Topic: Optimized Weapon Usage; Working As Intended?

I've been purchasing levels of Optimized Weapon Usage as I have enough EP available to do so, and I ran into an interesting problem this morning.

This morning I purchased lvl 4 of this extension and I received no CPU gain at all.

I'm using a Baphomet with Thelotec-Dabis Light HCL lasers.  These lasers start off by using 20 CPU.  At level 3 of the optimized weapon usage extensions, they had reduced that usage to 16 per gun.  Then I purchased lvl 4 of the extension and... nothing.

I refreshed the fitting page.
I pulled the guns off and put them back on.
I switched out of mech into a different mech and back.

Still says 16.

So my question is:  Is there some math that I'm not taking into account here?  Is there a formula at work that I don't know about that calculates the CPU reduction of the weapons?

Re: Optimized Weapon Usage; Working As Intended?

first, thelotec dabis has 18 TF base

3% per lvl

lvl3 = 18*0.91 = 16.38 (rounded = 16)
lvl4 = 18*0.88 = 15.84 (rounded = 16)

Oh great.  another game where riding decimal places means wasted EP.

It would be nice to not have to sit here with a calculator to find out if I'm wasting EP before I dump a day's worth into an extension.  Putting EP into something should provide an immediate tangible result instead of "Gotcha!  Better luck getting some CPU back next time!".

Not completely sure, but I think you do gain as per the exact figures, although the figure you see is the same.

lvl 3 opti weapon : t4 small laser: 22TF * 0.91 = 20.02 = 20 TF
lvl 4 opti weapon : t4 small laser: 22TF * 0.88 = 19.36 = 19 TF

because you did it on the small t2 laser, which has already built in "lower CPU costs", that extension didn't give you anything.

take a t4 medium missile launcher (afaik the most CPU heavy weapon):
lvl3 = 45 TF * 0.91 = 40.95 = 41 TF
lvl4 = 45 TF * 0.88 = 39.60 = 40 TF
lvl5 = 45 TF * 0.85 = 38.25 = 38 TF

This game needs an Mech Fitting Tool so I don't have to sit there and calculate every little EP expenditure by hand to see if it will effect me.

write one.

i would have done already long time ago, if had macro-skills in excel or access.

You are not really wasting EP, you said you were continuing to do this, you will get a larger effective boost when you hit the next level. Any system that uses percentages like this will have times where you will seem to get less benefit. You will also see times where you will seem to get a better boost than expected due to the same mechanic.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Fitting tool is awesome. big_smile
I wonder if it will ever go public.

The Game

EVE Fitting Tool is awesome.. the one I've heard about for this game is merely vaporware at this point.

... and no, I'm not going to come home from working on the 20+ Dell R905's with VMWare, and Dell M6300 clients all day long and then sit down and start programming a fitting tool.  Computer at home for play, computers at work.. for work.  smile

If there were an API for this game, or even an item database tool, I would write a fitting tool myself. I think the lack of API is probably what's stopping most people from making tools for this game.

Lyghtcrye wrote:

If there were an API for this game, or even an item database tool, I would write a fitting tool myself. I think the lack of API is probably what's stopping most people from making tools for this game.

This may be a bit out of date, but it does include a database of items.

http://www.perpetuum-planner.com/

Lo there do I see my father.  Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.  Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.  Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.

Reviving this topic to ask a question: anyone knows whether the game uses decimals when calcualting total cpu, reactor etc even if it doesn't show them?

If my weapons would use 18,6 cpu each will it be 5*19=95 or 5*18,6=93?

never round up, this game always rounds down.

Are you sure about that? Does it round down even if it favors us? (using 18 cpu instead of 18,9 etc)

16 (edited by Alexander 2011-01-17 16:11:03)

The information displays round but the game uses decimals in the server side. Fitting and module information should display a single decimal point. It does make a difference.

The Game

17 (edited by Seridur 2011-01-17 16:11:35)

Also, the real value might be different to what is shown to us (those numbers are rounded, but the gime might use more precise values with decimals)

@Alexander,
Good to know

Seridur wrote:

Are you sure about that? Does it round down even if it favors us? (using 18 cpu instead of 18,9 etc)

You are right, when it comes to things that rounding down would favor the player, it's the actual decimel places used, and everything else tends to be rounded down. At least with all my experience with the math being used. Sorry, i vaguely saw you had rounded and I know this game will probably NEVER round up.

19 (edited by Neoxx 2011-01-17 17:27:06)

Hourglass wrote:

EVE Fitting Tool is awesome.. the one I've heard about for this game is merely vaporware at this point.

... and no, I'm not going to come home from working on the 20+ Dell R905's with VMWare, and Dell M6300 clients all day long and then sit down and start programming a fitting tool.  Computer at home for play, computers at work.. for work.  smile

vaporware wut?  vaporware implies you pay for the product and it is never delivered, scamming you out of your money.  anything else is just an incomplete project.

And about the topic of rounding:  I'm pretty sure its still effectively a decimal of CPU usage, the DISPLAY just uses rounded numbers.  You will be getting that CPU bonus when it adds up all of the modules, it just rounds the numbers for each one when being displayed.   With all of your lasers added together you should have seen some change on the total CPU used in your fit.

->You just lost The Game<-