Topic: Official "Dear Devs" Thread

Just a thought here.  Perhaps senor zoom could elaborate on their ideal vision for some hot topics that are resulting in dear dev threads.

I think a major roadblock on suggestions and whatnot is no one really knows what the developers want to see happen.

How do the devs want beta station flipping to look like?  Small group chance meeting?  Large scale battles?

Same goes for gamma.  Whats a developers ideal scenario to how gamma plays out.

Also with alliances (assuming megacorp alliances are still in the works)

What about ewar?  How do the devs envision ewar being used in large battles AND in small battles (I think the test server nerfs are 100% focused on larger fights and ignore the value of ewar in a small group used as a force multiplier)

Perhaps with a bit of a "I have a dream" post summing up how the developers want things to play out would help us in testing and relaying info, we all know that often the players will use stuff in a vastly different manner than those who created the systems and mechanics intend.  I think putting it out there how AC wants the hot topic systems and mechanics to play out will better aid us in giving feedback and perhaps helping create systems that satisfy the developer vision with how a player will make use of that stuff.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Re: Official "Dear Devs" Thread

Well if they don't have one maybe I can help them out.

My vision or as you put it "Dream": http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … e-islands/

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

3 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-06-13 16:52:26)

I like the idea of more island variety however the current intrusion system leads to 90% ninja sapping and battles that lack global politics.

I want station taking to be less baby sitting, more diplomatic alliances and one bigass battle for it.  Keep the mini fights for sap loot wars (why not make NPC resource stations for sap loot and scan those for times of the sap loot drop for mini fights?)

But then...we have no clue if the developers want to see big fights or if they want players to baby sit stations where 90% of the intrusions go without a fight but you still have to wait an hour for it to end...

And don't get me started on gamma sieges.  A mechanic that encourages blue balling (not fighting despite being able to) and sieging turning into a non combat affair involving terraforming and guarding...its horribly unfun for everyone.

Both systems cater to "just let them take it we will take it back when they are not online"

Again, if we don't know what the devs want its really hard to say a mechanic or system is in a place it needs to be....same goes for island layout...we don't know what their intentions and vision are for how the world is laid out.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

4 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-13 17:01:24)

Stranger Danger wrote:

I like the idea of more island variety however the current intrusion system leads to 90% ninja sapping and battles that lack global politics.

I totally agree with you. Been thinking about how this can be made interesting. Looking at old notes that Styx and I put together on how to make the intrusion system better.

Stranger Danger wrote:

I want station taking to be less baby sitting, more diplomatic alliances and one bigass battle for it.  Keep the mini fights for sap loot wars (why not make NPC resource stations for sap loot and scan those for times of the sap loot drop for mini fights?)

Sounds like an idea for them to keep the sap loot code in and maybe put this on the syndicate islands instead.

Stranger Danger wrote:

But then...we have no clue if the developers want to see big fights or if they want players to baby sit stations where 90% of the intrusions go without a fight but you still have to wait an hour for it to end...

I would guess they want to see large fights. The size is dependent on the players, the current system was built for large battles but its boring and no one can be bothered to field bots because it doesn't get you excited. Don't get me wrong there are incentives to hold a beta outpost but the margin is very thin when it comes to life on beta compared to life on alpha.

Stranger Danger wrote:

And don't get me started on gamma sieges.  A mechanic that encourages blue balling (not fighting despite being able to) and sieging turning into a non combat affair involving terraforming and guarding...its horribly unfun for everyone.

I will not even try to tackle specifics of gamma. I think one of the player best suited to speak on the specifics of the mechanics of gamma would be peanutbutter.

Stranger Danger wrote:

Both systems cater to "just let them take it we will take it back when they are not online"

Yup boring.....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Well mechanics are one thing.  How stations are conquered is whats boring.  A gamma siege shouldn't be 100 hours of guarding and terraforming, it should be an epic brawl.

Also, I think the devs are too hung up on stopping walled off islands.  People will find ways to protect their billion-trillion worth of assets on the ground, and if they cant they wont be there.

Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth