. I've seen devs limp on with bad design for a while then suddenly fixing things and watched populations explode. I've even seen a few devs leave bad design choices in the game and succeed modestly because there was no real competition way-back-when.

I'm posting from experience - not as a ganker but as an observer of trends and design and populations and sometimes victim.

In order for the game to be least painful for the losers of a battle two things need to happen that do not as of now:
1) The losers must be able to fight back or flee in some way.
2) The losers must be able to inflict some degree of losses on the winners if they choose to fight.
3) The losers must have some hope of escape or mitigating their own losses if they choose to flee.

This game fails big time on all 3 fronts. If you get into a fight one side or the other is almost guaranteed a complete kill, especially if they outnumber/outEP the other side. The losers are often so jammed/suppressed/ENWared that they can't fight back. Or the winners are so RRepaired that there are little to no losses on the winner's side. Teleport nerfs and demobs have almost completely removed the ability to flee from a fight.

To fix this? So the losers don't lose by as much and the winner's don't win it all with no losses? Nerf things. A lot of things. I don't know the numbers but I can identify the cause of the problems.

1) Ewar/Suppressors - either of these makes fighting back impossible for the smaller party. The counter to sensor mucking is to sensor muck the other guy first or more. It's got a little bit of 'stunlock' in that the first to ECM the opponent is likely to win if numbers are even, and if not the one with more ECM is likely to win. This is a classic game design mistake - nothing should prevent any person from interacting with an opponent.

I propose drastically buffing ECCM and nerfing suppressors to only affect opponent lock time. Slowing down their damage delivery is fine, preventing it is not. Or you could just remove ECM entirely - it should never have been added like that in the first place.

2) Enwar - this is Ewar once Ewar/suppressors are nerfed. If you can't do anything because everything requires energy and you have none then you are completely nullified. Nullification BAD!

I propose changing Enwar to an effect that increases energy drain of each module you use. So you can still fight, but each action is more expensive - thus you can fight less often or for less time, but you can still fight. Drainers could have a lesser cost-increasing effect but each time the opponent uses energy you get some of it - thus they have to decide if they are going to give you energy or do nothing.

3) Remote Repair - if you nerf Ewar and Enwar this is what you're left with to negate everything the enemy can do. It will need to be nerfed to allow the loser to inflict some damage on the winner - important for psychological coping with losing the fight.

I wouldn't nerf to completely - just drastically so that it takes 3+ bots to negate 1 bot's damage. In compensation it would need to have it's EP cost drastically lowered - it would become the 'newbie thing' that they do until they can get their damage skills up. Perhaps also treat Ewar and Enwar the same - something somewhat ineffective for newbies to do while they train up.

4) Teleports - you want the enemy to have some chance to escape with at least some of their forces, so that a loss doesn't become obliteration. Total losses should be reserved for those that invite them or are unprepared - gamma bases perhaps. With beta as a stopping point on the way there - lose access to your stuff but don't lose the stuff.

I would simply remove the flagging mechanic for using mobile TPs. Perhaps increase the between teleports cycle time of armored TPs so that they can get less of their bots out, but can still get some of them out.

I agree with Syndic that stacking tuners are overpowered. They need to provide diminishing returns - rather than only allowing one. I don't think that will nerf the problems enough though - you want a good fun game base rather than leaving something in that can be abused if they just work it hard enough.

Full EP refunds for all affecting skills should be provided, of course.

2 (edited by Burial 2014-06-17 10:17:11)

Re: Nerf it all! -how to create a game that's fun for the losers-

PVP needs exits.

2) The losers must be able to inflict some degree of losses on the winners if they choose to fight.
3) The losers must have some hope of escape or mitigating their own losses if they choose to flee.

This game fails big time on all 3 fronts.

I agree with that too.

Burial wrote:

PVP needs exits.

I agree with that too.

1) They can fight back already, nothing is stopping you, fleeing without flagging is also an option, Armoured TPs.
2) L2P and Tactics.
3) Again L2P and use Tactics, sacrificing a few of your fleet to save the majority is valid, all flee and you will all die, that is what usually happens, being risk averse is our enemies downfall.

3) The losers must have some hope of escape or mitigating their own losses if they choose to defend themselfs.

everything that has been balanced within the last 3 years of PvP mechanics (aka PvP flag), has been exactly the oppositte.
PvP flagging was designed to prevent all three points. and if they ever changed it, the whining from a vocal minority made the DEVs change it back.

also, fixed the third statement a bit if you won't mind

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

What are you saying Anni, you are making no sense, are you trying to say there should be no PvP flag?

no, iam not

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

no, iam not

So explain please.

8 (edited by Annihilator 2014-06-17 17:38:35)

what do you need a pvp flag for on pvp island?

- to prevent someone from docking or fleeing to alpha once he has shot a single round.
- to prevent "station games" where someone just undocks from invicible stations to take part in PvP (like RRing someone) and then docking up if it becomes dangerous.
- to prevent logging out during a pvp fight to flee from exploding

but exactly those points are contrary to the initial post. you are not allowed to defend yourself, because it automatically removes any way to escape.

PvP flag once had a counterpart called "agression flag" to differ between "attacking" and "defending" with different rulesets (agression flagged player got killed by police towers, PvP flagged not).
The system had many flaws, but instead of improving them, they removed police tower system, removed agression and turned the game into what it is... a Pvp game with not much pvp.

*edit*
Perhaps someone could explain for what exactly we need the current combinations of molecular instability, syndicate protection and PvP flag, and why they are beneficial for the game.
and please without the usual Corporation Dialoge BS as excuse for not beeing able writing up a fool-proof argument.

9 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-06-17 16:49:15)

YOU ARE NOT LOSERS BUT THE LAST WINNER

EVERYONE GETS A TROHPY!

Also, this threads highlights the failing in mindset of many people.

You got outnumbered, so you leave an alliance with more people than those outnumbering you and claim solo is the noble thing to do but "blob" is too much.  Didn't recruit either.

Remember this game is and should have a good amount of intel/spy/recon content.  Its not hard to keep eyes in and around the people you fight.  This is another failing.  Roll out in a fleet with no detector to fight another fleet that you have absolutely no clue what its composed of...what could possibly go wrong???

Ewar is too stonk, but you fail to make use of it as the force multiplier it should be.

Cant flee from a fight, which was the major issue with pvp prior to the changes.  All you guys did was abuse the fact you could flee every single encounter even if you had equal or slightly more.

The three major issues you highlight can be summed up into refusing to play the game to its full potential, blaming others that do for the games issues, and requesting that developers code in the solution which is available already in game to anyone.

It seems you want an instanced fight system with restricted numbers much like a lobby based FPS.  That is the opposite of what a game like this should consider.

Or we could go back to pvp of the last two years that saw nearly every single player leave game.  The kind of pvp where everyone assumes a trap and runs...no one liked that but the members of STC....because it aided them in their campaign of "don't give them pvp so they unsub"

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

10 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2014-06-17 16:48:37)

Burial wrote:

PVP needs exits.

I agree with that too.

Yes I can see you agree with that too.

Anyway Burial, it seems you found a good PVP exit that works for you, a fast Cam that is sometimes masked and you run as soon as you think your side will get wiped (even though you may have not gotten wiped if you stayed).

Voila, PVP exit.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Mongolia Jones wrote:
Burial wrote:

PVP needs exits.

I agree with that too.

Yes I can see you agree with that too.

Anyway Burial, it seems you found a good PVP exit that works for you, a fast Cam that is sometimes masked and you run as soon as you think your side will get wiped (even though you may have not gotten wiped if you stayed).

Voila, PVP exit.

Or he can stick to ganking afk miners and other things that wont shoot back if burial is looking for no risk pvp.

That's what fleeing is all about, looking for no risk pvp, which is exactly what the game doesn't need to go back to.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

12 (edited by Rage Blackout 2014-06-17 18:56:39)

I stopped reading here:

"First I'll state that I don't PVP in this game."

--------------------------------

This is not true. This is the losing ends perspective: We dont have a problem dealing with other entities ewar.  We understand how it works and what to do about it.

"1) Ewar/Suppressors - either of these makes fighting back impossible for the smaller party. The counter to sensor mucking is to sensor muck the other guy first or more. It's got a little bit of 'stunlock' in that the first to ECM the opponent is likely to win if numbers are even, and if not the one with more ECM is likely to win. This is a classic game design mistake - nothing should prevent any person from interacting with an opponent.
I propose drastically buffing ECCM and nerfing suppressors to only affect opponent lock time. Slowing down their damage delivery is fine, preventing it is not. Or you could just remove ECM entirely - it should never have been added like that in the first place."

-----------------------> "First I'll state that I don't PVP in this game." <----------------------
-----------------------> "First I'll state that I don't PVP in this game." <----------------------

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

1) They can. Spacebar or run away before they get to you.
2) They can. Spacebar the same target.
3) They can. Flee on time not when they're 500m from you.

Actually, ECM/Supressors is the only thing making it possible for a smaller party to fight a bigger party.

Without ECM/Supressors, EnWar and RR will be unstoppable.

Without ECM, Supressors, EnWar, and RR whoever can field more bots and replace them faster then the other guy wins.

There's no mechanic invented that benefits only the smaller group. The bigger group can always take advantage of the same mechanic. You cannot invent stuff based on 5 guys not being able to compete against 50. 50 will always crush 5.

I'm sorry but your logic is so warped I won't even bother any further. If the Devs by some miracle listen to you 5 they'll just end up killing their own game that much faster, and without your subs to keep the game in maintenance mode there won't be another Steam.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Well, this predictably turned into a corp dialogue thread sad
It's a shame because I think you're making good points. Right now, Perp is doing great at discouraging PVP by having everything stacked heavily in favour of the numerically superior opponent (and this includes ewar).

The worst offender are teleports, imo. I don't know what happened pre-steam, but not being able to escape at all unless your opponent is using a mech class one higher than yours and doesn't have demob Zeniths is crazy because it highly incentivises not engaging at all. Before, engaging a numerically superior opponent was a risk, now it's basically guaranteed to wipe 80%+ of your fleet.

