Topic: We need more Betas and Land mass.

If you intend on leaving epi on Beta only, than we need more Betas and we need more separation.  Way too small atm.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: We need more Betas and Land mass.

Leaving epi just on beta guarantees that whoever is the most powerful at the time will control the epi flow.

This breaks emergent gameplay - beta should be training wheels for gamma.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Maybe it's time for Beta-3 islands. smile

Slap a terminal on Novaya Trava/Davis Barrier/Rhaoshan and call it a Beta-3.

GG.

Oh and we need NPC missions on Beta-2 and Beta-3.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Jita wrote:

Leaving epi just on beta guarantees that whoever is the most powerful at the time will control the epi flow.

This breaks emergent gameplay - beta should be training wheels for gamma.

You mean, Beta is worth something?
Working as intended. Leave Epri Beta only. Forces people to either ninja mine it or actually work together to either get it or protect it.

I see nothing wrong at all.

With the topic, if Gamma comes soonish, is there a need for extra Betas? Only the Devs have the rough timeline on this.

5 (edited by Burial 2014-05-20 21:37:58)

No ***, Ville.

Currently the world is too small both on island and world levels and it's a shame because it doesn't lack landmass itself, just the mechanics are ***. Detectors make the islands miniature and Spark Teleportation and couple of other features make every island corner easily reachable within 5 minutes.

What I would like to hear is what's AC-s 1-year plan for Perpetuum and if fixing any of that is on the list.

Honestly there's no need for extra Beta's because there's not enough corps actively competing for outposts.

CIR Complaint Form

Burial wrote:

No ***, Ville.

Currently the world is too small both on island and world levels and it's a shame because it doesn't lack landmass itself, just the mechanics are ***. Detectors make the islands miniature and Spark Teleportation and couple of other features make every island corner easily reachable within 5 minutes.

What I would like to hear is what's AC-s 1-year plan for Perpetuum and if fixing any of that is on the list.

I told you *** this about a year ago.

+1 to more beta islands

+1
-Confucius

Syndic wrote:

Honestly there's no need for extra Beta's because there's not enough corps actively competing for outposts.

why should they when their chances to do that kinda relies on your goodwill (norhoop treaty), and not their ability?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

There are like 2 guys on some of these betas

Let's just remove and then bring back Gamma epri every half of year.

Rinse, repeat.

-1, we were asking for epri being Beta only understanding that will limit the flow once population will raise, so we either face that or don't ask for such changes anymore.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

12 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-21 05:19:16)

"if you build it they will come" ?

I often wonder if that would be true for the population of this game. Say we quadrupled (or more) the number of islands AND spread them out so it would take forever to get from one side to other.

Perhaps it would incentivize many to grow into the game rather than be frustrated out because it's 'too hard' to go to beta or wherever. it may not be good for pvp in short term but in longer term... I wonder.

I also think growth of number of power blocks would be more likely. Hey maybe even STC could own a Beta somewhere way up north lol

Ville wrote:

If you intend on leaving epi on Beta only, than we need more Betas and we need more separation.  Way too small atm.

What makes the world to small ? Sparks Maybe ? lol

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:
Ville wrote:

Um, well yes.

Sparks do make it small. Is that not the point we tried to make in 50 pages of the SpT thread while your little minions bickered away against it?

So what you lol about?

Rage Rex wrote:
Tux wrote:
Ville wrote:

Um, well yes.

Sparks do make it small. Is that not the point we tried to make in 50 pages of the SpT thread while your little minions bickered away against it?

So what you lol about?

+1

Annihilator wrote:
Syndic wrote:

why should they when their chances to do that kinda relies on your goodwill (norhoop treaty), and not their ability?

It relies on their ability to take a beta from me or my friends and put us in a position to choose if we commit to a campaign or let the island go.

Rising to the challenge and playing the game.

CIR fought a costly war as newbies to take our own island against veterans in the domhalarn civil war and we were by far the weakest of the 3 Beta alliances at the time.
JOKE fought a costly campaign against M2S and us to preserve their own island, eventually merging into RG.
-77- was alpha based for the longest time under their former ex-ECORP leader as we proactively hunted them across all islands.

