Topic: Gamma - the alternative

Gamma and the game in general *might* be served better by an alpha-like sandbox, with small player-built settlements (including 75p industrial facilities) with tiny footprints, all while generating highway terrain (like Starcraft's creep - perhaps with terraforming privileges) around them. I'm thinking small personal buildings (like yurts) and limited slots on industrial buildings, with degradation/destruction after 30 days of non-use. With an aggressive terrain generator (creating some heavier slopes than players can terraform) this might make for an interesting landscape, all the while making gamma accessible to -all- players (I mean, we all had access to gamma before, but only a handful of people, directors, ever got to play with the system outside of the test server). With some effort players can create their own little complexes, and corps can just group theirs together - maybe tie in the relation/corporation system as part of upgrades to make this work out better. Throw a bunch of cosmetic items (for credits, obviously) on it as well, and it'll be awesome for everyone (not to mention a great selling point).

Then do the same on beta-like islands, where structures become destructible on a short reinforce timer (at most 24 hrs - owner sets the exact time/duration), with a quick way to reset them while defending (so the attacker has a very short window). Offer better bonuses (slightly better than OP's, 150p or so), maybe some slow automated mining.

Need even more incentives to get people on these islands? Dynamic assignments and on-terrain events - make gameplay happen right after players get out of their settlement.

Just my opinion, and I didn't want to derail the testing thread - it seems you guys are getting all caught up in details without realizing why gamma was the mess it actually was - other than overpowered industry, fortresses and turret spam.

Re: Gamma - the alternative

I like the idea overall.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

As do I, I could go a step farther and say that all the gamma island could become "beta" by adding in a termail to them, 1 or 2.  Clean stuff up, provides more space, and expands the game over all.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Admit cursory read but generally I think Gamma needs a True Revamp. Ground up rethink on whole system.  Primarily I think it's huge mistake to allow essentially free placement for terminals and terraforming.

+1 for out of box ideas on Gamma. Current box is irreparable.

Merkle wrote:

As do I, I could go a step farther and say that all the gamma island could become "beta" by adding in a termail to them, 1 or 2.  Clean stuff up, provides more space, and expands the game over all.

I've been thinking beta plus. Will again link Zone Terraforming when off this wretched phone.

+1 I like it

RIP PERPETUUM

bumpity bump

and cross link

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/103175/#p103175

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Hmm I like it. I think this also fits in with the recent posts I have been making.

See: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … e-islands/

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

It sound not to unrealistic. +1

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

good idea... and what do you do with combat agents there? any ideas?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear