1 (edited by Gremrod 2014-08-15 14:37:18)

Topic: Bring back police towers

Reference this thread: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/103207/#p103207

As the subject states. Bring back the police towers and make alpha 2 islands use them.

Leave only alpha 1 islands 100% safe

Alpha 2 islands will use the police towers for safe areas.

Thoughts?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

2 (edited by Annihilator 2014-06-11 19:06:56)

Re: Bring back police towers

how would you supress griefing?

or in other words, how would you prevent CIR from doing exactly the same thing M2S did that resulted in the removal of Police towers?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-11 19:08:33)

Annihilator wrote:

Are you speaking about outside of the police tower range?

Outside of police tower range you can attack or be attacked plain and simple.

Gremrod wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

no, i speak about inside their range.
Police towers had 1km radius range, the maximum visual range possible at that time, and yet you had to hug them to not get shot down by 800m+ Sniper heavies, or simply suicide ganked by jihad kains.

don't get me wrong, i am totally for their return, even on alpha one

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

5 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-11 19:14:29)

Annihilator wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

no, i speak about inside their range.
Police towers had 1km radius range, the maximum visual range possible at that time, and yet you had to hug them to not get shot down by 800m+ Sniper heavies, or simply suicide ganked by jihad kains.

don't get me wrong, i am totally for their return, even on alpha one

I think the devs have the means to handle this now after the ranges that were seen from the gamma turrets. wink

Simple to fix though. As long as you are under a police tower you have the syndicate protection status. No one with this status currently in game can't even be targeted.

but that also means no RR or senor amping under their protection.

With the revamp to highways and travel they spoke about in the dev blog that they want to do.

I would say make the highways on alpha 2 have syndicate protection. So people can travel safely from TP to terminal (kinda like warping in eve you are safe during warp).

8 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-11 19:26:05)

Annihilator wrote:

but that also means no RR or senor amping under their protection.

Correct. This is the only issue I can see at the moment.

How about this as a solution.

Agents in the same squad under syndicate protection can target each other?

For those that don't know what the police towers were.

At one time this game did not have 100% safe islands. The alpha islands at the time had areas that were protected by turrets that were called police towers. There protected any agent under them in a 1000 m radius.

The island had multiply police turrets protecting areas. But there were large areas of the island that had no protection.

Perpetuum low security systems in a since.....

Genius, please bring it back after you flip alpha 1 and 2

Gwyndor wrote:

Genius, please bring it back after you flip alpha 1 and 2

Flip alpha 1 and 2?

That way the islands with only one terminal are the ones protected, give those the low level missions and *** services and then when you specialize and move on you go to the different alpha outposts.

Gwyndor wrote:

That way the islands with only one terminal are the ones protected, give those the low level missions and *** services and then when you specialize and move on you go to the different alpha outposts.

So with that change the Alpha 1 islands would be the islands with a single main terminal and the alpha 2 islands would have a main terminal and 2 outposts.

I like it.

I like it because it really is progression that move the market away from the central main terminals on alpha 2 and opens it for smaller groups as well as just making sense that to do higher level production and missions would require you to go to specific outposts. Not to mention as a new player the first thing they do is move to tellesis hersh or shin

Gwyndor wrote:

I like it because it really is progression that move the market away from the central main terminals on alpha 2 and opens it for smaller groups as well as just making sense that to do higher level production and missions would require you to go to specific outposts. Not to mention as a new player the first thing they do is move to tellesis hersh or shin

So true.

Not sure this is time for this but I do like the concept.

One possible change  to issue with snipers and tower range is to give the tower a Teleport mechanic that zaps aggressors to the tower. Go ahead and try to run you evil griefer!