No its not just be better than them ffs we do it on a weekly if not daily basis. Im sorry your bros arent logging in for you to fight with, come join PHM and sit at the cool kids table.

My argument has nothing to do with corp dialogue.

5 people cannot kill 50 people, you cannot invent a mechanic that only applies to 5 people without the other 50 using it on a larger scale simply because theres GODDAMN FIFTY OF THEM shooting at FIVE OF YOU.

Get it? wink

CIR Complaint Form

Actually, ECM/Supressors is the only thing making it possible for a smaller party to fight a bigger party.

Without ECM/Supressors, EnWar and RR will be unstoppable.

Without ECM, Supressors, EnWar, and RR whoever can field more bots and replace them faster then the other guy wins.

The title is 'Nerf it all!' - you'd have to nerf the other stuff after you nerf Ewar. I thought that's how it was already, whoever can field the most bots wins? What's wrong with industrial production being a factor?

The point of nerfing _everything_ is to make damage king. If damage is king then the game is more fun in the way other games are fun. Losses aren't total and the loser can usually inflict some damage on the winner, which is better psychologically.

There's no mechanic invented that benefits only the smaller group. The bigger group can always take advantage of the same mechanic. You cannot invent stuff based on 5 guys not being able to compete against 50. 50 will always crush 5.

Who said there was? The 5 should lose to the 50, but it would be 'nice' if they could take a bot out before they go down. Currently that's not possible and it's because of all the problems I listed.

My observations about what other games did are valid. They did these things and these other things happened, which are likely to happen in this game the same way. Perp is not the chosen one, the same principles apply to all games.

I doubt this is even a legit noob. Whether alt or noob his brain is clearly inflicted with STC cool aid

Account is old with some sub time on it, but I only just recently really started playing.
The winners never whine, even if they know something is broken. If you want someone to point out a problem you don't ask the current beneficiaries of that problem.

It highly encentivizes YOU to not engage.  That is your problem in a nutshell.

You view PvP in terms of losing not winning.

Ozy wrote:

Well, this predictably turned into a corp dialogue thread sad
It's a shame because I think you're making good points. Right now, Perp is doing great at discouraging PVP by having everything stacked heavily in favour of the numerically superior opponent (and this includes ewar).

The worst offender are teleports, imo. I don't know what happened pre-steam, but not being able to escape at all unless your opponent is using a mech class one higher than yours and doesn't have demob Zeniths is crazy because it highly incentivises not engaging at all. Before, engaging a numerically superior opponent was a risk, now it's basically guaranteed to wipe 80%+ of your fleet.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

What about people who don't find it fun to deal damage?

Some people like to heal.
Some people like to tank.
Some people like to crowd control.
Some people like to do DPS.

Why should damage be king and everyone else get their playstyle & spent EP be thrown under a bus?

There's a lot more of those people then the "losers" posting on the forums about EWar.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Why should damage be king and everyone else get their playstyle & spent EP be thrown under a bus?

There's a lot more of those people then the "losers" posting on the forums about EWar.

The most popular character types in most MMOs (ones that lack an obviously overpowered class) are the DPS/soloers. The other roles should be viable but not dominant. You should cater to the majority, not the minority.

Nerf everything Ewar seems like trolling to me, you are just throwing the baby out with the bath water. Though I agree some tweaking is necessary and PVP balancing has not been looked at or changed in a long time. Considering new information/data comes in all the time, balancing is a constant process that needs testing, more testing, discussions then change, this has been left on the back burner far too long.

Personally I would not nerf ewar, other than make ewar bots have more drawbacks, like nerfing thier, tank, speed, or accumulator. Having LOS might also be a good change. Or something interesting, make ewar LOS only applicable with shields off?.

RIP PERPETUUM

Xira Indy Production wrote:
Syndic wrote:

The most popular character types in most MMOs (ones that lack an obviously overpowered class) are the DPS/soloers. The other roles should be viable but not dominant. You should cater to the majority, not the minority.

What gives you the authority to state as fact what's most popular?

Why should people be penalized because they enjoy an "unpopular" role?

Why should the game be balanced around the majority instead of a healthy game balance so everything is viable?

CIR Complaint Form

They already have that game, its called Mech Warrior Online.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

LRMs online

Syndic wrote:
Xira Indy Production wrote:
Syndic wrote:

What gives you the authority to state as fact what's most popular?

Why should people be penalized because they enjoy an "unpopular" role?

Why should the game be balanced around the majority instead of a healthy game balance so everything is viable?

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php - 2 most popular are Hunter and Paladin, both arguably 'DPS/jack of all trades' classes. Followed by Druid, the most popular 'healing' class with some DPS.

Other games I have played are similar, but I can't find one for EQ2 or DAOC easily.

I never said they should be completely unviable. I said they should be viable but not dominant. It would be nice if they were useful in small amounts but got less useful the more of them you have in a fleet - but that's a tricky balancing act.