Topic: Detectors and detection

There is a lot of discussion on this topic in the thread about roaming but I think it really deserves a topic of it's own.

Some of the problems that people have listed are:
- having a detector with your fleet is compulsory unless you want to look stupid
- small, fast detector bots are very hard to chase down or evade once they have seen you
- detectors effectively shrink the available island space because it's so easy to scout most of an island in a few minutes

My suggestions are:
- improve base detection on heavies and industrial bots, imo it doesn't really make much sense that they are so blind by comparison.
- limit detectors to mech sized bots and above
-Add a ping that everyone can see every time the detector cycles. 

The idea is that if you want to roll on an island and tell everyone "here we are, come take us on if you dare" you can do that.

+1
-Confucius

Re: Detectors and detection

Drive 1 detector through 5 gammas and get back to me on how overpowered they are.

"My corp uses a passive detector so everyone else should too"

4 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-21 05:09:27)

Kaldenines wrote:

-Add a ping that everyone can see every time the detector cycles. 

Not sure where I stand on Detectors but a ping is complete overkill. Actually, its silly component to an otherwise fair discussion post.

In fact I see the problem, that a detector bot can easy cover an beta island in short time, but the solution to this is not increase detection of other bots. The logical solution would be either to limit detection range for all or to decrease speed for fast detection setup. But ofc this had side impacts  that should be careful handled. If you can see enemy not before you stand on it, pvp has complete different problems and demob would be way more important in fleet battles.

Industrial bots should have had a masking boost a long time ago.  The problems not with detection range, its every one and their mother has a detection alt that's L10.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Holding a Beta outpost should already be a "Here we are, come at us if you dare".

It might be a different mentality, I learnt to play while the real M2S was around and there were only 9 outposts to go around. When we took ours we kept it and fought for it, tooth and nail to the last bot.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Oh BTW

This suggestion makes masked light ewars uncatchable, detectors unusable, and masking modules a mandatory module.

In short, it's a self-serving selfish agenda promoted by the same little clique of ladies that want to PVP without risking pixels.

CIR Complaint Form

way to nerf new players! Or to make them run with gimped mechs they can't really run efficiently.

GG

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

10 (edited by Burial 2014-05-21 10:49:02)

Detectors and maskers just need to be toned down.

11 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-05-21 11:11:30)

Norrdec wrote:

way to nerf new players! Or to make them run with gimped mechs they can't really run efficiently.
GG

The suggestion is really to make it so that people don't have to run detectors if they don't want to anounce their location to the whole island.

Syndic wrote:

This suggestion makes masked light ewars uncatchable,

It will make them hard to catch, and that is bad becase?

Syndic wrote:

detectors unusable

It would completely change the way detectors would be used. It would be a bold move but I think AC have never shied away from bold moves.

Syndic wrote:

and masking modules a mandatory module.

It would make masking very powerful.  I think masking would need some adjusting.

It would also make probes harder to avoid btw.

As far as increasing detection or toning things down, I think making the detection range formula something like
detection range = constant + 1000*strength/masking
could help with some extreme cases like an industrial not seeing a masked ewar until it's on top of it.

+1
-Confucius

Not hard to catch.

Impossible to catch.

+ Only way a detector can currently track a light ewar with masking is if they get within ~900 meters and stay there, or take an educated guess at which path the masked light ewar will be taking to avoid detection.
- If the detector pings on the masked light ewars radar every time it goes off, it makes it ridiculously easy for a masked player to avoid a detecting player.

CIR Complaint Form

Like I said previously everyone and their mother has a L10 detection alt.  Now here's were its kinda screwed up.  I can take a castel mk2 and fit a detector and a demob on it.  So what's happening is everyone is using the castel as the new trioar mk2 tackle.  1 v 1 a correctly fit castel mk2 can tank any dps without neuts.  So all the OP trioar mk2 tackles just got converted over to detectors.  The castel can effectively do two jobs at one.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Nerf Ewar, Nerf detection, jeez guys, you're too transparent.

Give use more bot choices ... no need to keep re balancing the same stuff over and over ...

bring in new content so the current content is not so " " over powered

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Duane Dibbley wrote:

So what are "us guys" so transparently trying to do?

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:
Duane Dibbley wrote:

So what are "us guys" so transparently trying to do?

You know what you're trying to do.
We know what you're trying to do.
Even the Devs know what you're trying to do, and they don't even play this game. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Go bold and have the DEVS remove detection / masking from the game. Lets go back to eyes only like we had before all the detection and masking. big_smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Tux wrote:

Give use more bot choices ... no need to keep re balancing the same stuff over and over ...

bring in new content so the current content is not so " " over powered

You had me until "so the current content is not so OP"

This game has needed variety in Bots for long time. I just fear that with more variety the Full Tuner Spacebar Brigade will only complain more. Who knows.

Devs, add variety for Spreadsheet's sake!

Syndic wrote:

Not hard to catch.

Impossible to catch.

+ Only way a detector can currently track a light ewar with masking is if they get within ~900 meters and stay there, or take an educated guess at which path the masked light ewar will be taking to avoid detection.
- If the detector pings on the masked light ewars radar every time it goes off, it makes it ridiculously easy for a masked player to avoid a detecting player.

So what? does that light Ewar pose any threat?

P.S Eve has cloaked ships and  even harder to catch.

RIP PERPETUUM

Gremrod wrote:

Go bold and have the DEVS remove detection / masking from the game. Lets go back to eyes only like we had before all the detection and masking. big_smile

+1

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

You have Local in Eve, free intel.

If you want to nerf Detectors, nerf Maskers, or get rid of both, atm they are balanced.

Celebro wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

+1

No I was j/k. But we did find a bug with masking last night.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Duane Dibbley wrote:
Celebro wrote:

You have Local in Eve, free intel.

If you want to nerf Detectors, nerf Maskers, or get rid of both, atm they are balanced.

Have you forgetten proximity probes, defending mining/pve ops properly, and that unlike Eve there is no GTFO warp button. Seriously I don't mind if they remove both, makes for a larger game world anyways.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

did you read master syndics post explaining that masking is for scouting. and detectors are for scouting those short sighted scouts from far away. and because of that, the t4 masking and detection module must be nerfed down to below the current T1 (but a bit better then T0) and the role of masking must be restricted to light ewars and the role of detection to mk2 lights.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear