Re: In this topic make your predictions for the future of Perpetuum!

Things I predict:

1.) This game will forever live in the shadow of EvE no matter how much it tries to duplicate it.

2.) The game will become obsolete because support for *** DirectX 9 graphics will go away. These graphics remind me of Anarchy Online and the portraits look like what you make in runescape.

3.) Battles will be real dull being only mass blobs where no one will attack each other out of fear of losing their mechs. 

4.) People will still complain years down the line of how slow SP gain is even though you can max out all necessary skills in under 4 years of playtime ( if they didn't add more and you were only specialized in one thing like combat or industrial).

5.) The Devs will one day read the game ideas forum and take note.

6.) When they release a majority voted idea they will twist around to only be half as good as it sounded on paper.

7.) E-Wars will get cloak and it will require 1 extension to use and everyone will be using them.

8.) People will rant about cloaks.

9.) The game will turn into EvE null sec gate camps and nothing will happen other than a few rookie bots coming through about once every few hours and the game will become an instant messenger service.

10.) final... People will post more "future of perpetuum" topics years down the line hoping for something better.

Euphoric wrote:

I predict world domination of Nia by Russians.

Edit: Also, the devs will release 36 new islands of the exact size and shape of the current islands, thus continuing their strange preoccupation with symmetrical geography. The new influx of this real estate will lead to vast swathes of...land... being claimed in the following manner:

"Yes, yes...this is a fertile land and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land and we will call it...ThisLand."
--"I think we should call it your graave."
"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

+10 cool points to the first person to "get it."

Will we have daughters with huge..... tracks of land?

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

ahh, monty python, good stuff

29 (edited by Kyber Mine 2010-12-19 19:27:48)

and props to euphoric for the wash nod as well

30 (edited by Euphoric 2010-12-19 19:36:41)

Neoxx wrote:

Will we have daughters with huge..... tracks of land?

"One day lad, all this will be yours."
"-What, the curtains?"

1) Game will fall by the wayside slowly but surely if changes arent make, like (but not limited to)

- Collision detection. Robots that ghost through each other.. Are you kidding me.

- Anti-zerg. Currently numbers is just a valid way to steamroll PvP. Considering only a single resource (which is steadily available on market for not too inflated prices) is the reason to be in PvP areas... Zerging becomes a norm. Then to counter everyone always brings more. "Why you have so many?" "We thought you had more!". Derp, endless cycle. Needs balancing if the game is to survive passed a few monthes.

- Removal of trick skills that attempt to goad new players into buying new accounts after making unchangable mistakes. Who uses machine guns after starter bots? Why is it even a skill?

- Respec for newer players so they dont just quit the game after such mistakes are made, like most do.

- Reasons to PvP. Like customizing outposts and having meaningful influence over the beta islands.

Thats it.

BizzyBeast wrote:

1) Game will fall by the wayside slowly but surely if changes arent make, like (but not limited to)

- Collision detection. Robots that ghost through each other.. Are you kidding me.

Adding collision means a lot more data travelling through the server.  Not impossible, sure, but they wanted to keep bandwidth usage down to keep sub prices down.

It also has huge potential for griefing in this game if not handled properly.  Have a group of 6 people stand in a circle around the noob spawn point and they cant do anything about it.  Would have to have some sort of "push" mechanism and not true collision so you could go through people but it would be very difficult to stack people on top of eachother.

If zergs cannot be managed by other means, this would be the next logical step.

- Anti-zerg. Currently numbers is just a valid way to steamroll PvP. Considering only a single resource (which is steadily available on market for not too inflated prices) is the reason to be in PvP areas... Zerging becomes a norm. Then to counter everyone always brings more. "Why you have so many?" "We thought you had more!". Derp, endless cycle. Needs balancing if the game is to survive passed a few monthes.

Things are supposedly in the works to start dealing with this.  Lets just wait and see what we get and how well it can deal with zergs.  EvE grew but never got rid of zerg tactics, but I would be saddened to see this game head in the same direction.

- Removal of trick skills that attempt to goad new players into buying new accounts after making unchangable mistakes. Who uses machine guns after starter bots? Why is it even a skill?

Fair enough.  Adding EP deletion cost was a rash decision to remedy the problem, but by far from the best choice.  There also needs to be more help thrown at you at the start that you can choose to ignore or not.  Yes, theres a wealth of knowledge in the help files and forums, but for a noob its hard to sift through properly.

- Respec for newer players so they dont just quit the game after such mistakes are made, like most do.

I've already recommended a 1/2 week grace period for an account where you can respec once (maybe unlimited but that could have issues) during.  After that period you're on your own, regardless if you make new characters.

- Reasons to PvP. Like customizing outposts and having meaningful influence over the beta islands.

Currently you cant blow anything up but bots, so running away when you are assured to lose if you engage just favors being cautious.  Everyone has done it, and unless both sides feel they can at least do some damage to their enemy there likely wont be a fight.