Do you think any of us got where we are by being handed everything on a silver platter?

CIR Complaint Form

It falls back now to who the better pvpers are.  The better PVPers own all the stations. Back when it was subscription based there was seperation with Gammas and like 40 individuals playing.  Now that there's a challenge it falls on pvp skills.  Now Why is the a problem?  because we can be boots on the ground in 3 mins basically anywhere.  I told you guys it was going to happen.  And look what's happening.  Regardless, I told you so.

Ville wrote:

It falls back now to who the better pvpers are.  The better PVPers own all the stations. Back when it was subscription based there was seperation with Gammas and like 40 individuals playing.  Now that there's a challenge it falls on pvp skills.  Now Why is the a problem?  because we can be boots on the ground in 3 mins basically anywhere.  I told you guys it was going to happen.  And look what's happening.  Regardless, I told you so.

A bunch of hyperboles and blowing your own leaky trumpet - you can do better. I remember this discussion being based on 36 islands, most of which were gamma, not a whole lot of fun to live on for a lot of players, and usually took some 30 (usually more) minutes to reach if you were starting from an optimal position from alpha. Not to mention that *** autopilot, I cannot remember a more dreadful thing before sparks than running around alpha doing basic trading.

Yeah, we're down to 12 islands - even just having sparks on alpha 2's allows you to be anywhere on beta within a few minutes. With some tweaks to the inner alpha teleport network and highways and a commitment to making gamma fun for most, if not all players, spark teleports can be removed.

Even when there will be 36 islands we will come...

Spark teleportation will be perfectly fine when Gamma is implemented, and people build Gamma bases. smile

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Spark teleportation will be perfectly fine when Gamma is implemented, and people build Gamma bases. smile

Oh, that does sound enjoyable Syndic.  smile

22 (edited by Ensireka 2014-05-21 16:03:27)

Things should balance out when the Gammas are re-introduced.  Just give the Dev's time to correct the mistakes. 

-Ensi

23 (edited by Tux 2014-05-21 17:40:19)

Rage Rex wrote:
Tux wrote:
Ville wrote:

Um, well yes.

So what you lol about?

Stark Teleportation is a relic of the Gamma expansion ... and works well only with the expanded number of islands.

I agree that it is unbalanced at the moment because the bases for it being implemented into the game is not present (gamma).

Im not saying the world should be the size it is ...  or we need to remove spark teleport.

I agree with the OP and we should have way more islands ... add in something like

12 more Alpha II's One terminal on each island (maybe some with no faction affiliation) 
Add 24 Beta 3 (pvp islands with no terminals but has colix and epriton)
36 Gamma

And keep spark teleport in the game with the expanded island numbers .. but under the current island network its not sustainable. This is why I lol because i have been saying since before Gamma that we needed 60 + islands for corps to be able to thrive long term.

Battles were fought in regions of the game before sparks and people knew a corp was on a campaign when they brought 20 + mechs and heavies to someones beta to knock it down (basically having to put planning and effort into pvp). Now i can not say that is the case ... Being limited to such a small play space is going to eventually put us back where we were years ago before gamma people slowly leaving the game and corps dying.

The gamma islands can be released and more added with out the ability to use PBS of TF which is needed. I think for this game to go long term there needs to be islands where nothing can be built or captured, but you can still mine high end resources and hunt high end NPC's ..... even when gamma is reintroduced we still need this ... free roaming beta 3.0 islands.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Seems like -more variety of islands- is something that a lot of people agree on.

+1
-Confucius

25 (edited by Burial 2014-05-21 21:25:31)

Perpetuum is set up to fail again. The devs are working on Gamma while the game crawls on with atrocious soul crushing imbalances.

We are still relying too heavily on Spark Teleportation. Like Tux said it's a relic from the Gamma times that was a band-aid from the start for remote trading and asset management. Betas are still worth less than what it takes to capture them and devs are still doing stupid and knee-jerk changes without any forethought.

Any idiot with a calculator can notice the PVP attrition we currently have. Around 500 concurrent players and only a handful of kills outside Norhoop.