Topic: Autopilot almost locks the game (sluggish)

When you autopilot somewhere far, where you didn't have the plants loaded before,
but is generally reachable (not in impassable terrain), after the plants get loaded and 'block' the entrance, the autopilot goes mad and the game clients starts to be sluggish (jumps to a new frame every 5-10 seconds, slow response time).

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Re: Autopilot almost locks the game (sluggish)

yes!!!  I thought this was only happening for me!  My client basically stops working and I have to alt tab delete close it.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville you can click somewhere (like a tile) and then click the approach button. It will take a few seconds, but the commands will get to the client.

I hit this one maybe 5 times total. Cancelling autopilot (by whatever action) is a workaround.

Happens all the time.

I'll look into it, pretty sure I know why this happens.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

while Autopilot 1
search for path and no catch for errors? smile

Almost.

What it does is that first it does a path based on the data it has at that moment. Then as it goes on the path it periodically does a check to see if the path has been obstructed since, and if it has been, it does a relatively quick re-pathfinding of that part of the path. The problem is that if that short section fails, it will continually retry doing it.

I just changed it so that in that case it just re-calculates the whole path again - shouldn't be too noticable.

In case there is no path after the short recalc and after the next iteration of the "whole" process, will it just fail without going in a bigger loop?

Thanks for the quick fix.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Almost.

What it does is that first it does a path based on the data it has at that moment. Then as it goes on the path it periodically does a check to see if the path has been obstructed since, and if it has been, it does a relatively quick re-pathfinding of that part of the path. The problem is that if that short section fails, it will continually retry doing it.

I just changed it so that in that case it just re-calculates the whole path again - shouldn't be too noticable.

+1 vote for Gargaj for Dev of the Year/Perpetuum Dictator for Life.

<3

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

For the right mind: this is not on the live/test server yet; I'm also working mostly on assumption because I haven't managed to reproduce it.

I've seen what they describe.  It sometimes gets stuck on a plant or a wall or something and you have to 2x click somewhere or try to stop the autopilot or it locks up the client, sometimes causes a crash sometimes just resource usage seems to sky rocket at the same time and it drops to 2 FPS or something.  It's still light years better than it used to be wink

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!