Sparking to other games

17 (edited by Annihilator 2014-06-11 20:54:35)

actually, i dont like it. (the island switching)

noone likes "station games". the alpha1 islands to small to have police zones, outposts AND teleporters. did you forget why they removed all the safe zones from beta?

if police towers back (and i really like them), then only in a way that doesn't involve superficial systems like syndicate protection, molecular instabilty or such.

the key factor was agression and punishment. the issue was mostly that the punishment was meaningless since you just have respawned in the terminal next to the one you have ganked without any lasting effect.
Or in case you just sniped someone from outside the police zone, there was nothing but a pvp flag above your head that allowed someone else to shoot you, and then it allowed your group to walz into the safe zone to shoot that now pvp flagged one.

"police" only makes sense if there is a law, that is not just Mancs ... wink (oohhhh, memories)

18 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-11 21:10:43)

Annihilator wrote:

actually, i dont like it. (the island switching)

noone likes "station games". the alpha1 islands to small to have police zones, outposts AND teleporters. did you forget why they removed all the safe zones from beta?

You move the terminal and outposts from the the small islands and put them on the bigger alpha 2 islands. Leave the smaller alpha 1 islands with a single main terminal.

Put police towers only on the bigger alpha 2 islands. Alpha 1 islands can be left safe.

Annihilator wrote:

if police towers back (and i really like them), then only in a way that doesn't involve superficial systems like syndicate protection, molecular instabilty or such.

Nothing wrong with the syndicate protection for the system. The old pvp system had two flags.  No need for two flags. If you are pvp flagged you can't move into the protection radius of the police tower or you will get instant popped.

Rex Amelius wrote:

Not sure this is time for this but I do like the concept.

One possible change  to issue with snipers and tower range is to give the tower a Teleport mechanic that zaps aggressors to the tower. Go ahead and try to run you evil griefer!

That could work but I think reusing the syndicate protection would work best. And allow squad members to target each other.

Gremrod wrote:

Nothing wrong with the syndicate protection for the system. The old pvp system had two flags.  No need for two flags. If you are pvp flagged you can't move into the protection radius of the police tower or you will get instant popped.

that leaves ZERO room for defending yourself actively. all existing flagging mechanics currently allow only three choices - logoff, run and dock or explode. the old agression flag system at least allowed someone to shoot back at agressors while being on the run.
and from all the complaints... it seems like the first two ones are even favored by the die hard pvpers as they wont do anything without gatecamping scouts on alpha.

syndicate protection once was something to prevent getting killed while seeing a loading screen on low spec systems, especially after removal of the towers. molecular instability something added after police towers vanished, so just poking your nose out of a station could lead to your robot loss because of syn. protection on faster systems.

ontop of that you have the pvp flag that blocks your access to stations and logging out after daring to activate an offensive module, or a repair module on another pvp flagged target.

just having an agression flag for first shot, and pvp flag to differ agression from defense for the police tower sounds better to me...

Annihilator wrote:

just having an agression flag for first shot, and pvp flag to differ agression from defense for the police tower sounds better to me...

Okay I can understand that. Sounds fine to me.

I´d like to see Police towers back also. Yet I think they should be placed on Alpha and Beta. None on Gamma when they will be re-introduced.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

23 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-18 16:16:52)

MoBIoS wrote:

I´d like to see Police towers back also. Yet I think they should be placed on Alpha and Beta. None on Gamma when they will be re-introduced.

It didn't make since to have police towers on beta because they were only placed at TPs and the NPC terminals. Since the syndicate temp timers and the instability timer are in place there is no need to have the towers there.

But police towers on alpha 2 brings  a transition from alpha 1 (100% safe island) to alpha 2 with limited protection and then beta and gamma with no protection except for temporary timers and of course terminal/outposts.

This would allow for game play not seen since early beta. Alpha 2 would become the low sec of perpetuum.

But there is incentive to live and operate on Alpha 2. Currently new players tend to skip over alpha 1 islands and go to Alpha 2 because they are better in every way over Alpha 1 islands.

I think this change would make alpha 1 more important then they currently are and they would get used more by newly starting players. They don't get much use right now.

Bring back police towers, I like that.

RIP PERPETUUM

Alpha 2s would be a war zone and you'd be sticking all the bears on 3 islands.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.