Hopefully we wont have to wait too long before player built structures are in the game.  At that point, if you dont pvp you will get you buildings blown the f*ck up, so being a coward on beta wont be an option.  You will probably have defenses to make protecting your home easier, but if you just run and hide you'll probably start losing your sh*t quickly.

We also just need more pvp islands in general.  The 3 we have is not nearly enough room.  They wanted to keep it smaller because of the population, but when a small group of corps can essentially own 1/3 of the pvp land mass, there needs to be more.  If theres more beta room to get "lost" in, the smaller guys are more likely to venture out and try to make a home there.

We dont need to be crammed together to ensure pvp.  If theres a presence out there that is growing and threatening your way of life, you will travel to find them and try to stop them even if theres 2 empty islands between the two of you.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

commiedic wrote:

Things I predict:

1.) This game will forever live in the shadow of EvE no matter how much it tries to duplicate it.

2.) The game will become obsolete because support for *** DirectX 9 graphics will go away. These graphics remind me of Anarchy Online and the portraits look like what you make in runescape.

3.) Battles will be real dull being only mass blobs where no one will attack each other out of fear of losing their mechs. 

4.) People will still complain years down the line of how slow SP gain is even though you can max out all necessary skills in under 4 years of playtime ( if they didn't add more and you were only specialized in one thing like combat or industrial).

5.) The Devs will one day read the game ideas forum and take note.

6.) When they release a majority voted idea they will twist around to only be half as good as it sounded on paper.

7.) E-Wars will get cloak and it will require 1 extension to use and everyone will be using them.

8.) People will rant about cloaks.

9.) The game will turn into EvE null sec gate camps and nothing will happen other than a few rookie bots coming through about once every few hours and the game will become an instant messenger service.

10.) final... People will post more "future of perpetuum" topics years down the line hoping for something better.

+1 lol

[img]http://www.cryptostudios.com/PO/Sigs/BC.jpg[/img]

Neoxx wrote:

We also just need more pvp islands in general.  The 3 we have is not nearly enough room.

Give me 5 good combat pilots with about 50m cash and I will claim ownership of a non-spesific station in ANY island. Might loose the intrusion event, but those are not the deciding factor.

Adding more island will change nothing. The megablobs will place a scout on each porter and leave the rest undefended.

Since this is a future thread ...

I predict that having advanced tech and numbers will continue to be a winning combination in all engagements.

I predict that until either the numbers or tech of the opposition increases, PVP will continue to be mostly running around the beta island trying to pull defenders out of position or pushing them into dock up.

My prediction... Once PO's marketing kicks in, the internet between the servers and the rest of the world melts down. Totally isolating Hungry from the rest of the world. Needless to say, Budapest will NOT be amused at losing its 56k connection to the internet... smile

Seriously guys, given how bad it can get with the current population, can you even imagine the horrors of three to five times as many players?

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

We also just need more pvp islands in general.  The 3 we have is not nearly enough room.

Give me 5 good combat pilots with about 50m cash and I will claim ownership of a non-spesific station in ANY island. Might loose the intrusion event, but those are not the deciding factor.

Adding more island will change nothing. The megablobs will place a scout on each porter and leave the rest undefended.

You talk like getting 5 good pilots is something you can just hand around to anyone.  And no, you wouldnt.  You might make it past the scouts, but you'd never be able to make a home on an island with another alliance there.

I`m not really seeing anything bright in Perpetuum`s future imo.
Cloning of EvE is just too straightforward for subscription based game to stay alive and kicking.

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

why are you still in a noob corp then

man p and from your 6 man death squad of doom and come to moyar

40 (edited by Kaito Kurusaki 2010-12-23 13:22:55)

Neoxx wrote:
Kaito Kurusaki wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

You talk like getting 5 good pilots is something you can just hand around to anyone.  And no, you wouldnt.  You might make it past the scouts, but you'd never be able to make a home on an island with another alliance there.

As long as 95% of the alliance are on alpha. Yes, I'm pretty sure I could. There is only a couple corps I've seen make a proper attemt at "living" on the beta island and only a handful of those have the same patience as myself. Gerilja tactics ftw smile

In the end it would become detrimental for them to continue camping us inside, when there is plenty of unmined epi fields near other stations.

Ekim wrote:

I'm on Dom right now actually. Where are you?

I'm probably gonna get flamed but I have my special pants on so it should be okay!!

I am a long time EVE veteran, was there from ealry Beta Phases and did quite a lot =]

The one thing that killed my joy in EVE was the zerging and blobs, I loved PvP but as has been pointed out by learned agents above, sometimes blobbing happens just because it can.

One thing I always chatted about was the size of corporations having to be linked to underlying infrastructure. My issue with EVE was that you could have a 200 person corporation but have no weak point, nothing you NEEDED to keep the corp running which would make you have to defend something. Corporation size is purely a factor of skills, not of ability to maintain a coporation of size.

With sensible POS, corporations over a certain size, i.e. 50 players could be 'forced' to have something to defend. Now there's complications here and I might even take some time to post in the Features section, but the fundamental principle is that having your 50 man mega blob is great, but you will always have something you need to defend. You go on a rampage but leave your rear exposed, then you are open to smaller corps/groups coming along and affecting your infrastructure.

Make people 'have' to PvP if they want to play that game, give them something to fight for such that even if you are in a fight and its 30vs50, even if the 30 lose, they reduce the enemy (say to 20) such that they may not have the numbers then to attack your 100m NIC POS. In that sense, losing 30m of mechs in a damn good fight is better than logging off and losing 100m in POS...

Just an idea....

Therefore, my prediction would be that unless PO can do something a bit more inventive in this space, the 6 hour TS conversations whilst two 100 mech blobs pose and smacktalk each other will have people leaving for other newer shiny.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Make people 'have' to PvP if they want to play that game...

I actually like this idea in principle since it only makes sense to have strategic points that need to be defended in any war zone, otherwise it would simply cease to be a war zone. However, the one big downside of implementing some sort of mechanism to "enforce" pvp is that it will almost certainly affect every agent universally. In other words, even non-combatants and smaller pvp corps will be required to defend their own strategic positions (whatever they might be) against much larger pvp corps. This could easily result in new industry players and smaller corps completely cut off from upper level advancement, and worse, unable to compete in the markets due to the severe advantage that would be placed in the hands of a few large corps. There are reasons wars don't last forever: one side usually conquers the other.

I'm sorry to be so negative about it because I honestly like the idea; It just needs very careful implementation or it could easily break the game.

Wraithbane wrote:

Budapest will NOT be amused at losing its 56k connection to the internet... smile

You too eh? I noticed that the other day when doing a traceroute. I have a personal freaking T3 Hardline for my house, and I have to go through a damn 56k line to reach the server. roll

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:
Ekim wrote:

I'm on Dom right now actually. Where are you?

We're currently camping them inside their outpost. Please check back in a few hours.

--------

I predict,

1. They add some form of anti-blob mechanic within the next month or so. The change causes people to form smaller groups that work together independently to achieve a goal with tactics and military level intelligence. This promptly causes a mass exodus of 90% of all players from the beta islands, once players figure out how badly they suck at pvp without their entire force standing on the same tile and attacking with 2x the numbers of the opposing force.

(I was really tempted to do a old fashioned Conan O' Brian "In the year 2000" style prediction, but I've been up for 18 hours. Perhaps later.)

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

commiedic wrote:

Things I predict:

I predict that one day people will stop comparing every sci-fi game to EvE. They'll also stop comparing every fantasy game to WoW.

But I'm really bad at predictions, so probably that won't happen.

Foo wrote:
commiedic wrote:

Things I predict:

I predict that one day people will stop comparing every sci-fi game to EvE. They'll also stop comparing every fantasy game to WoW.

But I'm really bad at predictions, so probably that won't happen.

Have you ever played EvE?
If you did, you should know that the comparisson with EvE is quite valid.

Have you ever played EQ?
If you did, you should know that most fantasy games are EQ clones, not WoW clones.

Mara Gossep wrote:

Have you ever played EQ?
If you did, you should know that most fantasy games are EQ clones, not WoW clones.

The similarities are obvious. But here's the thing...this isn't EvE.

Using EvE or WoW or EQ as a reference is one thing, but it's tiring to endlessly read QQ about how it's better in EvE because...or why don't we do it like EvE because...etc.

Because again...this isn't EvE. Of course it's different.

Foo wrote:
Mara Gossep wrote:

Have you ever played EQ?

The similarities are obvious. But here's the thing...this isn't EvE.

Using EvE or WoW or EQ as a reference is one thing, but it's tiring to endlessly read QQ about how it's better in EvE because...or why don't we do it like EvE because...etc.

Because again...this isn't EvE. Of course it's different.

Missing point completely.

You don't compare anything with itself. That is plain out gibberish. They took the whole basic system from EvE and remodelled it into making a new game.

If PO had created their own system from scratch, this comparisson wouldn't be here.

I highly doubt you played EvE for very long, if at all.

If PO had created their own system from scratch, this comparisson wouldn't be here.

lets see - Jumpage Evolution, planned as Space-flight-SIM MMO -> guess what it got compared to, even without any other similarity then beeing a space MMO
(btw, dead project, one of the Publishers has sued NetDevil)

Black Prophecy - same as JGE

Tabula Rasa vs. Hellgate London -> while both games had almost nothing in common (Hellgate wasnt even a reall MMO) they have been compared all the time during their beta phases.

You will always read "this is like ****" in any game forums, because its in the nature of mankind to compare...

1) revamped territory control will come in. It will suck because of lack of communication with key stakeholders.

2) at least two of the current megacorps will have large scale heists / spy drama. One will survive better (like ecorp did) one will not.

3) one of the major alliances will break up into civil war. A third alliance will form that takes hokk and over time ends up working with m2s. Much blob warfare will ensue only it will be fun for them now it is them doing it.

4) AXE will return and join old brosefs.